Health Insurance VHI renewal premium higher than buying same policy afresh?

ClubMan

I just received my renewal notice for my VHI PMI 52 10 policy. The renewal premium is higher than the HIA's premium for this policy. And also what VHI would charge if I applied as a new customer. I didn't think that this was allowed with health insurance? Has anybody else come across this? I've queried it with VHI and am awaiting a response from them.

Is the renewal for Feb or March? Perhaps VHI are planning a price increase at some point between now and the renewal? If this is the case HIA wouldn't show this until it went live and new customers who signed up before the price increase date would get the old price.

Thanks @Starrynights - the renewal date is 1st February.
But I could go and buy a new policy from the VHI website for the lower price now.

Edit: if I go through the VHI website for a quote as a new customer with a start date of 1st February then I am quoted the lower price.

Last edited:
Strange, not common for this to occur with VHI. Laya sometimes offered online only sign up discounts that lead to a discrepancy. Best to ask VHI why it is, they might match the lower price for you, without the hassle of cancelling one policy and starting another.

Ok, VHI got back to me and what I was looking at was last year's premium. But, in my defence, that's what comes up when I click on the "16 days to renewal" link. Very confusing website design. :confused:

Back