Cars with no brake lights/one headlight

I'll agree with MrMan that they do look well on a car, Audi A4 & A6, for example but I dont think they dazzle on coming traffic as mush as having your full headlights on. I think its down to driver common sense ( a rare trait I know). You know if your spots are causing a problem from other driver reactions. I have 12 spot lamps on the front of my jeep but I'm fully aware that they will blind oncoming traffic so never use them on the roads and they are not linked to the headlamps.

How do people know that driving with their fog lights on looks cool if they cant see their own fog lights? That is. They are in their own car and therefore can't observe their fog lights and are denied the aesthetic pleasure of observed coolness. Is it a case of drivers seeing other cars driving with their fog lights on and copying this to look cool or enhance their coolness? Genuine question.

How do people know that driving with their fog lights on looks cool if they cant see their own fog lights? .

Turn them on before you start your journey, get out of a car for a second and walk a few metres ahead of your stationary car in the driveway, then take a good look... it's not that hard....and god damn it does look good! :)

How does it make it any different....its just a car with four lights instead of two!! :rolleyes: Looks brighter, thats about it.

Is it a case of drivers seeing other cars driving with their fog lights on and copying this to look cool or enhance their coolness? Genuine question.

Pretty much the case. Its like anything when it comes to aesthetics, you generally see it somewhere else first and decide you would like it for yourself, just look at all the ladies that have tatoos on the base of their backs its not like they can admire it themselves but they get it done anyway. I think its funny when people here have slagged the fact that someone likes the look of front fog lights because when they choose a car for themselves I'm sure that the aesthetic values come into play aswell.

How does it make it any different....its just a car with four lights instead of two!! Looks brighter, thats about it.

I agree, it doesn't make a huge difference which makes it all the more amazing that they cause such a stir in the first place.

Brighter yes, but looks well also.

And there's the rub.
Despite the Rules of the Road saying:

csirl;586267Remember:[LIST said:
[*]You must use fog lights only in dense fog or falling snow. Turn them off in clear weather or you will risk causing glare or dazzling other drivers.
"I" think my car looks nicer with them on, so I'll ignore rules that don't suit me & the rest of the country will just have to make the best of it.
Nice.

I drive an A4 and do not leave my front fog lights on. This is because it’s rude and may cause discomfort to oncoming traffic and I am not so insecure that I am concerned about how random strangers who drive past me perceive my level of aesthetic “coolness”.
If this is a reason for using your front fog lights all the time then you have deeper problems…

"I" think my car looks nicer with them on, so I'll ignore rules that don't suit me & the rest of the country will just have to make the best of it.
Nice.

You may have noticed that in Ireland many of the 'rules' are bendy, it's not a cause of great concern.

I drive an A4 and do not leave my front fog lights on. This is because it’s rude and may cause discomfort to oncoming traffic and I am not so insecure that I am concerned about how random strangers who drive past me perceive my level of aesthetic “coolness”.

What does driving an A4 have to do with it?

If this is a reason for using your front fog lights all the time then you have deeper problems…

Its hardly cause for a shrink

In e.g. Spain or Poland (and many more countries I'm sure) you wouldn't get away with one brake light or headlight for very long. In fact you are more likely to be stopped for this than for non-extreme speeding.

Also, in e.g. Spain it is a legal requirement to carry replacement bulbs in the car at all times - therefore the old "oh is the bulb gone? - I didn't realise" excuse won't help much: "no problem senor - simply replace it with your spare now then..."

Cue some mumbling and awkwardness followed swiftly by an on the spot fine...

In e.g. Spain or Poland (and many more countries I'm sure) you wouldn't get away with one brake light or headlight for very long. In fact you are more likely to be stopped for this than for non-extreme speeding.
Same in the USA

Also, in e.g. Spain it is a legal requirement to carry replacement bulbs in the car at all times - therefore the old "oh is the bulb gone? - I didn't realise" excuse won't help much: "no problem senor - simply replace it with your spare now then..."

Cue some mumbling and awkwardness followed swiftly by an on the spot fine...
One small problem these days is that changing the bulb is no longer a DIY job. The car manufacturers are trying to maximise revenue for the repair/maintenance division, so it's becoming more and more widespread that you need to take the car to a mechanic to change a blown headlight bulb.

Back