"Charity" Clothes Collectors

i am getting a lot of them too - in Cork also and all they are are leaflets, different colours but very frequent.

But if you are getting rid of stuff and are suspicious of the collectors, would you guys not just fill yer boot and drop it into a charity shop or clothes recycling recepticle after work or at the weekends?.

Hi Anseo,
I couldn't enlarge your image but it looks as if I have a similar one in my collection.

The company reg. no on mine is 287899
A search the companies registrations office site shows that the company was dissolved back in 2000.

[broken link removed]

Nelly, I pop my clothes directly to the charity shops in Capel St Dublin.

This stuff is still bugging me though....

We get these in phases whereby we could get a different crowd every day for a week and then nothing for a while. It has got to the stage where I treat them all the same and plonk them all in the bin. If I want to get rid of old clothes, I will do it myself.

minion said:
Surely it cant be hard for the Guards to ctahc these people. After all they leave notes to say when they'll be there. Thats the easiest arrest they will ever make.
Is this another example of the Gardai not bothering at all.
Minion: you are being extremely uncharitable about the Gardaí. Basically these ‘charitable collections’ are an excuse that any suspicious character can use if challenged by the guards as to why they are in your garden or at your front door. They have a legitimate excuse that they were looking for a charitable donation of clothes. (Of course they could well be there for more nefarious reasons). I suggest you talk to your local neighbourhood watch or community policing garda about these ‘charitable collections’

I get loads of these requests, some "notices" without bags as well!

Never bothered to give them any though - I always use the nearby 'Asthma society cloth bank’ in Drogheda.

Got one 5 minutes ago. A company called Magnus Ltd. Company no. 5517716. A quick search of the companies office register and no such company registered.

got one this morning in cork, that stated they would even take foreign currency so they can buy vitamins for orphans!,
a new low i think!

I have been thinking about putting a sign up on our door requesting no hawkers/charity collectors/leaflet drops/whatever for a while now. We have been getting these leaflets (more often than not without bags) in a constant stream for quite some time now.

On a slightly different note, we have had to stop answering the door unless we are expecting someone to call, as every single day without fail at least one, if not more, people arrive on the doorstep asking for sponsorship/donations etc. for random charities, many of which I've never heard of. In one evening alone we got hit for over €20 (ok, all to reputable charities) between kids asking us to buy raffle tickets, sponsorship for the mini-marathon, collections for local sports clubs, etc. We now don't answer our door and will wave gaily out the window at the collectors instead.

Back on topic, if I spot a charity clothes leaflet being pushed through the letterbox, I tend to walk straight back out and ask the person to either take it away with them as i have no clothes for donation (not to them anyway) or throw it in the bin in full view of them. At least that one leaflet-dropper will know the next time not to waste the walk to our front door.

Long time lurker here but first post.

I get quite a lot of these flyers (2 yesterday evening alone).
A quick google throws up minutes of Dublin City Council Meeting from April 6th 2006.
[broken link removed]

Q97. COUNCILLOR NAOISE O’MUIRÍ
Those involved in the collection of discarded clothes in the Dublin region are obliged to obtain a Collection Permit from Dublin City Council (as clarified by the response to Question 41 of the March 06 North Central Area Committee).
Can the Manager therefore confirm that the following agencies currently engaged in collections in the City Area have all applied for and received Permits:
....list of 'Agencies' here....

Given that the Enforcement Unit attached to Waste Management section is obliged to ensure that all waste is collected, transported and disposed of properly can the Manager confirm (a) how many spot checks of collection/transportation representatives of the specific collection agencies outlined above were done in 2005 and (b) how many spot checks of collection/transportation representatives of the overall collective of clothing collections agencies were done in 2005.

CITY MANAGER’S REPLY:
The Collectors referred to by the Councillor do not have a waste collection permit from Dublin City Council. There were no specific checks carried out on these or other textile collection agencies. Our Enforcement Unit carries out ongoing checks for unauthorised waste collection and disposal, including the setting up of road checkpoints. In 2005 in the region of 100 such checkpoints were set up, resulting in the detection of a significant amount of illegal waste activities. We will be targeting unauthorised collection of textiles over the coming months in cooperation with the other Dublin local authorities.
It should be noted that the City Council provides 29 facilities where textiles will be accepted from householders free of charge.

Have had lots of these in my door too - up to 3 or 4 bags in some weeks. I try to put the bags out for a charity I recognise. Yesterday, I put one out for the Polio Society of Ireland. It was gone when I got home. I came across this post and it occurred to me that this collection could have been bogus. However, I rang the polio society and they confirmed that it was fine. Incidentally, they said they use "two northern guys"!

I got two of these this morning from different "agencies". Both collecting on Friday morning - can't wait to see the fight ensuing between the two for the bags.

After receiving one of these yesterday morning I got another one from the same company yesterday evening. I approached the individual and asked him about Magnus Ltd. explaining I could not find this company registered in the companies office. All as he said to me was "I do not understand I cannot speak English". However he suddenly decided to stop delivering the leaflets on our road and "disappeared".

If you go to North Cumberland street just off o'connell st on a saturday or sunday you will see where these bogus guys sell off your clothes

how do we know that the door collectors for the official charities are not sorting through the collections and selling the best items themselves

we had people delivering stick on leaflets in our housing estate at 3am this morning,woke up the whole house with next doors dog howling,is this legal?

Hi all,

I know posting is old but a more transparent alternative to getting rid of your old stuff - and getting something back for it might be:

www.swopshop.ie

Had the same problem in my area, but seems to have petered out completely now, thank God. I used to just use the bags as bin liners! I would tend to avoid the clothes banks as well, those of you who have seen the documentary about small children left in them all night will know what I mean...

Be aware there are bags with the Polio Fellowship logo and a non working mobile. The Polio Fellowship 01 2885463 confirm this is bogus and request people report them to Garda

we had people delivering stick on leaflets in our housing estate at 3am this morning,woke up the whole house with next doors dog howling,is this legal?

We get these to very regular and more recently they seem to be in the middle of the night. Woke up the other morning with the sound of them at 4am.

I would strongly suggest to people that in these recessionary times, that they give their best quality unwanted clothes to local charity shops as more and more people will now be turning there to buy clothes. I used to buy a lot of charity stuff when I was a student, now I'm going back there again. I got a fabulous cream leather jacket in my local charity shop for a fiver last week (was a tenner, but there was a half price sale on!).

Our Russian next door neighbours have a van with Clothing Collection written on the side of it. Last night they had the van backed up across their garden while one of them was in the back, opening all the bags and holding them up to the others as they split their haul between themselves. Seems to be just a means for clothing themselves in this case anyway.

We get those leaflets in the door every day now and have done for the last while. Well sick of them at this stage.

We get the leaflets all the time, at least one a day. They don't even bother leaving the plastic bag with them anymore!! Either way, the leaflets go straight into the recycling and anything we would give to charity gets taken straight to one of the charity shops.

M

Back