Cheapest Electricity Supplier

If you are with Bord Gais coming up to renewal keep an eye on your renewal offer link... If you log into your online account you may see message with renewal rates also.

Seem to be offering big discounts 40 percent on dual fuel but online only.

I am with BGE, coming up to renewal. I joined via One Big Switch.

I currently pay:

elec 44.21 less 33% = 29.62 cent plus 9% VAT = 32.29 cent

gas 13.40 less 33% = 8.98 cent plus 9% VAT = 9.79 cent

My online account is offering me:

elec 38% off standard rate = 29.88 incl 9% VAT

gas 38% off standard rate = 9.06 incl 9% VAT

Anyone that signed up to the fixed rate deal from Flogas as advertised in January has gotten their money's worth at this stage it included €150 welcome credit per fuel. Paying the break fee when a more attractive offers comes along is a no brainer. We seem to be hitting a bit of a perfect storm at last! Between Flogas claiming to have won 100K customers , a new entrant and Pinergy dropping their prices Bord Gais have moved to keep customers hopefully the other providers will follow. However there remains a few elephants in the room which is inflated standing charges, higher SC for rural customers. Also what is likely to happen with the reduced vat rate and PSO levy? Are these likely to return soon?

Anyone that signed up to the fixed rate deal from Flogas as advertised in January has gotten their money's worth at this stage it included €150 welcome credit per fuel.
Do they claw that back if the customer breaks the 12 month contract early?

That welcome credit wasn't part of the recent "community" one year fixed rate offer but the unit rates on that were significantly lower than available elsewhere and rates elsewhere would still need to fall very significant to compete.
However there remains a few elephants in the room which is inflated standing charges, higher SC for rural customers.
Different standing charges for different customer profiles (urban versus rural, nightsaver meters, etc.) are nothing new. I'm not aware of anything suggesting that this will change.
Also what is likely to happen with the reduced vat rate and PSO levy? Are these likely to return soon?
The PSO levy is still there - just that it's been negative (i.e. a credit on customer accounts) lately.

Do they claw that back if the customer breaks the 12 month contract early?
It depends on the supplier EI have it in their T&C's. I left Airtricity after 6 months last year having gotten €300 in welcome credit aside from the €50 penalty. They have not as of yet tried to claw it back.
Different standing charges for different customer profiles (urban versus rural, nightsaver meters, etc.) are nothing new. I'm not aware of anything suggesting that this will change.
One lives in hope! Why should a user in a rural area pay more for the same service as someone in a town/city? It doesn't happen with phone, broadband etc. As it is I am paying property tax which is to allow council to pay for things like public lighting foot paths etc. the nearest of these are 2 miles from me. I am happy to live in the countryside by my own volition but I don't see why someone in a town having the exact same service is getting it cheaper than me. My parents spent years paying handset rental from Telecom Eireann for something that was well paid for which is along the lines of the above. Sorry for going off on one . These kind of charges are money for old rope in my view.
The PSO levy is still there - just that it's been negative (i.e. a credit on customer accounts) lately.
Any idea what the plan here is? I doubt it will be credited or paused long term?

I am with BGE, coming up to renewal. I joined via One Big Switch.

I currently pay:

elec 44.21 less 33% = 29.62 cent plus 9% VAT = 32.29 cent

gas 13.40 less 33% = 8.98 cent plus 9% VAT = 9.79 cent

My online account is offering me:

elec 38% off standard rate = 29.88 incl 9% VAT

gas 38% off standard rate = 9.06 incl 9% VAT
How do you get this with BGE online is it a dual fuel offer only? I am electricity only. My current BGE rates just expired 29th Aug 39% discount
Day 32.22 incl Vat
Night 15.92 incl vat

Why should a user in a rural area pay more for the same service as someone in a town/city?
SF were trying to do something about this as far as I know.
Any idea what the plan here is? I doubt it will be credited or paused long term?
The PSO levy is set by the CRU year to year and the 2023/2024 PSO levy was recently set at €0.

Energia with rate reductions

Energia will be reducing gas and smart electricity rates by 20%, effective from 3rd October 2023

Just resigned with them yesterday. Guy said price (unofficially) reductions were likely. Didn't think it would be this quick!!

Last edited:
Energia with rate reductions

Energia will be reducing gas and smart electricity rates by 20%, effective from 3rd October 2023

15% off standard electricity prices. I am in a contract for 12 months and get a 10% discount off standard rates. I assume I will get this 15% discount off standard rate and then have a further 10% discount applied.

15% off standard electricity prices. I am in a contract for 12 months and get a 10% discount off standard rates. I assume I will get this 15% discount off standard rate and then have a further 10% discount applied.
Correct. This is a unit price reduction and separate to any % discount you are getting.

Good to see a downward shift. BGE are offering the same 33% discount I am currently on to renew. I'm inclined to sit it out as was hoping to get a better price for the next twelve months compared to the last. I'm also wondering what the government credit will come in at this year. I'm not expecting it to be €600 again if all providers follow suit with decreases.

How do you get this with BGE online is it a dual fuel offer only? I am electricity only. My current BGE rates just expired 29th Aug 39% discount
Day 32.22 incl Vat
Night 15.92 incl vat
The day/night rates are higher during the day than a 24 hour rate. The standard charge is as well bizarrely :mad:

I was on 39% discount past year with Bord Gais and they are offering it again for the coming year so I am happy enough with that, well I'd like base rates lower but wouldn't we all!

I had initiated a switch to Flogas Fixed offer but the BG one is marginally better so cancelled switch within 14 days and reverted back to BG. Original contract up 10th Sept

I was on 39% discount past year with Bord Gais and they are offering it again for the coming year so I am happy enough with that, well I'd like base rates lower but wouldn't we all!

I had initiated a switch to Flogas Fixed offer but the BG one is marginally better so cancelled switch within 14 days and reverted back to BG. Original contract up 10th Sept

How was that offer made? Verbally?

How was that offer made? Verbally?
No, it appeared on my online account, I was looking up the account as there was a bill issued due to the instigated switch, it was just there on top of page! Couldn't quite believe my eyes!

No, it appeared on my online account, I was looking up the account as there was a bill issued due to the instigated switch, it was just there on top of page! Couldn't quite believe my eyes!
Interesting, I'm just out of the 39% period and I haven't received any offer yet.

Interesting, I'm just out of the 39% period and I haven't received any offer yet.
They were emailing and messaging me telling me contract was nearly up but none of that correspondence contained any offers, if I hadn't looked up the account that day I could have missed it as it was gone again couple of days later.

Due to a delay in getting the account switched back within cooling off period BG said the offer was no longer available but anyway after a bit of back and forth they gave it to me as basically when I called about it there was no mention of the effect a delay in switching back could cause, in fact I was given the impression the switch back was basically instant once I cancelled with new provider as it hadn't even been fully processed. I had rang them the day I saw it to see could I switch to it so they had a record of it.

Reactions: Leo
Back