Company I work for is being taken over. Entitled to redundancy from orignial owners?

J

john o

The company I work for is being bought/taken over,as far as I know it is being bought as a going concern.I was wondering would I be entitled to redundacy from the previous owners.I have worked for the co. for over 5 years.
Thanks
John

Re: Redundacy

You mean will your time served with the original employer count under the new ownership if/when it comes to redundancy? Or are you already faced with a potential or actual redundancy option? Probably an idea to read up on the TUPE rules and how they might relate to your situation. It's an old thread and some of the links may be broken so if in doubt check out the DETE and websites as well.

Sounds like the OP wants to claim redundancy from the previous employers even though he is keeping his job with the new employers.

OK - maybe some clarification of the original query is required so.

Hi There,

If the OP keeps his job he is not entitled to any redundancy from the old employer. There are two methods of working a takeover, 1, which is the norm, the new employer takes on staff and maintains their existing rights entitlements customs & practice etc therefore in this case the OP service just continues along. In scenario no. 2 the original employer makes all staff redundant and they can then re-apply for their jobs with the new employer. Op may or may not get his job back under option two!. i think option one is the norm and i'm not sure if option two is legal anymore. it sounds like OP wishes to have redundancy and his job which is not how life works out!

To further second guess the OP I thought he was asking if he can force them to offer him redundancy, in a situation where the new owners are offering him a job, and maybe he'd prefer a redundancy.

To further second guess the OP I thought he was asking if he can force them to offer him redundancy, in a situation where the new owners are offering him a job, and maybe he'd prefer a redundancy.
I read it that way too.

The answer is no, you cant force them to give you redundancy if you wish to terminate your employment as your job is still available, they have just changed the ownership of the company. However, maybe the company might be feeling generous and offer you redundancy anyway to streamline etc etc
Finbarr

Re: Company I work for is being taken over. Entitled to redundancy from orignial owne

Hi Bond,

Perhaps you could post some of the questions not addressed by those websites here in the AAM Work/Employment forum?

aj

Back