Motor Comprehensive Insurance & Temporary Car rental

John Sipos

I have a comprehensive policy with Axa that includes comprehensive insurance when driving other cars. Does any one know does "other cars" include a rental car? I called them but the person I spoke to didn't know (seriously)

I need to rent a car (remaining in ireland) for 3 weeks and the full insurance would be more than an extra €850 (over €40 per day). Obviously if my existing insurance covers me I don't need to pay that extortionate extra amount. Anyone have any insights?

I would expect "Driving other cars" to provide third party cover only while you are driving the other car. Likely your rental company expects comprehensive?

Can you clarify if you will need cover on your main vehicle and this additional vehicle at the same time or if you are want to temporarily transfer your policy to another car.

Some policies offer a "temporary vehicle" cover option for a fee up to 28 days - which would be far less than €850, but I'm not sure if that cover is comprehensive or third party.
Someone in AXA would have to know that!

ps if you got a booklet or PDF from Axa when you took out your policy, have a read through it - it might have more information about the temporary vehicle cover than the person you spoke to :)

Their terms clearly state that this cover does not apply to cars leased or hired by you. Quite a few other exclusions apply too.

You may be able to have your insurance temporarily switched to the rental car. I've done that before now, but I can't remember who my policy was with at the time.

your existing insurance almost certainly does not cover you on a rental, but you can buy "excess insurance" from https://www.carhireexcess.ie/ (and others) that is much cheaper than taking the hire companies "super waiver" cover.

I would expect "Driving other cars" to provide third party cover only while you are driving the other car. Likely your rental company expects comprehensive?

Some policies offer a "temporary vehicle" cover option for a fee up to 28 days - which would be far less than €850, but I'm not sure if that cover if comprehensive or third party.
Someone in AXA would have to know that!

See below:

I have a comprehensive policy with Axa that includes comprehensive insurance when driving other cars. Does any one know does "other cars" include a rental car? I called them but the person I spoke to didn't know (seriously)

The clause in my insurance about driving other cars states that you are insured to drive another car, only if that car is covered under an insurance policy.

In other words, its only to be used to drive a friends car where you are not a named driver not replace insurance on the car you are driving

your existing insurance almost certainly does not cover you on a rental, but you can buy "excess insurance" from carhireexcess (and others) that is much cheaper than taking the hire companies "super waiver" cover.
Thanks I'll check that out if I can't get a definitive answer from Axa

The clause in my insurance about driving other cars states that you are insured to drive another car, only if that car is covered under an insurance policy.

In other words, its only to be used to drive a friends car where you are not a named driver not replace insurance on the car you are driving

The rental car would be "covered by an insurance policy" just not the 'super excess' upgraded cover that the rental car sells. Rental cars have insurance disks which I assume are valid.

1b Driving other cars
This cover will also apply if you are driving any other car which your certificate
of insurance covers you to drive. If you are covered to drive other cars, it will
be shown in section 5(b) of your certificate of insurance.
This cover only applies if:
you do not own the car or you have not hired the car under a
hire-purchase agreement;
it is shown that this cover applies under section 5(b) of your certificate
of insurance;
you have the owner’s permission to drive the car; and
the vehicle is being used within the ‘limits for use’ shown in your current
certificate of motor insurance.
This cover applies to damage or injury happening in Ireland and the UK only.
This extension applies only to private passenger vehicles. It does not include
vans, car-vans, jeeps with no seats in the back or vans adapted to carry
passengers.

Looks clear cut to me.

Just as an aside on this, I heard on the radio of some company offering a cheaper alternative to the rental car comprehensive insurance offered by car hire companies but missed the name of them. Anyone know any company offering this?

I think it was a company called fleet. They were promising that they would have insurance cover sorted 'very soon'. Will be interesting to see if they can get cover as they are going down a complex road (allowing private individuals rent out their own vehicles). Seems to work well in France and the US, but would be surprised if they can get something sorted here.

1b Driving other cars
This cover will also apply if you are driving any other car which your certificate
of insurance covers you to drive. If you are covered to drive other cars, it will
be shown in section 5(b) of your certificate of insurance.
This cover only applies if:
you do not own the car or you have not hired the car under a
hire-purchase agreement;
it is shown that this cover applies under section 5(b) of your certificate
of insurance;
you have the owner’s permission to drive the car; and
the vehicle is being used within the ‘limits for use’ shown in your current
certificate of motor insurance.
This cover applies to damage or injury happening in Ireland and the UK only.
This extension applies only to private passenger vehicles. It does not include
vans, car-vans, jeeps with no seats in the back or vans adapted to carry
passengers.

Looks clear cut to me.

Thank you, yes that looks clear cut that it does cover a rental car. I looked at my cert and the wording is slightly different but substantially the same. Thank you.

Thank you, yes that looks clear cut that it does cover a rental car.

Just to be clear, check the website for the T&Cs that apply the when your most recent policy was taken out, the more recent ones clearly state that it does NOT cover cars rented or leased in your name.

Just to be clear, check the website for the T&Cs that apply the when your most recent policy was taken out, the more recent ones clearly state that it does NOT cover cars rented or leased in your name.
The only reference to ownership /hire on my current cert is "you do not own the car or you have not hired the car under a
hire-purchase agreement
"
I think the reference to hiring under a hire-purchase agreement is because that's not really "hiring" at all and is really ownership.

The only reference to ownership /hire on my current cert is "you do not own the car or you have not hired the car under a hire-purchase agreement"

Don't rely on the cert, the policy booklet contains the full cover details and terms. Every Axa policy sold for the last number of years contains, among other terms:
It does not include:
– Vehicles hired or leased to you

I think the reference to hiring under a hire-purchase agreement is because that's not really "hiring" at all and is really ownership.

No, it's really a rental agreement with an option to buy at the end. Legal ownership of the car does not transfer until the final payment is made.

Thanks I'll check that out if I can't get a definitive answer from Axa

There's also Worldwideinsure and Insurance4carhire. Watch out with the car rental companies, I've observed them many times try and confuse consumers in Dublin with sales patter that these insurances 'may' not be valid. They are. No need to pay the daily excess and just one main holiday hire a year justifies the cost of these policies. When you queue after long flights the car hire companies know how to wear you down.

"driving other cars" extension only covers your driving though, not the vehicle itself - i.e. it's 3rd party cover for injury/damage to other people and their property. Damage to the car you are driving is covered by the policy on that car.

If anyone has successfully used the "driving other cars" extension to claim for damage to a hire car (or indeed any car being driven under that extension) I'd be interested to hear about it .

"driving other cars" extension only covers your driving though, not the vehicle itself - i.e. it's 3rd party cover for injury/damage to other people and their property. Damage to the car you are driving is covered by the policy on that car.

I think it's unusual, but the Axa policy does include cover for the car being driven.

Back