Cemetery for Catholics only?

When you buy a family plot you don't 'own' the grave you have the use of it. If anyone is stuck for a last resting place having lived the athiestic high-life the newest (non-denominational) solution is a green burial with a 'wrapper' of hessian or a simple recycled compressed paper coffin, all in the field or wood of your choice with a tree planted on top if you wish. We discussed this on AAM some years ago. I put some contact details for Irish green burials.

As long as you don't bury a corpse adjacent to the human water supply system you can legally dispose of remains anywhere, including your own back garden.

I agree with the previous 2 posters that you are not allowed to do this - however Marie Id be interested in seeing your 'Irish green burial' links?

Many years ago, actually. There was a particular controversy about one such case well over a decade ago where a family were not allowed bury someone on their own land.

Was it about this particular story?

Relief as woman's last wish granted

[broken link removed]

Or this one - which has absolutely nothing on the site to lead me to believe that the story is true and mentions practically nothing about the legalities of such a burial either - in fact the story states the the woman in question went ahead with her husbands burial without consulting the county council 6 years after an initial (and somewhat inconclusive) enquiry.

[broken link removed]

Back