Claiming tax relief for medical expenses

onway

I want to claim back tax on doctor's fees, dental etc. I know I haven't done this for a number of years but I'm not sure how long. Is there a way of finding this out through the 'MyAccount' section of the website or do I need to contact Revenue to ask?

Dear Sir/Madam,
Apologies for what may seem as hijacking this thread. A question in relation to dental expenses and PAYE Taxpayer at the highest rate. My mother is getting Dental implants. I am going to pay for it on her behalf as she is a stay at home Mother caring for my incapacitated brother. Could anyone suggest a good accounting service, that could advise on how to go about claiming relief on this expense? All information available online is mind blogging, I understand that the dental implants have to be for a reason, gum disease in her case. She spoke to the admin at her orthodontist, who advised that she will get a B12 form filled out at the end of the treatment.

She has undergone some of the procedures already and has worked out a payment plan with the orthodontist. In my naivety, I had been transferring the money directly into her account, instead of using my debit card to pay the installments. it had only occurred to me this week that, this can complicate the process of claiming back the relief?

I am just wondering if anyone has any advice? Perhaps in a worse case scenario, i could claim relief on the outstanding amount of her treatment? Assuming i follow the correct procedure and pay for the procedure directly from my account?

Appreciate all opinions and feedback.

Advanced apologies if the post is in the incorrect area, or considered too technical a question. I am happy to pay for a consultation if, i could get a recommendation of a professional with relevant experience.

It sounds like you're familiar with this page:

https://www.revenue.ie/en/personal-...ons/health-and-age/health-expenses/index.aspx

See the sections on Dental Expenses and on Claiming Reliefs and Keeping Receipts. It may look complicated, but it's quite straightforward in practice. The implant treatment you are talking about is clearly covered. So all you need is receipts and Med2 forms. I wouldn't worry too much that you've already paid some money into your mother's account. Make sure you have receipts from the dentist for the total amount, whether the receipts are to you or your mother or a combination of both. Get your mother to write you a receipt for anything paid to her. Keep copies of your bank statements as evidence of any account transfers. You don't actually need any of this unless Revenue decide to check up on it, which they probably won't. File your receipts and keep them for seven years just in case. As long as you are within the letter of the law and are actually paying for the treatment you can claim tax relief. I've done similar myself in the past.

Hello .. just wondering if you are based in the Republic of Ireland as you make reference to a B12 form???

Hi, My apologies. I meant to write Med 2 form. I am based in Dublin Ireland. I am aware that there is a Med 1 and Med 2 form, that is required for the purpose of claiming back the relief.

Hello..

In that case I fully agree with dub_nerd that the process is straight forward and you shouldn’t need an accountant.

1. Get the med2
2. Record the payments made just in case Revenue look for evidence. So the bank statement.
3. Get and complete the med1 which will include details of the med 2.
4. If the expense were incurred in 2018, post off to Revenue in early 2019 as per the details on the forms.. take copies or photos of everything in case it gets lost..

Job done ( hopefully)

When I try to select the Form 12 to claim for Medical Expenses I get this reply -

We cannot process your request as you were registered for Income Tax during 2014.

Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Hello..

Don’t think you are doing anything wrong..

Do you have any rental/ self employed income??? The system is thinking you should file a form 11 rather than form 12..

If you don’t then I think I give them a call..

Thank you.
Can I also ask, if I want to claim medical expenses for 2018, should I wait and claim at the start of 2019?

Thank you.
Can I also ask, if I want to claim medical expenses for 2018, should I wait and claim at the start of 2019?

Yep. And not just then. Wait til you have your P60 as they will look for the tax paid figures.

Hello ,

I would think the best time to submit your 2018 medical details would be March 2019 onwards As odyssey said they will need to have your p60 details up on the system ( these are send on by employers in mid to late feb)

Can you claim for medical expenses incurred when on holiday - if they were not covered by your Travel Insurance?

Back