Cheapest Electricity Supplier

I've just ran their figures (rural day/night) against my annual consumption and unit rates and, much to my surprise, my current Energia deal is 19% cheaper. o_O (And that excludes the €50 discount that I got for staying with Energia).

So caveat emptor!
That's interesting. I had a look at their published rates and they don't seem to be really any cheaper than anybody else.

Yeah - they don't seem cheap to me and - like others - still come nowhere near the Flogas "community" fixed electricity tariff.

Prepay Power might suit some but from my experience are very, very expensive. So thus new offering I won't be going near.

Yeah - they don't seem cheap to me and - like others - still come nowhere near the Flogas "community" fixed electricity tariff.
Unfortunately that Flogas offer is gone again. I rang Flogas and they said it was for DCC employees only and should not have been available to the ordinary Joe Soap but to use the Customer Servives own words was " leaked on the internet , but try the link again in a few days." Seems bizarre.

Unfortunately that Flogas offer is gone again. I rang Flogas and they said it was for DCC employees only and should not have been available to the ordinary Joe Soap but to use the Customer Servives own words was " leaked on the internet , but try the link again in a few days." Seems bizarre.
It's like Flogas's "Big Ed Loves Mona" moment...

I understand Bord Gais are offering big discounts on gas to retain customers (40%) but much smaller on electricity (5-10%) - dual fuel only. Something to bear in mind if considering switching if you use both gas and electricity.
I was surprised to find I used 2.5 times as many gas units as electricity.

I understand Bord Gais are offering big discounts on gas to retain customers (40%) but much smaller on electricity (5-10%) - dual fuel only. Something to bear in mind if considering switching if you use both gas and electricity.
I was surprised to find I used 2.5 times as many gas units as electricity.
I just renewed with Bord Gais.
44% gas discount and 12% electricity discount (8c/unit; 42c/unit).
Live in an E rated home so gas bill can be expensive in winter so happy with this discount.

Live in an E rated home so gas bill can be expensive in winter so happy with this discount.
You might get better value by taking electricity and gas from separate providers. Ignore the percentage discounts as they're with reference to the provider's standard rates, which are different everywhere, so useless for comparisons. You need to compare the unit rates and standing charges (either excluding or editing l excluding VAT) for an apples to apples comparison.

You might get better value by taking electricity and gas from separate providers. Ignore the percentage discounts as they're with reference to the provider's standard rates, which are different everywhere, so useless for comparisons. You need to compare the unit rates and standing charges (either excluding or editing l excluding VAT) for an apples to apples comparison.

If you do decide to take Clubman's advice you have a 14 day cooling off period. The Minister has yet again hinted at reductions in energy charges.

Wholesale electricity prices have collapsed this year and retail prices have barely budged.

I wouldn’t lock into a contract at the moment as big declines in retail offers are inevitable in the next month or two unless wholesale prices jump.

It's a 50 euro break fee so not the end of the world
I was lucky enough to sign up for the Flogas "community" one year fixed electricity rate (nightsaver) during one of its sporadic appearances (thanks again @fayf and @gipimann for posting the links), and all other providers' rates would have to fall a LOT to compete with it - c. 25%/35% on the day/night unit rates. If they do and it's worth switching I'll take the €50 hit that @Blackrock1 mentions if necessary.

Last edited:
Is it €50 break fee for electricity and €50 extra for gas or just the one €50 for both?
Seems to depend on the provider/contract. E.g.
Our Dual Fuel Offer – 12 month Fixed Term Contract. Discount is off our standard gas and electricity unit rates for 12 months. 5% discount thereafter. You must continue to pay by Direct Debit and receive Paperless bills to continue to receive discounts. An early Exit Fee of €50 will apply if you leave before the end of your Fixed Term Dual Fuel Contract. Prices are effective from 1 May 2023 and are subject to change. Offer available to new and existing single fuel customers.
Whereas...
Terms and Conditions apply. Unit rates and standing charge only are fixed for a 12-month period (early exit fee of €50 per fuel applies outside of the 14-day cooling-off period) and paying by Direct Debit only

Thanks @ClubMan, that's interesting. Would have to wonder if El Irl are keeping their options open to take both considering the wording below.

Product Terms and Conditions​

• You must hold an electricity and gas account with Electric Ireland for a minimum of 12 months from date of sign up to avail of this price plan.
  • If you cease to take electricity and gas from Electric Ireland before the end of your electricity price plan, we will apply a €50 (incl. VAT) exit fee to your electricity or gas account.
  • After the end of your fixed term, the exit fee clause will cease to apply to your contract.

If you are with Bord Gais coming up to renewal keep an eye on your renewal offer link... If you log into your online account you may see message with renewal rates also.

Seem to be offering big discounts 40 percent on dual fuel but online only.

I wouldn't be too concerned locking into a variable rate contract as your rate will fall when variable rates fall. You do run a risk of they start the larger discounts at the expense of people who don't switch/haggle

I would be very wary of locking into a fixed rate unless it was in the region of 25c or less.

I wouldn't be too concerned locking into a variable rate contract as your rate will fall when variable rates fall. You do run a risk of they start the larger discounts at the expense of people who don't switch/haggle

I would be very wary of locking into a fixed rate unless it was in the region of 25c or less.
I was lucky enough to sign up for the Flogas "community" one year fixed electricity rate (nightsaver) during one of its sporadic appearances (thanks again @fayf and @gipimann for posting the links), and all other providers' rates would have to fall a LOT to compete with it - c. 25%/35% on the day/night unit rates. If they do and it's worth switching I'll take the €50 hit that @Blackrock1 mentions if necessary.

Back