Census Form Question - clarification required

Henny Penny said:
Not all counties in Ireland would have a maternity hospital, hence the place where your mother resides at the time of your birth is where you're from.

Maybe not all. But thats not the point as I see it. As far as I am concerned if my mother lived in another county and I got born in dublin on a weekend away, I'm from Dublin. If my mother lived in Kildare but brought me up to a dublin hospital to be born, my place of birth is Dublin. etc etc!

Anyway, if they want the "the place where your mother lived at the time of your birth" why didn't they just ask for that and SKIP the "What is your place of birth? " which was the main question!

both cu junior's were born in Newry. in the last census it specified county of birth. We just put Louth as mothers place of residence to answer this question.

The question is confusing, but it does ask for the residence of the mother.

For instance, in the case of Meath, Kildare and Wicklow, a lot of mothers go to maternity hospitals in Dublin. The CSO doesn t care if these people
are proud of the fact that they were born in Dublin, they care about being about to predict how many 5 year old will be looking for school
places in 5 years time.

My dog has a fetish for paper and is now eyeing up the census form.

Any good reason why an option to complete the census online was not made available?

Furze said:
Any good reason why an option to complete the census online was not made available?
I understand that the CSO were concerned about;

1) How the collectors would know whether the online form had been completed?
2) Inconsistency of results arising from the 2 different collection methods (even though the questions are identical)

I'd guess that there are solutions available to no.1, but not to no.2. I understand the international experience with online census collection has not been hugely successful.

Anyone know when the forms are likely to be collected? Nobody has called for ours yet.

Hi Moesha,
a question for you, when our census form was delivered I informed the guy that we would be in the UK on that night and he made some notes on his papers and I did not get a form.

Today the enumerator called and questioned me like as if I was an imbecile "are you sure the two of you were away , was it not just one of you" I was then asked to fill in a form to tell the address in the UK where we had spent that night.
What difference does that make to the census?

I have no objection to filling in our census and never had but I found that was intruding into my personal life.

They have no business asking where in the UK you were. The mere fact that you were is all they need to know.

Do you know what form it was?

I did not see the heading or number on the form as it was on his clipboard.

He just entered both our names on it and the address we stayed at on the census night.

franmac said:
Hi Moesha,
a question for you, when our census form was delivered I informed the guy that we would be in the UK on that night and he made some notes on his papers and I did not get a form.

Today the enumerator called and questioned me like as if I was an imbecile "are you sure the two of you were away , was it not just one of you" I was then asked to fill in a form to tell the address in the UK where we had spent that night.
What difference does that make to the census?

I have no objection to filling in our census and never had but I found that was intruding into my personal life.
The reason why you were not given a form was because you were not in Irleland on the 23rd April (census day). Instead you have to fill out a form called Form E. This is just a declaration by you to say that you were not at your normal address and you have to give an address that you were at. If for instance you enexpectadly away in Cork at a businessmeeting or whatever, you would be enumerated there. And this form E tracks that. BTW they are only used when the whole house is away on Census day. If there is somebody in the house you will get a form, they write you down as absent and fillin a few questions at the back of the form about you.

If on the form E you give your temp address as Room 410 Jurys Inn COrk. My supervisor would have to check with the Census enumerator of the Hotel that you were counted.
But as you were out of the country you will not be counted. IMO the CE was doing what we were told to do. I dont think they were intruding, tbh its less work for us if you were out of the country butmore work for the Supervisor :p .

I hope this clarifies the matter for you............

BTW i have a pain in my This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language with this Census, i cant wait until ive all my forms collected as i need my life back now!!!!!!!!!

moesha said:
http://www.cso.ie/census/documents/census_2006_guide_10-22.pdf

Check this out it might help you! Im a census enumerator so feel free to ask anymore questions;)
Hi Moesha, I dont think the census aptly captured the details of people who live in ireland but work in another country.

For example, should someone who flys over to london on a weekly basis put in a commuting distance of 1000km? If so, Im sure this would leave a lot of enumerators scratching their heads as there was no area to specify that you fly to work.

anybody get an enumeator who complained about the hours and pay? mine did. said it was the most grossly mis-advertised job he ever did. and then I gave him back the completed form he left the first time he called and also the blank one he left the second time he called.

Back