Common understanding of terms

Broadly yes.

The one I'm less clear on is "over X years of age". I would take it to mean you must be aged at least 6 years of age but it could also be read as you must be at least 7. It seems needlessly vague.

I guess this is more in terms of a poll on how people would read some T&Cs

For example:

"Breakfast served 9am-10am" - to me would read that service finishes at 10am

"Children must be over 6 years of age", in my reading would include someone who turned 6 last month, as they are now aged 6 years and 1 month.

"Facilities only available to those aged 18-22" would include anyone who is 18 up to 22, but exclude someone who has turned 23, even if that was just yesterday.

Would anyone have a different view?
I really wouldn't care if there was a 5 year old in something for over 6's, or a 17 or 23 year old in something for 18-22 year olds.

But if I was in a hotel and breakfast service finishes at 10am and I woke up at 9:55am, watch me sprint to the breakfast room to get my fry before they closed. ;)

"Breakfast served 9am-10am" - to me would read that service finishes at 10am
Back in college we were told that we had a continuous assessment test next morning, 10-11. One of my classmates arrived at 10:50 with only 10 minutes left... I guess that's software people for you. ;)

Back in college we were told that we had a continuous assessment test next morning, 10-11. One of my classmates arrived at 10:50 with only 10 minutes left... I guess that's software people for you. ;)
Similar, my daughter got a part time job in the local pub, the manager said be there Friday 5 to 8, daughter turned up Friday at 19:55 expecting she would be working until closing time.

What the manager had meant was to be there for the busy 5 pm to 8 pm period.

Funny side was seen by all.

I rang a hospital outpatients for an appointment recently. I was told, yes that was fine, one was available from "ten to twelve." Did that suit me? It did.
- Ok then, I'll take it at ten am.
- No, no, I said ten to twelve! (1150)

Glad we clarified that. Hate to be sitting around a waiting room for nearly two hours.

really wouldn't care if there was a 5 year old in something for over 6's, or a 17 or 23 year old in something for 18-22 year olds.
You might if, for example, your liability insurance excluded anyone under 6 years of age.

Or, another example, if a benefit of some type was stopped on the person's 22nd birthday.

Verbal misunderstandings, whilst amusing when recounted as an anecdote, can have significant repercussions. Which is why we write things down.

I'm interested in what the common understanding of age / date / time limits might be.

Verbal misunderstandings, whilst amusing when recounted as an anecdote, can have significant repercussions. Which is why we write things down.
There's another misunderstanding. "Verbal" means composed of words, which can be written or spoken. Spoken words are "oral" or by mouth.

"Canvassing will Disqualify" likely meant who you know is best . . .

and

"Enjoy your trip back to Cork" meant you have failed the interview.

Unfortunately, this was moved to 'letting off steam'; which is not the case.

Common understanding of terms has real world implications in consumer affairs; and that is what I wished to discuss.

Mods may close this thread.

Common understanding of terms has real world implications in consumer affairs; and that is what I wished to discuss.
If you want to get into a specific example, let's be clear on what that is. Speaking in generalities just encourages more generalities, and so this is really more suited to Shooting the Breeze.

I think signs saying "Slow Children at Play" are in very bad taste.
It shouldn't matter what the speed or mental capacity of the children is and while the former may be of use to motorists their mental facilities are not.

I also find it strange that parking spots can be disabled and that such spots are usually meant for people with disabilities. It's bad form that those spots are not looked after properly.
The same goes for toilets designated for public use.

Last edited:
I often hear politicians say that a problem is an issue for Government. While that's true it would be more useful if they specified which government they were talking about. If they said that it was an issue for the Government then we'd know that they were talking about our Government.

I often hear politicians say that a problem is an issue for Government. While that's true it would be more useful if they specified which government they were talking about. If they said that it was an issue for the Government then we'd know that they were talking about our Government.
"That would be telling" ... who the real Government is.

Back