Cities in Ireland:I see Sligo and Drogheda referred to as cities not provincial towns

Megan, have you proof that Sligo has "city status"? Who gave them the status? Was it just themselves?

Re: cities in ireland:i see sligo and drogheda referred to as cities not provincial t

I thought it was down to the Gateway Status given to it by the goverment in the spatial strategy ie some were cities some were towns

Ah Ha! That may the reason we're all so confused about this! Making Gateway Cities out of towns!

Megan, have you proof that Sligo has "city status"? Who gave them the status? Was it just themselves?
From www.sligcoco.ie/Publications
A series of tax incentives encouraged new developments manifested in the regeneration of Rockwood Parade, Kennedy Parade, Kempten Parade and Riverside. However, the certainty generated from the Sligo & Environs Development Plan 2004-2010, the designation of Sligo as a Gateway City together with the restoration and refurbishment of key public buildings such as City Hall, Model Arts & Niland Gallery and the Courthouse have significantly contributed to the preservation of key landmarks in a time of change.

Was just themselves - no legislation or charter.

Bit of a joke when a town of 20k people tries to call itself a city.

were they trying to take the city status off kilkenny a few yeays ago, i remember posters in shops and pubs about it.

Yeah, seems to have died down a bit now. Might be way off, but the reason I heard for the attempted demotion was that it would mean less money central government would have to allocate.

Eh what about Tallaght Village ??? Last population figure I saw was over the 100,000 mark !!!

and according to this site Clondalkin, Lucan and Blanchardstown have bigger populations than Swords or Dundalk...

for Dublin city to have the figures it has it obviously includes clondalkin, blanch and tallaght. ( is Tallaght not DN 24?) I heard one of the census guys on the radio and what he said was that Swords ( obviously not part of Dublin city) was now the 7th largest centre of population behind Drogheda and before Dundalk. He also stated that Drogheda had now passed Dundalk in population but this happened a long time ago. I have friends in Coolock who refer to 'Coolock Village'
all the time and no doubt it is classed in Coolock as such but its still D5 and therefore included in the Dublin City figures.
Don't know where Lucan is included though.

kilkenny city has only 20k people living there, i think even carlow town is bigger, so its definetly not on population figures they go by.

kilkenny city has only 20k people living there, i think even carlow town is bigger, so its definetly not on population figures they go by.

Kilkenny was granted a Royal Charter in 1609... Meaning it can call itself a city..

I always thought cities had to do with having a Cathedral?

I rhought that too - hence Armagh city. but there are also Cathedrals in Monaghan, Letterkenny, Cobh, Carlow, Cavan and Longford (among many others, of course). None of them are cities.

Back