Caught on licensed premises after hours?

positivenote

Hey all, not sure if this is the right place but this is a bit of a legal issue. I was in a certain premises after hours on sat night and the garda took everybody's name and addresses, altogether there was easily 30/40 names taken. Could there be any repercutions legally for those whoes names where taken, or is it just my paranoid self getting the better of me???
admin, if this aint the place im sorry for posting here.
Thanks

Re: on premises after hours?

are you serious??? im paronoid enough as it is. i thought that it would be the propritors problem having people on the premises after hours... what does prosecuted mean in anyway?? paying a fine??

could be a summons!-but don't worry about it-no big deal!

Of course Im serious!
You are an adult by default since you were in a pub. How could the owner be responsible - unless he would not let you get out!

Take a look at the court notes in the papers, you see this often enough. Usually a small fine.

Can anyone point to the relevant statute? I was in a lock-in a few months ago and it didn't even occur to me that I might be commiting a offence (particularly as I wasn't drinking!).

Hmm. Intoxicating Liquor Act 1927

with the [broken link removed].

runner said:
Of course Im serious!
You are an adult by default since you were in a pub. How could the owner be responsible - unless he would not let you get out!

Actually I think both are responsible, the OP could have chosen to leave and the owner could have chosen to close the premises at the proper time.

if the guards decide to prosecute then you will be fined as a 'found on'. Usually amounts to a fine (see above link or the court pages in any local papers.)
The publican will get a more significant fine for allowing you to remain on the premises after hours. In repeat cases the publican may lose his licence

positivenote said:
I was in a certain premises after hours on sat night and the garda took everybody's name and addresses, altogether there was easily 30/40 names taken. Could there be any repercutions legally for those whoes names where taken, Thanks

It is agreat way of getting your name in the local paper down the shticks

The problem is that if they want to prosecute the owner for having people on the premises than they have to produce people that were there. This means that they will have to procecute more than one of the "found ons". I doubt that they will hit everyone so you may be lucky.

sometimes the pub owners ring the gendarmee to 'clear' the premises. guards make a big deal of it and publican has no more problems clearing premises. Different though if the publican was happy to be there and serving away. Anyway if you want ammunition, just go the the pub nearest your local garda station. it will be serving drinks very late in most rural towns. how you use the ammunition is something else though.

positivenote - were they checking ID or assuming honesty? The Gardai are great at the auld soft targets. Fair play to them. A credit to the nation. Lord knows what we'd all be up to if it wasn't for them. Drinking late and the likes. Lawdy. Makes me sick to my stomach. Damned adults out drinking late. Back to your beds! You can feck off to the lawless backwaters of France or Germany if you want to be up to that carry on.

If it does make it to court and you are fined I think the publican normally pays the fine for the customer. (Well in my local area anyway)

I've been caught a couple of times and I've just given a fake name and assress - I never heard anything after that.

Where were you anyway?

shnaek said:
- were they checking ID or assuming honesty?

Id say you could just say it wasnt you unless they took id from you. Its your word against his/hers. Theres no way a Garda could remember all 30-40 of you.

I recall an incident where a local criminal was arrested and maintained it wasnt him and got off as the Garda agreed that it wasnt him as the criminal he caught was scruffy looking with long hair. (eh, soap and scissors)
He was on the front of the Star with a big headline "Im Free".

redbhoy said:
Id say you could just say it wasnt you unless they took id from you. Its your word against his/hers. Theres no way a Garda could remember all 30-40 of you.

I was in a pub in London a few years ago, when they had to close on Sunday afternoon. Cops turned up about 10 minutes after afternoon closing time and took everyones name and ID. Cops also had a video camera and everyones face was taken note of.

I don't suppose the Gardai used a camera?

I'd say you'll be OK - if there are 30 - 40 of ye involved the gardai will possibly avoid the workload!

The bar owner might be the only one to face the consequences.

Back