Cemetery for Catholics only?

pops

My children are not christened in the RC faith and although I was, I'm not a believer anymore. My husband was brought up in the Church of Scotland and is also an atheist. My worry is that should my children or my husband pre-disease me, will I be able to get a plot in my local cemetry where all my family have been buried? Sorry to be so morbid!!

Re: Cemetry for Catholics only?

Its something I never heard asked before.

I don't think that cemeteries would be only for Catholics, unless of course the land was owned by the Catholic Church.

I would guess that it is the right of every citizen to receive burial in a city cemetery irrespective of religion.

What else would the authorities do with your body otherwise:confused:

I would guess that it is the right of every citizen to receive burial in a city cemetery irrespective of religion.

This is a very interesting question!!! RMCF - are 'city cemeteries' different to ones connected to particular churches or parishes?

I will also be in the position of not being a practising catholic when I die but I always thought Id go for the cremation option (nothing to do with religious beliefs though, just personal preference).

Cemetry for Catholics only?

You could check this through a local undertaker. I always assumed cemetaries were denominational. I live near a Quaker cemetery which is a burial place for Quakers (not others). As far as I know the only 'inter-denominational' setups are the crematoria and the arrangement there is you bring the priest/vicar/rabbi of your own faith to conduct the last rituals.

I could be wrong but I believe Glasnevin Cemetry is non - denom, maybe was even established specifically for that purpose

My children are not christened in the RC faith and although I was, I'm not a believer anymore. My husband was brought up in the Church of Scotland and is also an atheist. My worry is that should my children or my husband pre-disease me, will I be able to get a plot in my local cemetry where all my family have been buried? Sorry to be so morbid!!

If all your family are buried there - can't you be buried with them that is if there is enough time between their death and yours. I was at a funeral recently where the deaceased's funeral service (Mass) was in the ROI church and she was buried in the local COI graveyard where her late husband was buried. (She was ROI and he was COI and he was dead 30 years)

Was at a funeral in a little village, where an elderly lady was being buried. she was a born again christian,before that she had been church of England. She was English and moved to Ireland a couple of years ago and had no famliy ties to area, She was buried in the local RC graveyard and had a very born again christian service. I think it depends on the parish preist at the time.

Jeepers Happy Days !! Good question - I am Jewish and for which the RC Church does not take Jews in for burial. My wife is RC and from good old Rural Ireland and she asked the priest a number of years ago would they take me and was told NO. There was a change of priest , for who we have become friendly with and he says no problem. Likely to change when a different priest is in place. Saying that I have no desire to go there and i'm off to the Jewish burial ground, but alas I have no intention going for a while. Forget me, for the OP, you had better do some (no pun intended) spadework on this subject with the local clergy .

This is a very interesting question!!! RMCF - are 'city cemeteries' different to ones connected to particular churches or parishes?

I will also be in the position of not being a practising catholic when I die but I always thought Id go for the cremation option (nothing to do with religious beliefs though, just personal preference).

I appreciate that many cemeteries are attached to churches and as such would be their property. But in many of the bigger cities there are large cemeteries that are 'standalone'. I always assumed that these were run by the local council.

But I am no expert - perhaps I am wrong.

had a look on citizensinformation.ie - it would appear that cemeteries are owned by either local parishes or local authorities - no mention of religion so id imagine the local authority ones allow all faiths.

Thanks for all the replies. I live in (very) rural Ireland where there is only one cemetry and is as far as I know owned by the RC and I don't fancy approaching the local priest as he is not the friendliest. Hopefully he'll pop his clogs soon and be replaced by someone more open-minded. I don't know if there is a crematorium in the West of Ireland but it's worth finding out.

pops -- There are no crematoriums in the West of Ireland. If it remains a deceaseds wishes to be cremated, the undertakers take the Body to Dublin to be cremated. As far as I know there are no plans in the distant future to make this facility available. Not sure wat part of the West you are in, but have you noticed that they are amalgamating different paishes due to the shortage of priests.

Thanks for all the replies. I live in (very) rural Ireland where there is only one cemetry and is as far as I know owned by the RC and I don't fancy approaching the local priest as he is not the friendliest.

Usually the policies on these matters are dealt with at diocesan level, ie the bishop

Hopefully he'll pop his clogs soon and be replaced by someone more open-minded.

What a touching statement. If this is your attitude to him, I'm not surprised if "he is not the friendliest" to you in return.

ubiqutous. Whilst not a Christian and not wishing to take sides for either side, some of the clergy in this part of the country are downright ignorant.I've heard some of the stories from persons of happenings when people where young (in the last 40 years), to the present times, and it would make the hair stand on the back of your head. However, there are some extremely caring and pleasant priests who have to take up the role of compensating for the others' misgivings and blatant ignorance.

ubiqutous. Whilst not a Christian and not wishing to take sides for either side, some of the clergy in this part of the country are downright ignorant.I've heard some of the stories from persons of happenings when people where young (in the last 40 years), to the present times, and it would make the hair stand on the back of your head. However, there are some extremely caring and pleasant priests who have to take up the role of compensating for the others' misgivings and blatant ignorance.

That may be so but wishing for someone to die soon is a bit much, in my opinion...

Can't dissagree with your opinion but however I think that an euphemism should have been used in this case.

This particular priest has spoken against single mothers in the parish, refused to babtize children whose parents who haven't been married etc. My children the only ones in the local school who haven't been christened or undergone their 1st communion and there has been a bit of pressure about this. Whilst not exactly wishing anything terrible to happen to him, you can understand why I am reluctant in asking him about the use of the local graveyard.

pops - sounds familiar. We're both in the same part of the country allright. Send me a PM as to where exactly you are (which parish or town)

Back