Cherbury Park, Lucan

As another seller in Lucan I can confirm that prices are coming down in the area. I am selling a house in Hermitage, just behind the foxhunter and one of the most established estates in the area. I have to say though, having lived there for several years it really is a lovely area, not many renters and quite safe for kids to play on the large green.
I have friends in "new Lucan" who are all selling up at the moment for reasons previously mentioned, renters, grafitti and undesireables!.

Anyway, house in hermitage has been on the market since October and got our first offer today! and believe me it is nowhere near the asking price! This would lead me to believe there is value to be had there over the next couple of months.

i think this is to do with the Aprtment being build around Liffey Park, and Hermitage area....the amount of Apt. around is unbelievable..

Majority of these are rented accomodation so a lesser sense of own community and no one really cares about the area..

can't imagine once St.Edmunds has been completed...the whole St. Mary's gonna be the next Collinstown...

Also bear in mind Adamstown and the number of new units coming on release there too.

I know someone who had an awful job trying to sell in Hermitage and they had an awful lot of rental properties on their road that were in a poor condition that was putting people off.

I did not eventually stay in Lucan, (would have liked to stay in one of the older estates) the areas I looked at included Clondalkin Village(I am originally from Clondalkin) but all of the areas I would like to move to in Clondalkin were outside my budget, Rathcoole, Celbridge, Kilcock, Maynooth, Straffan and finally Kill. I narrowed it down to Maynooth and Kill. I chose Kill in the end because taking all things into account, proximity to work,( I will be turning off at the Kingswood Interchange for Grange Castle) size of village, price of house, etc., it suited me. There is not much in Kill, but it has exactly what I want - a shop, a pub, a chipper, a nice village atmosphere. Everything else is within a short driving distance so will see how it goes. There are probably more people in my old Estate in Lucan than in the whole of Kill and that suits me fine.

My sister was looking at the same time as me (she moved from Clondalkin) and she settled on Celbridge. Her house is lovely (Oldtown Mill) she only moved in yesterday. For me, the area in general was very like Lucan (lots of new developments on all sides), so thats why I decided on something smaller this time. Having said that, she got a lovely house (about 1,300 sq ft) in a lovely cul-de sac and there seems to be a fair bit in Celbridge for the little one starting school next year. Enrolled in the school within walking distance. So in all its different strokes for different folks.

Tarquin, I note you said you were interested in Maynooth. If its of any interest to you, I got a text this afternoon from Coonan Auctioneers about a new development of 3 bed mid terrace and end terrace properties from €380K. Dont know anything at all about the development as I did not look into it.

Best of luck for anyone deciding to move. In defence of Lucan, I never had one problem with anti social behaviour, was never broken into, etc in all of the six years that I spent there. In my estate, it was more the lack of community spirit and dont care attitude of the renters.

theres a lot of good area in and around lucan, think twice about Foxdene or Foxborough, and also Liffey Park, the rest of the area are very safe as far as i know..
the price says it all...theres no catch on the price which reflects the area a lot

I lived in Liffey Valley Park and as I said above it was very very safe. So, no problems from that side. Also, from what I have seen "all" of the newer estates and even some of the older ones have the same problems with the renters, etc. Thats probably why there is not much of a trade up market in the area. Also, a lot of the younger families that moved in with kids would now be teenagers with no where to go only sit on street corners, so thats probably why the graffitti problem is growing, etc.

Having said that, when you talk to people from any area, they are all complaining about the same things "the area is not what it used to be....", so its probably the same everywhere. From my prespective anyway, you will know yourself when its time to move, its just not a great time in the market, so consider your options.

A fellow poster very kindly let me know about a house for sale in Cherbury Park which I've just told my Aunt about (mentioned earlier she was interested in buying there).

What she's amazed about is the price, £370,000 - the house seems to be in good condition (judging by the photos on the website) and is on the more expensive road in the estate (ie not the back road which is nearer the motorway).

She said that a house further up the same road went for about E410,000 a couple of months ago. Identical house, similar decor, same garden, etc. A drop of E40,000 in a couple of months? Gobsmacked.

A fellow poster very kindly let me know about a house for sale in Cherbury Park which I've just told my Aunt about (mentioned earlier she was interested in buying there).

What she's amazed about is the price, £370,000 - the house seems to be in good condition (judging by the photos on the website) and is on the more expensive road in the estate (ie not the back road which is nearer the motorway).

She said that a house further up the same road went for about E410,000 a couple of months ago. Identical house, similar decor, same garden, etc. A drop of E40,000 in a couple of months? Gobsmacked.

Maybe it's the 410 price you should have been gobsmacked by.

Maybe it's the 410 price you should have been gobsmacked by.

Well, I'm someone who's gobsmacked by any house going for over E250,000, for that kind of money I still think you should be getting 100 acres, stables and a butler :)

But bearing in mind the average prices at the time and the fact that this estate is in old Lucan, that it's quiet and leafy and pleasant (had a look recently), and is in St Mary's Parish (ie you get your kids in to the better old schools), then E410,000 seemed decent enough value to me.

Curiously, the same estate agents selling the above mentioned house have another Lucan one up for sale - a former council house in the village, doesn't look particularly special......E485,000! I know, it's easy to ask.

Hi all,

I have lived in the "new" part of Lucan for nearly 10 years now. The estate is 13 yrs old. I've never had any problems and although my children don't go to a school in Lucan Village, they are still being extremely well educated at an Educate Together school in Bewley. Please don't tar us all with the one brush. Anti-social behavior happens in every estate and in every walk of life.Both myself and my partner work and we bring our children up accordingly. What I absolutely hate about Lucan is the SNOBBERY that is develping over "which side of the bridge" you live on. When I moved to Lucan, none of this snobbery was around. I would say that this developing attitude is just as bad as any developing anti-social behaviour.

Hi all,
What I absolutely hate about Lucan is the SNOBBERY that is develping over "which side of the bridge" you live on.

here here, i moved out to "new" lucan too a few years ago and was surprised by this attitude. every thread on lucan now has at least one person saying "St Mary's Parish (ie you get your kids in to the better old schools)"

What I absolutely hate about Lucan is the SNOBBERY that is develping over "which side of the bridge" you live on. When I moved to Lucan, none of this snobbery was around.

May be the bridge was not yet built when you moved there ..;)

every thread on lucan now has at least one person saying "St Mary's Parish (ie you get your kids in to the better old schools)"

But the fact is that most parents want to get their kids in to the old schools in Lucan and to do that you have to live in St Mary's Parish (unless you're particularly friendly with a local TD). It's not a judgement, it's a fact. That's one of the reasons why houses in the Parish are dearer than those that are not, and it's why St Mary's Parish is always mentioned by the EA because it's a selling point.

I have been reading this thread with interest over the last few weeks and want to add my tuppeance worth. I am in Lucan over 10 years and have trade up in that time. Both houses have been in the "new lucan" . I can agree with capricorn up to recently I hadn't ever come across thethe deabte on new v old lucan. Myseld and dad2kids are from the country and have no realtions in Dublin, but we have made good friends in lucan and can't imagine living anywhere else. The sports clubs and ameinties are good yes the traffice can be crap so I still get from lucan to Merrion square is less than an hour most days. Final point is to Bushfire, even though I live in new lucan, I fall under the parish of St Marys. Having looked at this school and Lucan Educate Together (LETS) in Bewley I choose LETS and couldn't be more happy with the school so not all parents Want to send their kids to school in old lucan.!

Some of the new Estates in Lucan fall under the Lucan South Parish, which is actually in Balgaddy, so I know some of my old neighbours did have an issue with sending children to school in that area.

So maybe thats where the St. Mary's parish issue arises.

I don't think a lot of people necessarily want their children to schools in Old Lucan, but they do want them to have the choice to go to schools in St Mary's parish, e.g. my son is going to the Gaelscoil, which is in the same side as the newer houses, but is in St Mary's parish. We were lucky to get him in as we had his name down for years, but a lot of our neighbours hadn't that choice.

There's maybe 2 schools in Lucan South versus a range of schools (on both sides of Lucan) in St Mary's - as far as I know, both the Educate Togther schools and both the Gaelscoils are on the side with newer houses, but fall under St Mary's.

That is why St Mary's parish is important for me and that combined with the walking distance to the village and the settled communities means the older areas has more appeal for me.

Neither Educate Together schools nor Gaelscoils work on a parish basis - that is just for Catholic Parish national schools.

The enrollment policy for Educate Together and Gaelscoils is largely on a first come first served basis (with the usual preferential treatment for potential pupils with sisters / brothers already in the school).

The local Parish National school is obliged to take all children that want to attend from the local parish and can take any others intersted from outside if they have the capacity.

What parish the ET and Gaelscoil are in makes no difference for people wanting to send their children there.

I know for a fact that the enrolement policies for the Gaelscoileanna most certainly do take parish into account. They both have a catholic ethos and being in the "right" parish is taken into account. As I said my son is going there. Obviously if there's spaces, they'll take children from other parishes and if you've a sibling in the school etc, you'll get in regardless of parish, but for an eldest child (as my son is), they do take parish as one of the factors.
[broken link removed] - 5th paragraph of Why Esker Riada?
http://homepage.eircom.net/~gaelscoilnp/

I am however quite prepared to be corrected on the Educate Together schools as I thought they used the geographic borders of the parishes, but I wouldn't know for definite.

Hi all, If you're talking about the Parish Newletter, we do get it in the wilds of "New Lucan" - they probably it dispatch by Western Union Riders. Although how they get those horses over that whole quarter of a kilometer bridge I'll never know!!!

Hi all, If you're talking about the Parish Newletter, we do get it in the wilds of "New Lucan" - they probably it dispatch by Western Union Riders. Although how they get those horses over that whole quarter of a kilometer bridge I'll never know!!!

The Educate Together schools, work on a first come first serve basis and do not operate a sibling policy. When my eldest started school my youngest was 8 wks old and I had to enrole her then for 2008. A lot of parents make the mistake of assuming that siblings will automatically get a place but this is not always the case.

Back