Claiming State Pension In The UK & Ireland

paul44

I am a year away from retiring and I have enough credits to be able to claim pensions in both countries simple question is this allowed?

The Irish gov websire is confusing and only mentions using credits from another country if your falling short of the 520 here.

I don't need to do that so can anyone confirm if this is allowable?

Thanks

Yes. Lots on here have been done so, and I plan to do it. You can apply for each separately - via International Pensions Centre in Newcastle for UK. Some people have done everything through DSP in Sligo, but as I will qualify for a full state in each, I intend to apply separately.

I've been drawing the UK and the Irish full state pensions for a few years - if you qualify for both you can get both. For the UK pension you deal with Newcastle until you apply (forecasts, voluntary contributions etc) and the application itself can either be done through Sligo or direct to the UK International Pension Centre. I went through Sligo and there was no problem at all.

I feel very fortunate to have both just because I happened to move here at the middle of my working life.

You do not need to contact Sligo or Newcastle. The application forms for both pensions are available online. Apply for UK one first.

This is the "anomaly " in the Irish system whereby someone who only enters the PRSI system (say) in their late 40's or early 50's and pays PRSI from then until retirement can currently get a full pension (under the Averages calculation). And if they worked previously in the UK for the required years they can also get a full UK pension.
This is why it is proposed to move away from the Average system and change to the Total Contribution Approach (1/40th for each year of PRSI Contribution) starting on a phased basis from 2024. A much more equitable system.

You do not need to contact Sligo or Newcastle. The application forms for both pensions are available online. Apply for UK one first.
HI - why do you say to apply for the UK state pension first? Thanks.

I've been drawing the UK and the Irish full state pensions for a few years - if you qualify for both you can get both. For the UK pension you deal with Newcastle until you apply (forecasts, voluntary contributions etc) and the application itself can either be done through Sligo or direct to the UK International Pension Centre. I went through Sligo and there was no problem at all.

I feel very fortunate to have both just because I happened to move here at the middle of my working life.
I'm very nearly 63. Still working, in UK, and already qualify for full UK state pension.

From memory, I have 887 prsi contributions. Most or all on here seem to think I would get something from that. The doubt in my mind is mainly down to this guide. As I meet all of these bullet points, until that last one.

Screenshot_20221113-121225.png
Screenshot_20221113-121225.png

If you register for myWelfare you can easily request a PRSI contribution statement.
I have the statement. Just couldn't be bothered to go and find it. :)
I was right though, it is 887.

From memory, I have 887 prsi contributions. Most or all on here seem to think I would get something from that. The doubt in my mind is mainly down to this : ............. and there follows a list of criteria but the bottom one is incomplete.

Are your 887 Irish PRSI contributions full rate? If so then you're well over the 520 threshold, so you're definitely in!

The only uncertainty is how much you'll be getting when you reach the magic age!

So 887 gives you 15 years (assuming they are A Class). At a minimum that will get you 15/40ths of a State Pension under the Total Contribution Approach. And maybe you can add to that between now and age 66.
You might get a higher figure under the Totals and Average model, but I would need to know when you first stated paying PRSI in Ireland.

So 887 gives you 15 years (assuming they are A Class). At a minimum that will get you 15/40ths of a State Pension under the Total Contribution Approach. And maybe you can add to that between now and age 66.
You might get a higher figure under the Totals and Average model, but I would need to know when you first stated paying PRSI in Ireland.
Started paying PRSI in 1990, and yes , they're all A class. Last payment was 2010. That wasn't continuous, as there was a gap of three or four years when I working out of Ireland.

So what do you make of that last bullet point in the screenshot I posted?

Reactions: jim
when you say sligo did it all what exactly did they do for the English one? just make the contact and Newcastle contact you directly?

when you say sligo did it all what exactly did they do for the English one? just make the contact and Newcastle contact you directly?
As far as I can recall - on request Sligo sent me the application form for my UK pension, I returned it to Sligo who sent it on to the UK who then started paying my pension into the account I specified (and presumably notified me of same). This was 5 years before I was due to claim my Irish state pension - before UK changed the age rule for women.

Back