Connect TV to wifi for Sky

Monbretia

I'm not that technology minded and I know I am missing a load of channels on Sky and I *think* I would have them if the tv was connected to the wifi. Now there is a wall between tv and router and I'm not going drilling holes but someone said to me there was a thingy I could get to plug into back of tv that would connect wirelessly to wifi.

Is there such a thingy? If so does anyone know what it's called and where would I find one.

Thank you :)

Can you explain the layout a bit further

Do you have a Sky dish?
Do you have a Sky box? which one?
Do you have a monthly SKY subscription?

Connecting your TV to the WiFi and thus the internet may or may not enable more channels - that will depend on how smart your TV is - so what make and model is it?

You may need another box to get more channels.

It would probably be best to contact a TV installer if you do not have enough knowledge in this area as there are multitude of different choices to be made depending on what your requirements are

You can get wifi powerline extenders which run the data through the electrical wires in the house to a second outlet.
You plug the receiver into a wall socket next to your router and then connect your router to the receiver with a cable. Then plug the emitter into the outlet next to the TV and then connect the TV to the wifi signal from the emitter.

Here's one from currys - TP Link are a reasonable brand.
https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computin...dapter-kit-av1300-twin-pack-10166934-pdt.html

Your best bet is to go to any currys, DID or powercity and tell them what you want. They'll help you out - it's very easy to set up.

Do you have a Sky dish?
Do you have a Sky box? which one?
Do you have a monthly SKY subscription

Have all of the above, don't know what sort of box, standard issue I presume.

When I select one of these channels, which mind you I used to have, and follow the on screen instructions it comes back with a message saying it cannot complete the instruction or something because there is no connection to router so it seems to want to be connected to the wifi.

Andy- Thanks, I have a Currys near me so might try them.

It's not a massive issue but there are some channels there I would like to see cos there is only rubbish on the bulk of the other ones!

Don't go drilling any holes until you know what you are doing! :eek:

For example, if you are selecting channels on your Sky box (as implied in your post) and you are getting error messages, connecting your TV to the internet isn't going to do anything for you as it's the Sky box that has the problem.

Can you be (a lot) more specific about what you're selecting, and what problems your having? -- specific error messages, and specific steps to cause them.

Not an expert but I think with sky you are meant to have your box continually connected to a phone line.

Honestly I would ditch sky and go FTA along with a soarview box. I have loads of channels but don't pay any on going subscription costs. One of payment to buy boxes etc

It tells me press the red button to watch the channel, then it says 'sorry, your connection was interrupted. Please check your viewing card is inserted and your Sky box is connected to your router' Well as it clearly isn't connected there's a problem right there to start with!

I already have a hole in that wall for a cable that I drilled a long time ago as there is actually no power socket under the stairs which is what is on the other side of that wall and where the router and a couple of other things are that need power. I would just need to either enlarge that hole.

There is a wireless connector available from Sky which connects the Sky Box to your internet.
It allows for better programme searching, access to Sky box sets (if you have the appropriate subscription), and the ability to download programmes on the catch up services ( eg RTE player).

I got one free from Sky a few years ago, they were running an offer at the time.

Doesn't give me any more channels though!

I have never had it connected to the phone line, think that was in the past, I'd say it has moved on now.

Thanks gipimann, maybe I'll start with Sky so, they have a stand in local shopping centre so can talk to a person! I would really like that catch up thing, I did have some of these channels before though and they just disappeared some time ago.

While I know FTA is probably a good plan I can't be learning a whole new system again :), I don't even watch much tv but more of a background noise and have zero interest in films etc.

<snip> I don't even watch much tv but more of a background noise and have zero interest in films etc.

This begs the question, why have Sky at all, especially with their exorbitant prices ??

BTW, as you already have a hole drilled in the wall then just connect the Skybox to the router using a cable such as this :-
[broken link removed]

Because little and all as I watch there is not enough variety on the few channels available without some package or other, I have the basic one.

Thanks for the link, that looks like a more economic idea even if I do have to pull out the drill! I actually ordered something else from Screwfix last week, could have fired this in with the order if I had been organised enough.

Why don’t you ring sky. They will go through what might be wrong over the phone and will send out technician if you need one.

And charge me well for it no doubt! It's obvious from the msg on screen that not being connected to router is part of the problem so easier to sort that first and see what happens if there is a cheap fix for that and the lead linked to above is worth trying.

I find ringing the likes of Sky stressful too, check this check that, pull out this, switch off that, crawl in under the stairs half a dozen times to check what lights are on, it's a pain! I had an issue with a phone provider lately with my father's phone, I'd say I collected a fair few extra grey hairs by the time it was all sorted!

Thanks to everyone for all the advice and answers, if the lead doesn't sort then to hell with it, it'll do.

I don't even watch much tv but more of a background noise and have zero interest in films etc

Do what I did .... cancel Sky. I saved a pile of money and got rid of a service that I had lost interest in. I can watch the channels I want using a variety of apps on my tablet.

If you want background noise, turn on the radio. It's a lot cheaper.

It tells me press the red button to watch the channel, then it says 'sorry, your connection was interrupted. Please check your viewing card is inserted and your Sky box is connected to your router' Well as it clearly isn't connected there's a problem right there to start with!

Ok, this is for catchup TV or BBC Red Button+, right? So yes, all you need is to connect your Sky box to your router. DO NOT BUY THE CABLE that SparkRite linked above (sorry SparkRite). That's a phone/modem cable with RJ11 connectors. You need an Ethernet cable, with RJ45 connectors. Something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00N2VISLW (also available in PC World, Power City etc.)

That's if you're certain your Sky Box doesn't already have WiFi built in. What model is it?

Do what I did .... cancel Sky. I saved a pile of money and got rid of a service that I had lost interest in. I can watch the channels I want using a variety of apps on my tablet.

Did I mention I wasn't great with this sort of stuff :) I don't have a tablet or apps, I'm not a radio fan either, I usually play music when I am at home other than evenings when a sit down with fire and tv is nice. It's not just myself I have to think of anyway so need to keep some sort of choice. I'm just not interested in this sort of technology, I know lots of people have every new gadget/system going, I just want basic enough tv without too much complication. What I have is fine just would be better if I could access a few more bits with a simple lead.

Yes, I would really like that catch up service so will try that cable dub_nerd, have a currys nearby.

Don't know model of skybox offhand, I can find that info later.

...maybe I'll start with Sky so, they have a stand in local shopping centre so can talk to a person!

Don't bother with that, they're just an agent on commission to bring in new customers, they'll just tell you to phone Sky.

Because little and all as I watch there is not enough variety on the few channels available without some package or other, I have the basic one.

Adding the interactive services isn't going to give you any new channels, just the ability to watch programming from the ones you already have on demand.

Don't know model of skybox offhand, I can find that info later.

If you have the box since before 2013, you will need to connect it via cable to the router. If it's a newer box, it likely has wifi built-in. Try follow this guide, if you don't have the wireless set up menu, you have an older box. Having been a customer that long, Sky will send you out a new box in order to retain you as a customer if you'd prefer not to run cables.

Thanks, that looks easy to follow, will have a try of that later. I'm definitely with Sky since before 2013 but feel there was a newer box sent out at some stage, think I already tried that threatening to leave business which might have been why I got it :)

Back