Constantly faulty brand new Jaguar - consumer rights?

mustang01

Sister’s ‘dream car’ 2021 F-pace has been giving trouble since day one - litany of mechanical/electrical issues culminating in a full-on breakdown at the weekend. She’s had it in and out of the dealership multiple times, which for a brand new high end car/major spend is just not on. Bought in March, does she have any right to return/refund/replacement? Am only finding Consumer protection info for used cars etc.

Was it bought from a main dealer, imported or got from the North? Asking because it might have a bearing on what you can do.

If bought in Ireland from a franchised dealer, did she sign the SIMI contract, which is anti-consumer? They say "We need this to account for VAT and VRT returns and to register your car with the distributor for warranty purposes." I say "Rubbish, you don't need my signature to maintain your accounting records, all I, as a consumer need is an invoice/bill of sale that memorialises the purchase transaction."

Jaguar offer lower levels of warranty in Ireland than in the UK, 3 years, but in Ireland it's 3 years OR 100,000 kms whichever comes first, Typically Asian manufacturers offer 6 or 7 years.

Last edited:
Yes, bought from Jaguar dealership in Dublin. There’s less than 10k miles on it. Need to check re SIMI thing it I’d imagine yes if it was part of the paperwork. Worst of all she traded in and paid remainder from savings so feels even more stung.

Buying a new car is no different to any other product - it is fully covered under your consumer rights (Sale of Goods & supply of services Act 1980).

The SIMI contract doesn't change this - you cannot write away your statutory protection no matter what you sign.

With a litany of issues that have not been fully resolved, a refund or replacement should be sought. Write to the dealer outlining all the issues and work carried out, stating the car is not fit for purpose and set out a request for a replacement or refund.

Worst of all she traded in and paid remainder from savings so feels even more stung.
Surely she'd be more stung if she had bought using finance and was also paying interest? Indeed it would be far more complicated to reject a car that was bought on HP.

Jaguar would be very careful about negative publicity.

If you don't get an immediate response, try Conor Pope in the Irish Times or Joe Duffy, although you might not get much sympathy from Joe Duffy's contributors.

Brendan

Jaguar is an Asian manufacturer.
I did say "typically" and there's nothing about Jaguar/Landrover that is typically Asian, just the same old same old British rubbish they've always produced, just electrified now.

I did say "typically" and there's nothing about Jaguar/Landrover that is typically Asian, just the same old same old British rubbish they've always produced, just electrified now.
They improved when Ford owned them and Tata are one of the best engineering companies in the world so they should have improved the quality.
I'd an XF for a while, the previous model to the current one, and it was a lovely car. Not as nice to drive as the 5 series I have now, the engine certainly wasn't as good, but far more luxurious inside and very comfortable.

Thanks a mill for your resoonses. So there’s nothing to set new cars apart from regular consumer protection? She’s not happy with the car, but seems to think she hasn’t a leg to stand on once the garage keep taking in to repair under warranty, but to my mind it’s no different to bringing back a faulty kettle.

Toyota and very reliable and well built but boring as hell to drive.
Would I like to stay mobile or put up with the PITA of visits back to the main stealers just for the "image"? Give me reliability every time.

Two Toyotas, 1 Ford, five Subarus, 1 Nissan, 1 Datsun, 1 Merc, 1 VW, 3 Peugeots, 1 Citroen, 1 Skoda, 1 Volvo, 1 Mazda I've owned as well as various company cars down the years, plus 1 Peugeot and 1 Toyota I bought for my daughter as a student, and 2 Mazdas, 1 Isuzu and 1 Fiat (bought under protest) for my ex-wife. Toyota, Subaru, Mazda and Isuzu excelled in the quality stakes, the Subarus in performance and reliability.

Would I like to stay mobile or put up with the PITA of visits back to the main stealers just for the "image"? Give me reliability every time.

Two Toyotas, 1 Ford, five Subarus, 1 Nissan, 1 Datsun, 1 Merc, 1 VW, 3 Peugeots, 1 Citroen, 1 Skoda, 1 Volvo, 1 Mazda I've owned as well as various company cars down the years, plus 1 Peugeot and 1 Toyota I bought for my daughter as a student, and 2 Mazdas, 1 Isuzu and 1 Fiat (bought under protest) for my ex-wife. Toyota, Subaru, Mazda and Isuzu excelled in the quality stakes, the Subarus in performance and reliability.
I love Mazda's. They are reliable and attractive and really nice to drive. The 6 is a beautiful car.
Subaru's are also nice to drive but the boy racer image and the rather gaudy appearance of many of them is off putting.
I find Ford's are considerably nicer to drive than VW's. Opel's are generally dreadful and the French cars are usually much nicer than expected.

Thanks a mill for your resoonses. So there’s nothing to set new cars apart from regular consumer protection? She’s not happy with the car, but seems to think she hasn’t a leg to stand on once the garage keep taking in to repair under warranty, but to my mind it’s no different to bringing back a faulty kettle.
Correct, the same protection legislation applies, where the supplier of faulty goods has the option to repair, replace, or refund. It would appear that the repair path chosen has failed to deliver a reliable car, and so she is well within her rights to reject it.

Back