Childish Neighbour

Maybe so Clubman but it might get him to utilise his driveway space a little better!
Go for it so. If erecting a wall at a cost of maybe a few grand is what it takes and influencing his behaviour on his own private property is so important to you.

This morning i had to get into my car on the passanger side and climb over to the drivers seat because I couldn't open the drivers door.

Why don't you park the other way round i.e. with the drivers door on the other side?

Original post(er) said:
i have to reverse my car into my driveway to get in or out.......
and others responded with:
Would it help if you reversed into your drive so that your passenger side is alongside your neighbour's passenger side?
If you can't fit your car in without stepping on to his property reverse in.
Why don't you park the other way round i.e. with the drivers door on the other side?

the last thing I want to do is open my door and damage his car because he parks too close.

Surely he could argue that you are parked too close to his car? You are both obviously parking as close to the boundary as possible.

As already suggested, either park on the other side of you driveway or reverse in & see what you can do to get to the bottom of what happened a few months ago, his nose is out of joint about something and as you could be living next door to him for years, try to sort it sooner rather than later.

Perhaps he got annoyed as you were parking close to the boundary first?
If, by him parking at the edge of his boundary without crossing into your drive, means that you cannot open your door then it would suggest that you are also parking at the boundary. You need to park on your drive in a way that ensures your door can be opened without crossing onto his drive. That way he cannot block you without crossing onto your driveway.

It seems he is doing what you had been doing all along in order to prove a point.

For the last few months my next door neighbour has insisted on parking his car so close to my car that I can't get into it at all.....i have to reverse my car into my driveway to get in or out

Just curious, does reversing the car in enable you to get in & out comfortably? If so, why not continue doing that? I always reverse in, find it much safer for driving out again.

Furthermore, although not necessarily relevant to the OP, reversing out on to a main road is illegal anyway.

I now I may be missing something here (as I often do) but why can't OP just park on the road across her own driveway in the short term and then build a Berlin wall?

Perhaps he got annoyed as you were parking close to the boundary first?
If, by him parking at the edge of his boundary without crossing into your drive, means that you cannot open your door then it would suggest that you are also parking at the boundary. You need to park on your drive in a way that ensures your door can be opened without crossing onto his drive. That way he cannot block you without crossing onto your driveway.

It seems he is doing what you had been doing all along in order to prove a point.

I'd second this. Seems to be a likely explanation for the unexpected 'cooling off' also.

Talking saves an awful lot of unnecessary strife.

Hilarious thread.

Can't believe it got to Page 2 before someone suggested that building a wall would reduce the space available while not solving the problem (well done Clubman).

It's obvious both parkers are doing exactly the same thing. The OP is annoyed because he gets home first and parks as close to the boundary as possible, when all he has to do is move over a couple of feet.

Perhaps the neighbour noticed that the OP, by parking where he does, has to "trespass" to get out of his car and decided to make life a little more difficult.

Petty, but entirely avoidable for both parties. Building a wall? Everyone loses by having less space.

Hilarious thread.

Can't believe it got to Page 2 before someone suggested that building a wall would reduce the space available while not solving the problem (well done Clubman).

check out post #12 (on page 1).

practice ur golf swings for a couple of days were u normally park ur car on ur property. c if he keeps parking so close

practice ur golf swings for a couple of days were u normally park ur car on ur property. c if he keeps parking so close
Hmmm.....

This doesn't look like a smart comment to me. Simply a reasonable request if he would prefer people not to impinge on his private property. I said practically the same thing to a neighbour of mine the other day when he insisted on practicing his golf swing on our lawn rather than his own (open plan frontage) and was making a mess of the grass. He complied with my polite request. It would seem more petty if I ran off moaning to the (live in) landlord householder about this rather than just speaking to the tenant neighbour.

Hi Liffey,
Is it possible that you were consistently parking in a manner that suited yourself and your passenger, weren't too concerned that you were on or too close to his side of the boundry and were unaware and unconcerned that it was ****ing him off? maybe he came home late at night after a work shift tired and emotional and one time too many your car was there and he flipped? decided to take revenge by parking nearly on top of you rather than on his grass as he may have had to previously? sometime we only see what slights we assume have been done to us rather than by us. The high ground would be to park as far away from the boundry, begin nodding 'hello' again and thus get over the nightmare scenario that a bad relationship with a neighbour can become.
M

Back