Child Maintenance for my partners child.

mayoport - 65 euro is really not ideal for a teenager but you stated he has four other kids, too which means he spends 325 Euro a week on kids maintenance (all kids should get equal amounts).
how much money is he on? if he has a great job, anything above 100k then fair enough but if he is on the average salary (couldn't tell you what's average these days) - 325 Euro a week (1300/1625 a month) is a lot and I can't see how he can increase it. Plus, technically you're required to match this which would leave your daughter with 130 Euro a week (18 a day) :(

Hi, Mayoport!

I dont know if you will get anymore maintenence from him considering he has 4 other children that have to be looked after too, maybe you might be able to get him to go halves on school expenses that occur during the year, was it not stated in court at the time that he would have to pay towards school expenses? If not why dont you look for this to be included instead of looking for an increase in maintenence?

OP, 300 is very little compared to what some fathers pay, I know the situation as I am in it too, my partner has access to his son every second weekend he pays 100 per week (court order based on his wages of €500 per week 2 years ago) he also pays half of back to school expenses, luckily his wages has increased slightly since then and we have one other child and another on the way so we can cope paying that amount each week and dont see any point in going through the agro of going back to court etc etc.
I think you should leave well enough alone, If you think ye are paying too much in maintenance then dont go overboard spending money on clothes or what ever else you do when ye have him/her, now dont get me wrong i'm not saying dont spend any money on the child. What ever the ex spends the maintenance on is her business as long as ye have proof your partner is paying maintenance. If you go to court your partner will no doubt end up paying more.

' Plus, technically you're required to match this which would leave your daughter with 130 Euro a week (18 a day) :( '

Alaskaonline

good point that is true not many seem to see it like that though.

technically you're required to match this which would leave your daughter with 130 Euro a week (18 a day) :(

...plus don't forget the monthly €150 child benefit paid to the mother which often doesn't get mentioned, bringing that up to €165 a week.

forgive me derek for getting it wrong and not looking at the original date! still hopefully mayoport has benefited from some advice

There is an excellent website www.solo.ie which sets out all legal and other information. There is a spreadsheet you can download that captures all the associated costs with raising a child. Intention is that child benefit is deducted from this and the remaining amount should be split between the two parents.

For the record my husband pays 105 a week towards the upkeep of his 10 year old daughter. An original amount was agreed with the mother, not court ordered. We have tended to increase it annually by 5 or 10 a week.

Your advice here is to use a child maintenance service that suits budget and need and your advice on this thread http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=144555 is also There are many property dealing services which provides you with all types of property of your need and budget.

Do you have any advice other than that? IMO these posts are not particularly helpful....

I have 2 teenagers who spend 12 days a month with my ex their dad.
He pays €400 a month to me and half back to school expenses.

I find it hard even with the CB added in. He can afford to go out for meals and 3-4 foreign holidays a year.

I feel that €400 a month for the 2 is not enough, am I being unreasonable?

Child Maintenacne

Apologies if I am somewhat changing the direction of the postings but I need advice/help. I am an Irish citizen currently living in Ireland. My ex wife is a US citizen and lives in the US with our son. I returned to Ireland a few years ago simply because I had no choice. I have never been issued with a court order for child maintenance but I now pay €125 per week voluntarily. My take home pay is €650. Out of that comes the aforementioned child maintenance, bank loans, utilities, car repayment etc. Last year I got divorced. As I could not afford to travel to the US to contest the divorce it was uncontested. I received documentation from the US courts outlining that I had to pay €150 per week and €40 per week in arrears of child maintenance, but I was never in arrears and I was never issued with any court order outlining what I had to pay and stating that it was obvious that I had never paid child maintenance which is a lie. In the divorce issue I was never asked to provide information that I had/hadn't paid child maintenance. I recently received documentation that the state in which she lives have through the Hague convention and Irish courts come looking for over €36000 in owed child maintenance. Despite Irish court orders I haven't seen my son in 4 years nor have I been allowed to talk to him on the phone. I cannot afford €190 pw on my earnings, I cannot afford to hire a solicitor so has anyone got any ideas??? Or are people of the opinion that I am a miserable so and so???

I have 2 teenagers who spend 12 days a month with my ex their dad.
He pays €400 a month to me and half back to school expenses.

I find it hard even with the CB added in. He can afford to go out for meals and 3-4 foreign holidays a year.

I feel that €400 a month for the 2 is not enough, am I being unreasonable?

He's actually paying the money for the children not as a payment to you. What he chooses to do with his own money is surely his own concern.

Is the €400 set down as part of a court approved separation agreement?

I would have thought seeing as you have the kids for 60% of the month that the €400 is appropriate. That's nearly €700 on a pro-rata basis.

Are you working?

300 euro a month seems fair. I think you might only get a reduction if you are unemployed. It does not really matter what the mother spends the money on -as in the whole scheme of things it is all going towards the running costs of providing for a family - esb,gas,tv licence,rent, food etc. The mother's income and the extra money for the child total up and the mother then divies out what will be paid each week / month from the total monies coming into the household. If the mother had to take the child to see the dentist and get a filling, no eyelids would be batted, if the said the money was coming out of her own income.

If the father feels that he can no longer afford the upkeep of the payments, then the father should sit with the mother and explain the situation and see what she comes back with.

If she declines and he wants to pursue futher then he would need to take it up with the courts. I have in a lot of cases where the mother gets awarded between 50 - 80 euro a week to support a child.

It is great that the father supports the child and that you are both giving the child a great environment to grow up in.

Apologies if I am somewhat changing the direction of the postings but I need advice/help. I am an Irish citizen currently living in Ireland. My ex wife is a US citizen and lives in the US with our son. I returned to Ireland a few years ago simply because I had no choice. I have never been issued with a court order for child maintenance but I now pay €125 per week voluntarily. My take home pay is €650. Out of that comes the aforementioned child maintenance, bank loans, utilities, car repayment etc. Last year I got divorced. As I could not afford to travel to the US to contest the divorce it was uncontested. I received documentation from the US courts outlining that I had to pay €150 per week and €40 per week in arrears of child maintenance, but I was never in arrears and I was never issued with any court order outlining what I had to pay and stating that it was obvious that I had never paid child maintenance which is a lie. In the divorce issue I was never asked to provide information that I had/hadn't paid child maintenance. I recently received documentation that the state in which she lives have through the Hague convention and Irish courts come looking for over €36000 in owed child maintenance. Despite Irish court orders I haven't seen my son in 4 years nor have I been allowed to talk to him on the phone. I cannot afford €190 pw on my earnings, I cannot afford to hire a solicitor so has anyone got any ideas??? Or are people of the opinion that I am a miserable so and so???

You will need to gather all your documentation together regarding the maintenance you have paid....bank statements...money transfers..etc. That is the only proof you have that you have paid maintenance for your son. There must have been a court order for maintenance issued at some stage if you are being pursued for it now. Write to the court in the US and put your case forward. If you have proof you have paid the maintenance they will have to accept it. It is only lately that the Irish courts are recognising court orders made in other countries regarding maintenance.....but they are doing so now. I have a friend in OZ who had a maintenance order issued by the Australian courts 15 years ago. Her partner came back to Ireland and never paid the maintenance. In the last 12 months through new laws she has pursued and received all the maintenance owed. It was a huge amount.

Back