Common understanding of terms

one example I've always found odd, a 16-18 child Leap card is valid until the day before your 19th birthday. So you can get the Luas on a child ticket to meet your driving instructor and car to sit your adult driving test and then get your child ticket back home on the Luas. Or you can get a child ticket to work and be taxed as an adult.

one example I've always found odd, a 16-18 child Leap card is valid until the day before your 19th birthday. So you can get the Luas on a child ticket to meet your driving instructor and car to sit your adult driving test and then get your child ticket back home on the Luas. Or you can get a child ticket to work and be taxed as an adult.
A 16 - 17 year old isn't a child, they may not be adults, but something like 'youth' is more appropriate I think.
And 18 year old definitely isn't!
More language abuse...

But then we couldn't read stats about many children are in some sob story situation...

A 16 - 17 year old isn't a child, they may not be adults, but something like 'youth' is more appropriate I think.
And 18 year old definitely isn't!
More language abuse...
I’d bet the 18 year old is neutral on the issue

Last edited:
I've always found it grating when some 17 year old thug is charged with serious violent offences before the Children's Court and gets the usual finger wagging and a trivial sentence at Oberstown Holiday Camp.
Yes, he may technically be a child, but he's not behaving as one and shouldn't be treated as one.

I was thinking about this thread yesterday while out for a walk and though it's more than likely not what Thirsty was referring to in their OP
I live in Blackrock and when out for walks I quite often walk through many of the parks that are close by to me and nearly all of them have a sign at the entrances informing you of the rules of usage, one of these is "All dogs must be kept on a lead". So I was laughing to myself when I saw a few dogs running around as happy as can be with their leads on but the owners weren't holding the other end of the lead??

One from my teenage years when we weren't so PC was in my local tennis club "Whites only on court"

People saying “America” when they mean the United States of America.
People say Britain or England when they mean the UK.
People say The Republic of Ireland (a football team) when they mean Ireland (a country).

The other temporal confusion in Ireland is the use of " this week" and "next week". In my view if you're talking at the weekend about a future event in the next 5-6 days; that is going to happen this week. Most Irish people say it's going to happen next week.

I lived in the UK for years and their understanding of this week/ next week is the same as mine. I think Irish people are incorrect on this one.

The other temporal confusion in Ireland is the use of " this week" and "next week". In my view if you're talking at the weekend about a future event in the next 5-6 days; that is going to happen this week. Most Irish people say it's going to happen next week.

I lived in the UK for years and their understanding of this week/ next week is the same as mine. I think Irish people are incorrect on this one.
I always saw Monday as the start of a new week so any event during the next seven days is this week and any event starting after the following Monday is next week. So I would say the Irish are correct and the English are incorrect here just like their views of the EU ;)

So based on your thinking ..on the Sunday I mentioned above, then " last Monday" in your logic is almost a fortnight ago. Well that can't be right. ;)

So based on your thinking ..on the Sunday I mentioned above, then " last Monday" in your logic is almost a fortnight ago. Well that can't be right. ;)
I'm a bit lost here on your thinking but then it is Monday morning and they for me are normally brain dead days ;)
Last Monday is the Monday just gone and next Monday is well the next Monday to come, Monday fortnight is two Mondays away
And dare I add that this Monday can refer to today or next Monday depending on how the sentence is used

I remember back in junior school asking the English teacher "Can I go to the toilet"
He answered "You can go but you may not"
Who ever said English was an easy language to learn.....

Last edited:
I'm a bit lost here on your thinking but then it is Monday morning and they for me are normally brain dead days ;)
Last Monday is the Monday just gone and next Monday is well the next Monday to come, Monday fortnight is two Mondays away
I would say:
Next Monday = the next Monday
Monday week = the second next Monday
Monday fortnight = the third next Monday

Eg, as we write today (13th April) next Monday is the 18th, Monday week is the 25th and Monday fortnight is the 2nd May.

And dare I add that this Monday can refer to today or next Monday depending on how the sentence is used
I would say that "this" in relation to any weekday is the particular weekday in this week. For example, again writing on Wednesday 13th, "this Monday" refers to the 11th, but "this Friday" refers to the 15th. In either case it refers to the Monday or Friday of this week.
I remember back in junior school asking the English teacher "Can I go to the toilet"
I think we all had an English teacher like that!

I can't believe that I thought today was Monday!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Now that I've woken up and realised that its not Monday you are totally correct in your assumptions Baby boomer

"Next Monday = the next Monday
Monday week = the second next Monday
Monday fortnight = the third next Monday

Eg, as we write today (13th April) next Monday is the 18th, Monday week is the 25th and Monday fortnight is the 2nd May."

Last edited:

The correct reply to questions like "Would you like to go out tonight or just stay at home?" is "Yes".

Methinks 'Decimate' is very often used where 'Devastate' is more apt. That said, my grasp of Hiberno-English is borderline.

And it's "I am posting on askaboutmoney at present" rather than "I am presently posting on askaboutmoney."

But I will take a break presently.

Most Irish people are correct then, a week is not an arbitrary measure of 7 days from the present.

The first day of the week in Ireland, and the majority of the world (North America the major exceprion) is Monday. There's even an ISO standard on the conventions of time and date so as to ensure common understanding. So if you're talking about something that is not happening within the current week, it can't be this week.

My favourite piece of Hiberno-English is the incredibly useful present continuous tense. A neat lift from Irish grammar of course. It does be very handy at times and is an elegant and efficient usage that avoids the clear ambiguity in Her Majesty's rather inferior, and more restricted repertoire. As seen below.

Queen's English: Is the train crowded?

Hiberno-English: Is the train crowded?
Or
Does the train be crowded?

Two quite different concepts!

Back