Caught on licensed premises after hours?

is it up the customer to know the correct closing time?

are you required to ask if they have a late licence if a but is open later... or can you assume they do ?

About 6 years ago, I was caught after-hours in a pub in a rural town with about 8 other people. In that town, at that time, it was €50 regardless - if you turned up in court, it was €50. If you hired a solicitor and stayed away, it was €25 for him and €25 for the court.

The sad/funny thing is I moved to America shortly after the fine. I was worried about being refused entry etc for being a criminal as the US authorities want to know if you have a criminal record. I went into my local police station in Ireland to ask if I should declare it. The 'front desk' actually laughed at me and called in a few of his colleagues to 'confer'.

Long story short, I framed my summons and stuck it on the wall in my 'den' (for want of a better word).

okay, so i was locked it was about 4am, the place stoped serving at 3.30 legally and yes i gave the right name and address, honest to a fault. what is the story with a summons anyway, is there no way of going down the local cop shop and paying a fine or something?

sluice44 said:
Long story short, I framed my summons and stuck it on the wall in my 'den' (for want of a better word).
"Den" isn't a euphemism for "cell" by any chance? :D

If you are prosecuted I'd be very surprised. The old bill dont want to do the paper work, they probably just wanted a pint. They could'nt be arsed - unless they were really after the owner for multiple offences and would like to see his LIC cancelled, then you may have a prob, but its very unlikely.

sitecorp said:
I'd say you'll be OK - if there are 30 - 40 of ye involved the gardai will possibly avoid the workload!

The bar owner might be the only one to face the consequences.
As I already said there can not be an offence if there were no "found ons" so if they want to get the bar owner thay have to get someone else.
Sometimes they like to remind the bar owners just who the boss is and unfortunatly people get caught in the middle.

Back