Health Insurance Cheaper alternative to Irish Life 4D Health 2 for adult + child?

Thanks a lot @Starrynights - very informative and helpful as usual. I will double check the cover under the respective policies but am pretty sure that it is something fully covered under both.

Just want to say thanks to everybody who responded to my original query and helped to make sense of the health insurance landscape allowing me to focus on the key comparable plans. I finally switched from Irish Life 4D Health 2 to VHI PMI 52 10 which better matches my needs and the loss of some day to day cover is more than offset by the slightly lower premium. Thanks a lot. :)

P.S. the issue of starting treatment while on one plan and then continuing on another didn't arise in the end so that was one complication that was moot.

As mentioned here it's renewal time.

I'm happy enough with the PMI 52 10 cover for the last year but am just wondering if I can squeeze any savings out this year?
  1. As mentioned in the aforementioned thread, there is a little bit of confusion over the renewal premium being higher than the premium on the VHI and HIA websites, but I'm waiting for a response from VHI about this.
  2. My son turns 18 in September so I'm assuming that he qualifies as a child for the duration of the next policy year (1st February 2023-2024)?
  3. He's on the PMI 52 10 child rate but I'm wondering if I could/should pare this back, possibly to the bare minimum cover, given that he's in very good health and not at risk of sports injuries (unless eSports RSI counts... :rolleyes: ) and just to keep him "in the system"?
  4. Are there any obvious comparable plans giving better cover and/or cost savings? (As usual, trying to compare using the HIA website is head melting... :().
Thanks for any feedback.

Last edited:
Back