Common understanding of terms

The Cork-English word "Left" is often used instead of the English word "Let".
This can cause confusion on the rare occasion that a Cork person is actually being listened to.

"He was left off"
"I felt left down".

I've always found it grating when some 17 year old thug is charged with serious violent offences before the Children's Court
The concept of a Children's Court is strange. Children shouldn't be allowed to administer justice. How can children be expected to function as judges and lawyers?
There should be an Adult Court in which justice is administered to children who are accused of offences.

I remember back in junior school asking the English teacher "Can I go to the toilet"
He answered "You can go but you may not"
Who ever said English was an easy language to learn.....
My children sometimes ask me how I spell a word. When I tell them they say "no, that's incorrect". I reply that "no, it's not incorrect, that's how I spell it".
They then ask me how it should be spelled, which is what they should have asked me in the first place. That's an entirely different question.

They could have done with more exposure our late Aunty Lizzie.

"Pater, how does one spell Corkonian?"

"One doesn't find it necessary to engage in such activities child, not since Raleigh's time."

"Parent and child" parking space is another one interpreted very widely by some people.

In Tesco with my elderly mother looking for a car parking space. She spots one. I point out that it is a "Parent and child" only space. She points out that even though she is late 70s she is still my parent and I am still her child . There was no answer to that..........

I didn't park in the space ...............

Ad advert on the radio at the moment claims that one in four people in Ireland die of thrombosis each year.
That sort of alarmist nonsense shouldn't be allowed. Fewer than one in every one hundred and fifty people die each year in Ireland.

Ad advert on the radio at the moment claims that one in four people in Ireland die of thrombosis each year.
That sort of alarmist nonsense shouldn't be allowed. Fewer than one in every one hundred and fifty people die each year in Ireland.
Surely that means I have an even chance of living to 150 ? @Duke of Marmalade

Surely that means I have an even chance of living to 150 ? @Duke of Marmalade
They say an actuary is a cross between an undertaker and a bookie. So before I quote you odds please advise me of :
Your age
Your gender
Your marital status
Your smoking habits
Your drinking habits
Your BMI (weight to height squared)
Where you live
Your occupation
Your race
Your hazardous pursuits
Any other medical condition which might be relevant
I might be able to quote 150/1

In the last 1,000 years approx 13 billion people have been born. About 8 billion of these are still alive. Statistically the case that everyone dies is not well established.

Mrs C bought a couple of "One for all gift cards" for Christmas pressies and I was a little amused by the email she received

The email receipt was sent from
donotreply@one4all.ie

Questions about your order?
You can email us at donotreply@one4all.ie or visit the help section

But at the end of the email is this
This inbox is unattended so please don’t reply to this email.

Thankfully if you go into the "help section" you will find a phone number and a correct email address