Cities in Ireland:I see Sligo and Drogheda referred to as cities not provincial towns

O

Olly64

just wondering have some towns in ireland been given city status, i see sligo and drogheda referred to as cities, i thought these were provincial towns?

Re: cities in ireland

Where have you seen these referred to as cities? They're still towns AFAIK

AFAIK Official cities are Dublin, Cork,Limerick, Galway,Waterford and i think Kilkenny.

saw them recently called cities in newspapers, thought there were towns given city status due to the population boom.

I think the official cities were given royal charters back in the year dot. However I live in Clonmel and at a recent roadworks the council had a big sign saying "Diversion to City Centre"!!!

I think the official cities were given royal charters back in the year dot. However I live in Clonmel and at a recent roadworks the council had a big sign saying "Diversion to City Centre"!!!

Clonmel is definitely not a city! I didn't think Sligo was either but a recent thread on this site referred to it as a city?

Most of the places called "cities" in Ireland are little more than medium sized towns. Only have "city" status due to historic reasons. Consequently there are "towns" that are larger due to increased in population. Dublin is the only real city in Ireland - rest are at most large towns with strong provincial atmospheres. There are only 15 places in Ireland with populations more than 20k. Population figures betray most places - here's the top 5 from recent census.

1. Dublin - 1m
2. Cork - 190k
3. Limerick - 91k
4. Galway - 73k
5. Waterford - 49k.

Clonmel has only 17k people.

Dont let names on a map deceive you either. Many places in rural parts of Ireland appearing on maps of Ireland would not be on the map if they were in the east of the country e.g. a typical map of Ireland would usually include Tullamore (pop only 13k) & Thurles (pop only 8k), but may omit the likes of Swords (pop 34k) & Navan (pop 25k).

Most of the places called "cities" in Ireland are little more than medium sized towns. Only have "city" status due to historic reasons. Consequently there are "towns" that are larger due to increased in population. Dublin is the only real city in Ireland - rest are at most large towns with strong provincial atmospheres. There are only 15 places in Ireland with populations more than 20k. Population figures betray most places - here's the top 5 from recent census.

1. Dublin - 1m
2. Cork - 190k
3. Limerick - 91k
4. Galway - 73k
5. Waterford - 49k.

Clonmel has only 17k people.

Dont let names on a map deceive you either. Many places in rural parts of Ireland appearing on maps of Ireland would not be on the map if they were in the east of the country e.g. a typical map of Ireland would usually include Tullamore (pop only 13k) & Thurles (pop only 8k), but may omit the likes of Swords (pop 34k) & Navan (pop 25k).

Some of this is I think, debatable.

'city status due to historic reasons' what other reasons are there??
I've never heard of city status being conferred purely due to population if that is what you are saying...

'dublin is the only real city' what do you mean? If it's the population point again then see above - there are many large towns in e.g. England or Germany (200K +) that are not 'cities' but yet other much smaller urban centres are because of 'historic reasons'...

Can I ask, what as far as you know defines a city in this country?

And to be pedantic, figures above are way off as well. [broken link removed] states population of Dublin City is 506,211, Cork is 119,418, etc.

I thought that any place with a 'Borough' council was classed as a city.
Dundalk has the 8th largest population in the country
Dublin, Cork. Limerick, Galway, Waterford, Drogheda and Swords being the only centres with greater populations.
However it will always be know as 'The Town' :)

( assume Swords is just an overflow from Dublin city itself?)

Usually a city has a charter from royalty or government, depending on who was in charge when it was given city status. Thing about city status is that it is never withdrawn when the place declines in importance over the centurys. Ireland is not the only country guilty in this regard - there are insignificant places all across europe with "city" status.

My point about the map is that the typical map that primary school kids learn in school and is given to tourists is deceptive. It gives the impression that certain towns are larger than they really are - their inclusion on the map gives the impression that they are significant population centres. These maps should list all towns/cities over a certain population to give an accurate picture of where the centres of population are.

My personal opinion on international standard for town and city sizes:

Large city = 3m+
City = 500k to 3m.
Large Town = 100k to 500k.
Town = 10k to 100k.
Village = <10k

I thought that any place with a 'Borough' council was classed as a city.
Dundalk has the 8th largest population in the country
Dublin, Cork. Limerick, Galway, Waterford, Drogheda and Swords being the only centres with greater populations.
However it will always be know as 'The Town' :)

( assume Swords is just an overflow from Dublin city itself?)

Eh what about Tallaght Village ??? Last population figure I saw was over the 100,000 mark !!!

and according to this site Clondalkin, Lucan and Blanchardstown have bigger populations than Swords or Dundalk...

I don't know about Drogheda but Sligo was given "City Status" in around 2003. Not sure by whom!! There was great heralding of the event anyway and it now offically calls itself Sligo city. I suppose it just reached a certain population threshold.

I live in Sligo, and suspect that the local authorities simply use the term themselves to promote the city.

The town has its own Borough Council, separate from the County council, if that means anything.

were they trying to take the city status off kilkenny a few yeays ago, i remember posters in shops and pubs about it.

Back