Claiming State Pension In The UK & Ireland

So what do you make of that last bullet point in the screenshot I posted?

Unfortunately it's not fully visible on my screen. But I looked at the DSP operational guidelines for the SCP and can't see where you found it!

Unfortunately it's not fully visible on my screen. But I looked at the DSP operational guidelines for the SCP and can't see where you found it!
It's on Citizensinformation.ie about pro rata pensions .
When it's talking about mixed insurance records, I'm not sure if that's talking about working in private and public sector in Ireland, or mixed as in working in two or more countries.
I guess I'll find out in 3 years time!

When it's talking about mixed insurance records, I'm not sure if that's talking about working in private and public sector in Ireland, or mixed as in working in two or more countries.
Pro Rata Pension refers to a mix of A PRSI and say B or D PRSI (which don't qualify for a State Pension).
If you have worked overseas, if might be possible to amalgamate your overseas years with your Irish A Class PRSI (under the various Bi-Lateral Social Security Agreements) to augment your total Irish Pension entitlement. You would need to contact the DSP records Office in Buncrana to find out your best option.

You have already confirmed that all of your PRSI contributions were at the Higher Rate (Class A) so don't worry about it as it doesn't apply to you!

As far as I can recall - on request Sligo sent me the application form for my UK pension, I returned it to Sligo who sent it on to the UK who then started paying my pension into the account I specified (and presumably notified me of same). This was 5 years before I was due to claim my Irish state pension - before UK changed the age rule for women.
Did you have to mail your birth/marriage certs to both or just Sligo ?

Did you have to mail your birth/marriage certs to both or just Sligo ?
It's 10 years ago but from memory whatever docs/certs I sent all went with the UK application form to Sligo. I always found them very responsive and helpful both on the phone and by mail.

Reactions: jpd
Do you have any credits on that PRSI statement. They may be very valuable to bump up you pension
Not sure if that was meant for me, or what you mean by credits. They are mainly paid contributions. There are three years when there are also credited contributions of 39, 21, and 14.

One of those might just be when the tax year changed to start in January rather than April.
Why would credited ones boost it anymore than paid contributions?

Not sure if that was meant for me, or what you mean by credits.

You do not need to contact Sligo or Newcastle. The application forms for both pensions are available online. Apply for UK one first.
I made my claim for the UK pension yesterday and it's much easier just to call the International Pension Centre rather then fill in the form. The phone application took about 10 minutes and there are far fewer questions than on the form. For example, the form wants details of all employers and addresses where you lived in the UK, while the phone application only asks for last UK address and employer. The form also asks for birth and marriage certificates. The form also has some strange questions like "Have you ever lived or worked in the United Kingdom?"

I made my claim for the UK pension yesterday and it's much easier just to call the International Pension Centre rather then fill in the form. The phone application took about 10 minutes and there are far fewer questions than on the form. For example, the form wants details of all employers and addresses where you lived in the UK, while the phone application only asks for last UK address and employer. The form also asks for birth and marriage certificates. The form also has some strange questions like "Have you ever lived or worked in the United Kingdom?"
Did you look at the form first, and then think sod this, I'll phone them?

Did you look at the form first, and then think sod this, I'll phone them?
I received an "Invitation to claim UK State Pension" letter that basically says call +44 (0) 191 2187777 to claim your pension, or alternatively you can use the form. I'd already sent my SPC1 form to Sligo and that form states that they will apply on your behalf to other countries. Anyway, I called the UK people to confirm what they expected from me, and surely you need to be in touch with them in any case to specify the bank account and frequency for your UK payments. The young lady who took the call seemed quite surprised at the idea of anyone using the form!

Did you not put your bank account details on the form you sent to Sligo?

I claimed pensions many years ago from Ireland, UK and France. I sent the form to Sligo and after that, it all went smoothly, if a bit lengthy

Did you not put your bank account details on the form you sent to Sligo?

I claimed pensions many years ago from Ireland, UK and France. I sent the form to Sligo and after that, it all went smoothly, if a bit lengthy
There's only space on the SPC1 form for one account, so I added my Irish a/c there, but I want my UK pension paid to a UK a/c.

Lisgoold those 87 credits when added to your 887 contributions could make a significant difference to the level of pension received or even upgrade you to the next bracket.
CWC 456 I suspect the reason you were asked "Have you ever lived or worked in the UK" is to check if your spouse has a pension from UK in which case you may be entitled to a portion of his pension which maybe a better (or worse) option.

I have a pension from UK while never having lived or worked there

Lisgoold those 87 credits when added to your 887 contributions could make a significant difference to the level of pension received or even upgrade you to the next bracket.
CWC 456 I suspect the reason you were asked "Have you ever lived or worked in the UK" is to check if your spouse has a pension from UK in which case you may be entitled to a portion of his pension which maybe a better (or worse) option.

I have a pension from UK while never having lived or worked there
OK I guess that makes sense

I would follow it up in writing to make sure nothing was missed.
I got my decision letter from the Newcastle pension centre today, though the letter was dated 21st November, only 4 days after I called to claim the pension on 17th November. So that was pretty quick although the weekly pension amount in the letter doesn't allow for my recent voluntary NI contributions. Hopefully the NI contributions will be credited before my pension date next February, or if not my weekly pension amount will be updated with arrears when they are credited. I'll be following up on that.
No word from the Sligo people yet.

Last edited:
Back