Cherbury Park, Lucan

Bookworm

First posting and am looking for advice. Has anyone heard of Cherbury Park in Lucan? My sister's talking about buying a house there and I was wondering what it's like.

It's in St Marys Parish, so good for schools. About 5 minutes stroll from all the amenities of the village. I walk past the entrance of the estate often and it looks ok to me. Personally I feel it's too close to the N4 and the noise would drive me batty.

We were looking to buy there as our daughter has lived there for the past 8 years. It's fine and last year it was the only estate in Lucan (the village side of the motorway) that had prices well below anywhere else in the area. Unfortunately, we were not ready to sell , so missed out. My daughter and her family are happy there.

For all the talk of prices stalling in Lucan....my brother bought a house in Cherbury about 20 months ago for 290,000, an identical house on the same road went sale agreed this week for 420,000. I know many other areas have experienced similar rises but that seems like a hell of a rise for Lucan???

As someone trying to sell in Lucan at the moment, I can honesty say (unfortunately) that prices have dropped on average €15K to €20K (and thats for one of the cheaper houses)

Cherbury Park seems quite nice, nearer to the village, v. boxy layout, but I would have thought given the current scenario that there is a lot better value to be had in the area at the moment for €420K - (possibly get a much bigger 4 bed in one of the newer v. nice Estates)

Lucan seems to be a good place to buy at the moment, as everybody else seems to want out.

I spoke to an Estate Agent (today) about the current situation (too many properties and not enough buyers) and his view would be that prices are "correcting themselves" (in other words, dropping) in Lucan as they have been overpriced coming up to the first quarter of 2006. Perhaps this has not yet hit Cherbury Park?

As someone trying to sell in Lucan at the moment, I can honesty say (unfortunately) that prices have dropped on average €15K to €20K (and thats for one of the cheaper houses)

Cherbury Park seems quite nice, nearer to the village, v. small, but I would have thought given the current scenario that there is a lot better value to be had in the area at the moment for €420K.

Lucan seems to be a good place to buy at the moment, as everybody else seems to want out.

Hi MandaC, I hope things pick up and you get a decent price for your house.

I think the mistake many buyers have made in Lucan in the last few years has been to go for better houses in 'new' Lucan areas, rather than trying to buy in 'old' Lucan - there really is a world of difference between the two. Cherbury would be one of the cheapest options in old Lucan, the houses aren't great but it's a quiet area, close to the village, in St Mary's Parish (ie access to the better schools), and the 'right' side of the motorway. I've heard several tales of misery from people trying to sell in the newer parts recently, they just can't get close to their asking prices.

Good luck to you.

Hope it's okay to revive an old thread but seeing as I'm asking about Cherbury Park I thought I'd avoid starting a new one.

I have an Aunt who's looking to buy a house (something like a 3 bed semi) in Lucan, she'll be teaching in a local school. She's desperate to avoid buying in 'new' Lucan (has been warned off by countless people already living in some of the new estates) but despite the slowing of prices still finds 'old' Lucan expensive. One of the more affordable estates, based on advice from Estate Agents, is Cherbury Park. She likes its location, it seems to be quiet and well maintained and although the houses seem a bit flimsy she is interested in buying there. She has been told two houses will be on the market there soon for between E380,000 and E410,000. Has anyone out there recent experience of Cherbury? Any problems? Are the houses okay? Any advice welcome. Thanks.

Check out Hillcrest in Lucan. It's old Lucan and although it's on the 'wrong' side of the dual carriageway still only 10 min walk from the village. Solid houses and still good value to be had.
Also, the Newcastle road / N4 junction is being upgraded to a graded junction in the near future i.e. no traffic lights

My sister did buy in Cherbury at the end. Not the most glamorous of houses, but a really quiet area and well maintained.

Almost all the houses are owner occupied and people who live there seem to be really nice. Talking to the neighbours, there seems to be none of the anti-social problems that are happening in some of the other newer estates.

It's also very handy for buses, a quick walk to shops etc and the right catchment area for schools.

In fact we've been so impressed that we're thinking of moving now to "old" Lucan too.

The biggest reason we would move is to have a more "settled" area - the majority of the houses near us are rented out, so one day your neighbours are lovely and 6 months later, you've a noisy or messy group. In the most extreme circumstance, there were tennants nearby who just threw their rubbish into the back because there was an argument with the landlord about who shoud be paying for the bintags - it was disgusting, their poor neighbours had to put up with an awful smell and obviously it was going to attract vermin.
Besides that, there are cars parked everywhere and anywhere as most driveways only take 1 car and with houses rented out, you might have 4 cars per house!
On the more anti-social element, it's probably just as you describe, cars, graffiti, occasional break-ins, but it's the fact that very few people have an interest in the area as it's ony a stop-gap for them. We are lucky that our immediate neighbours on both sides are there a few years, so we know them, but it is unsettling.

My sister on the other hand seems to be really happy in Cherbury, it's very settled, there's a residents association, who plant shrubs and lobby for the area to be looked after. One of her neighbours are newer to the area like her and the others are there years, but it's steady, kids can go out without being mowed down - there's a nice green nearby etc.
There's no doubt, the newer estates are nicer, ensuite, downstairs loo, better landscaping etc but we wanted to have a long-term home and we've just never felt happy about staying where we are.

As someone who has moved out of "new" Lucan recently, I have to say I echo the above sentiments. I do agree Lucan in general seems to have been hit with a recent wave of graffitti over the Christmas. I noticed in my old Estate when I went back to collect my post and could not believe the state of the place. All along the road beside Larkfield, etc, is absolutely ruined.

My own estate in particular seemed to have deteriorated rapidly over a very short time of about a year and the Auctioneer as much as told me so when I was selling. I am so glad to have left it. It was a lovely house, about 1,100 sq ft and had all the mod cons, ensuite etc, so I understand Tarquin where you are coming from, as I have a friend living in Hillcrest who is trying to renovate his awkward shaped house. The main problem I had when trying to leave Lucan was to decide where to go.

I am back living with Mammy!! since before Xmas as new house won t be ready till March or April, but I have to say I dont miss the old estate one bit!

MandaC
May I ask what area/town did you decide to move to, I'm just taking a look at what the alternatives are.

Thanks

Tarquin--> did u check the Newsletter? Most of the resident associations have notices in that every week. Pretty sure Hillcrest had an association at some stage although maybe not anymore.

I should have been clearer, tarquin.
In Cherbury, it is the residents themselves who do planting etc - just it's co-ordinated by the residents association. My sister got a note through her door saying the residents association had bought plants and were asking the residents to come and help on a particular Saturday to plant them in the communal areas improve the look of the place. She went along and said it was great for meeting people.

Definitely check the newsletter re Hillcrest having one, I'd be amazed if they didn't.

Tarquin, the Newletter doesn't come through your door, it's one you buy - think it's 50c. It comes out every saturday and is a small publication, maybe 8 A4 pages folded, and has communtity news.
You'd get it in centra in the Village, at the Newsagent at Tesco/Superquinn etc, but not generally over in "newer" Lucan, think it's 50c or therabouts.
Great for finding out about what groups there are in the area etc

Back