Census Form Question - clarification required

podgerodge

On page 4 of the census form it asks "What is your place of birth? - give the place where your mother lived at the time of your birth."

So if my mother lived in, say, Carlow at the time of my birth but I was born in Dublin which answer would I give here? I have mentioned this to a few people and heard different interpretations. As I see it, if I answer "Carlow" that is not my place of birth. If I answer "Dublin" it's not where my mother lived at the time....

ps while there are two rows of boxes under the question for writing in answers this does not mean that 2 answers can be given.

yes, it does seem confusing. Maybe you could ask the census people.

As I see it, if I answer "Carlow" that is not my place of birth. If I answer "Dublin" it's not where my mother lived at the time....

'Ireland' would probably cover it in this case.

As a census enumerator we were told to use the county of residence of your mother at the time of your birth.

Not all counties in Ireland would have a maternity hospital, hence the place where your mother resides at the time of your birth is where you're from.

Hi there,

I haven't received a census form yet at all? I have called twice requesting one but still haven't got one. I guess it's too late to get one now :(

Anyone know if you can pick one up in the garda station or anything?

I got mine yesterday. The census enumerator of my area called on Friday at 15.00, expecting us to be at home. He left a note in our door, with his contact number. We texted the guy, who called us back, and arrange to drop it on saturday morning.
The funny thing was that having not received the form on Friday, I called the CSO Census line, and when explained the situation the operator said "seat tight, you will get one in the next 24 hours" (that was friday afternoon, before I got home and saw the note). I mean, what time of answer is that? When asked what to do if I didn't receive it, he said, "call back again".

Ariidae,

You should get one by tonight if not somebody isnt doing their job properly. Where do you live, not location , but is it in a block of apartments or a country house, in the middle of nowhere? Did you get anything at all in your door about the census? We all have calling cards that we leave if we knock and there is nobody there the 2nd and 3rd time we will leave one with our number and you can call or text us. If your not there on the 4th time we can drop the form in the letterbox. Actually, i know silly question but do you have a letterbox? Some of my houses dont!!!!! But i managed to get the form into a few..

Cati76 said:
The census enumerator of my area called on Friday at 15.00, expecting us to be at home. .

In out training we are told the best time to catch people is in the evening and weekend. But I have chanced my arm and got people in during the day. I dont thinks its fair to make that statement above. Us CE's arent psychic, we dont know when and when not people are going to be in..........

moesha said:
...we dont know when and when not people are going to be in..........
But you're working on it, right? ;)

In relation to the OP's question — as Henny Penny points out, 'the place where your mother lived at the time of your birth' can only mean her usual place of residence/'permanent address'.

moesha said:
In out training we are told the best time to catch people is in the evening and weekend. But I have chanced my arm and got people in during the day. I dont thinks its fair to make that statement above. Us CE's arent psychic, we dont know when and when not people are going to be in..........
Sorry Moesha if my comment offended you, it was not intended that way. My only complaint was the response I got over the phone. I got the card from my enumarator with his phone, and from there we arrange a drop time, and he said that if we were not at home, he would leave it in the letter box. I know it's really difficult to get into some places, like the block I live in, where there is a code to get in, so either you know the code to get in, or you wait till someone let you in. But don't you think Saturday 22nd is a bit late to be getting the forms? I mean, we all have to fill the form tonight, I am not from here, so it might be difficult for me to get in touch with the enumerator should I have any questions, etc etc.
I did my homework, and got the info from the CSO, but not sure if everyone out there is that bothered.

Ah dont worry no offence taken.

If you need to ask the CE a question just fill in what you can and when they come to collect the form you can ask your q then. I am dreading my collection for my area coz alot of people told me that they cant read or write and i will be filling the form out for them when i call to collect.

I think the 22nd is fine to get your form. In fact i still have to deliver a few today. Not from laziness but only because these houses were vacant and now there is somebody living in them.

The form looks like hard work filling it in but its not really. The Household form covers six people. The same questions for 6 people. Unders 15 dont answer q's 20 to 34.

Your enumerator sounds like he is doing exactly what we were trained to do. the reason why we have to make contact with a person in the house is so we can ascertain how many forms we need to give.

I could go on and on but its a lovely day and im going to make daisy chains with my kids now.

ttfn

Where do you live, not location , but is it in a block of apartments or a country house, in the middle of nowhere? Did you get anything at all in your door about the census? We all have calling cards that we leave if we knock and there is nobody there the 2nd and 3rd time we will leave one with our number and you can call or text us. If your not there on the 4th time we can drop the form in the letterbox. Actually, i know silly question but do you have a letterbox? Some of my houses dont!!!!! But i managed to get the form into a few..

I live in an apartment and our postwoman has a key to leave our mail. But I left phone numbers and never got a call! Pity! :( I love the idea of my great great grand kids trying to look me up and stuff :D

All is not lost!

[FONT=Verdana, Arial] Anyone who has still not received a census form is asked to call 1890 236 787.
[/FONT]
Marion

one of the questions for people absent on 23rd is how long they have been absent ie over 3 months etc. Cu junior was present until 9pm tonight but departed for college at that time. He had already been informed by DCU that anyone in residence on Sunday night would be included in the college return. He has been in Dcu since October. He's home every weekend and if the census was last weekend or next weekend for example he would have been here. So is he absent for less than 3 months or more than three months?

you can still request and complete forms over the next few days in the expectation that you will remember the set-up from SUnday night.

justin said:
As a census enumerator we were told to use the county of residence of your mother at the time of your birth.
Really? I don't think the passport office would be too happy with that approach.
Why won't people answer that question correctly by saying which county were they born in, simple? I am proud of the fact I was born in Dublin even though I only spent a week there! :D

podgerodge said:
On page 4 of the census form it asks "What is your place of birth? - give the place where your mother lived at the time of your birth."
This seems perfectly clear to me. Despite the €50M we're putting into this they couldn't manage proof read the form, as there is a mistake on page 19 'Relationship of person six to persons 1, 2, 3, 4' . . it seems they don't care what relationship person six has to person five. Given the volume of people moving to and from this country I can't see a 5 year Census being current or useful for very long.

Back