Childish Neighbour

liffey

For the last few months my next door neighbour has insisted on parking his car so close to my car that I can't get into it at all.....i have to reverse my car into my driveway to get in or out.......his driveway his huge so i've no idea why he insists on parking so close to my car.....the last thing I want to do is open my car door and scratch his.......the other day when I was out he asked a visitor to my house if they minded not standing in his driveway.......That for me was the last straw...... The neighbour doesnt seem to be very approachable.......works odd hours too so kinda hard to say something to him.......I'm so tempted to build a wall between the two driveways but i dont really want to do that......anyone any suggestions.......

Hi
Why don't you go and simply talk to him?
He may well just not be aware that you are annoyed at this, some people are just not good at perceiving the impact of their behaviour on others.
There is no point in allowing this to escalate in your head, when it could be dealt with very simply by either trying to talk to him (you never know, he might just be shy, not unapproachable!), or even just dropping him a polite letter.
Better than building a wall, cheaper too!
Also it's better to stay on friendly terms with neighbours if possible (especially if you share a driveway...)
Nicola

He is parking on his property but in doing so it means I can't get into my car......I'm tempted to talk to him but he doesn't appear to be approachable......the fact that he made a smart comment to a visitor to my home rather then me is just leaving me puzzled -why he didn't mention it to me instead......

He is parking on his property
That's enough for me. He's doing nothing wrong in my opinion.
the fact that he made a smart comment to a visitor to my home rather then me is just leaving me puzzled
This doesn't look like a smart comment to me. Simply a reasonable request if he would prefer people not to impinge on his private property. I said practically the same thing to a neighbour of mine the other day when he insisted on practicing his golf swing on our lawn rather than his own (open plan frontage) and was making a mess of the grass. He complied with my polite request. It would seem more petty if I ran off moaning to the (live in) landlord householder about this rather than just speaking to the tenant neighbour.
the other day when I was out he asked a visitor to my house if they minded not standing in his driveway.

All you need to do is ask him would he mind parking a little further over.
He is entitled to ask someone to not stand in his driveway.
Surely it makes more sense to address it directly, and politely, with him?
Nicola

Is he parking on his own property? If so I can't see what the problem is.
club man are you human???? any replies you make wouldnt suggest you are NOT!!
if you were in the situation would like you hassel everytime you get in and out of your car?

and for the neighbour to be complaining about somebody standing in his drive maybe he should move to the countryside ?

Building a wall would prob be best option as then there could be no probs, shared drives and open front gardens never really work imo.

Perhaps the OP should actually talk to his nieghbour, before going to the trouble of building a wall??
It cannot possibly be that difficult to actually speak to a neighbour, unless there is something seriously wrong (ie psychopathic neighbour or the like).
I understand your reluctance to speak to your neighbour if you feel intimidated, Liffey, but you just need to grasp the bull by the horns, and do it.He probably will not try to gore you!
Building a wall because you are unable to discuss a reasonable issue with another adult seems a tad extreme.
Nicola

club man are you human???? any replies you make wouldnt suggest you are NOT!!
if you were in the situation would like you hassel everytime you get in and out of your car?

and for the neighbour to be complaining about somebody standing in his drive maybe he should move to the countryside ?
Why don't you post rants in Letting Off Steam when you are able to? That's the appropriate place for them. Oh - and read the posting guidelines where you will see that personalised attacks are not acceptable around here. :rolleyes:

Maybe if the OP could explain, in detail, the driveway arrangement which seems to entail the OP being inconvenienced, even though the neighbour is on their own property?

But would the wall need to be fully on the OP's side if done without approval of neighbour? And if so would this leave sufficient room to park?

The guy is parking on his own private property and asked somebody not to stand around on his own private property. I can't see how anybody could reasonably conclude that he is out of order here.

I just think he is being unreasonable - the last thing I want to do is open my door and damage his car because he parks too close. This morning i had to get into my car on the passanger side and climb over to the drivers seat because I couldn't open the drivers door. I would love to say something to him but as I mentioned he works odd hours so I wouldn't know when it would be best to approach him (Last thing I want to do is knock in to find he's been asleep and I've woken him up!!)
Maybe a note in the door asking him to move over a little so i dont damage his car mind do the trick. Worth a try I suppose?!?

Maybe a note in the door asking him to move over a little so i dont damage his car mind do the trick. Worth a try I suppose?!?
If you do that then I would not be surprised if we had a new thread tomorrow entitled "childish neighbour putting notes through my letterbox rather than just talking to me".

Building a wall would prob be best option as then there could be no probs, shared drives and open front gardens never really work imo.

Would tend to agree with this - it can be amazing how territorial people get where there is shared space.

The comment 'please don't stand on my driveway' to the OP's visitor is a worrying sign and suggests that should the parking issue be raised, the response could well be 'it's my side of the drive, I'll do what I like' - which, unfortunately is in his wont.

Even so, before wall-building is planned, it would be reasonable and appropriate to approach the neighbour and have a discussion like this... the OP could be surprised and find that there is some other explanation for the behaviour that was never envisaged.

On the point of the wall - the OP should make sure that its not in the deeds of the house that wall building to the front is prevented.

If there is nothing for it other than a wall, a low-height boundary could do the trick (and create a trip hazard for the postman) without detracting too much from the appearance of the drives. The OP should suggest to the neighbour that the cost is shared seeing since it will be owned by each on both sides and the neighbour will probably want to have an input into its design.

The comment 'please don't stand on my driveway' to the OP's visitor is a worrying sign and suggests that should the parking issue be raised, the response could well be 'it's my side of the drive, I'll do what I like' - which, unfortunately is in his wont.
Not to mention his right!
Even so, before wall-building is planned, it would be reasonable and appropriate to approach the neighbour and have a discussion like this... the OP could be surprised and find that there is some other explanation for the behaviour that was never envisaged.
A discussion yes. Note passing - probably not. That sort of behaviour always reminds me of Rumpole and the Married Lady in which the husband and wife in a divorce case communicated only by written notes, a communication mechanism undermined and exploited by their only child for his own gain.

While the person in question is within his legal rights to park on his property, the manner in which he is doing so is inconsiderate towards his neighbour - the OP needs to talk to him asking him politely if he could leave more room when parking his car. If the neighbour in question doesn't respond there isn't much the OP can do except build a wall on his side of the drive.

The guy is parking on his own private property and asked somebody not to stand around on his own private property. I can't see how anybody could reasonably conclude that he is out of order here.

ClubMan is right, however you might politely approach your neighbor and ask that they give you a little more space as you are afraid you may inadvertently scratch his car. He may oblige

Back