Changing Credit Card

I learned with horror today (by accident) that I have been paying an interest rate of over 17% on my MBNA Gold Card. The customer service lady in MBNA said she would reduce it to 14.9%. This evening I then find that the standard MBNA Gold Card rate is now 10.9%. I rang them again and had a bit of a rant. The gentleman told me I had a good case and I should call their loyalty department tomorrow.

I was aware that the Gold Card rate had been dropping over the last year or two and naively thought that I was getting the benefit of this. Apparently it doesn't work that way. I intend to insist on getting the 10.9% rate when I ring tomorrow. I assume the answer is no but have I any case for a refund of the substantial charges to date.

Bank of Scotland Ireland's new card might be worth a look ?

9.5% pa after 6 months @ 0% for balance transfers or purchases

[broken link removed]

Cheers

G>
[broken link removed]

Does anyone have view on which card is easiest to switch to. I like others, have had temporary blown out on MBNA card. Rang and got reduced rate of 10.9%, but they would not give me intro' rate of 0% for 6months. Have decided to switch as have large debit which I can't clear fully for approx 6months. However find Ulster Bank difficult to deal with - very poor admin and customer service. Say it will take 4 to 6 weeks .... once we provide life history (considering I have mortgage with them this is especially surprising). Will try B.of Scotland ....but aren't they same as UB?

ssnrcs said:
Does anyone have view on which card is easiest to switch to. I like others, have had temporary blown out on MBNA card. Rang and got reduced rate of 10.9%, but they would not give me intro' rate of 0% for 6months. Have decided to switch as have large debit which I can't clear fully for approx 6months. However find Ulster Bank difficult to deal with - very poor admin and customer service. Say it will take 4 to 6 weeks .... once we provide life history (considering I have mortgage with them this is especially surprising). Will try B.of Scotland ....but aren't they same as UB?

My gf is having a similar problem with Ulster Bank/Royal Bank of Scotland and she is an employee!

Ulster Bank are owned by RBS. Bank of Scotland Ireland are owned by HBOS. Totally separate. I don't know if the BoSI process is any quicker, and I can't remember how long it took me to switch from BoI to AIB last year.

So can you ring AIB credit card services and ask them to reduce your interest rate?

I wasnt aware you could do this?

Will I have any joy? I have had an AIB Gold Card for 7 years.

Back