Carers leave

Foreveryoung

Hi all...
thinking of looking for Carers leave from work to look after my ill mum.. I would need a year out... Anybody know what I would be entitled to for example refund of tax... USC... etc ... also what is my employer entitled to pay me ... bank holidays etc...

You get annual leave and bank holidays for the first 13 weeks. I am on it at the moment for my father. I have taken 6 months and might apply for a year extension now. Assuming approved for leave you should get benifit, 210 per week (probably increasing next year from budget I think). I started in June and got a lot of tax back during the year. It will take about 10 weeks to get approved by department. Work have no choice but to approve once you worked there for 12 months. However if urgent they may approve in advance of department approval and put through unpaid leave or something in between. This purely depends on your employer.

Depending on what time of year you start and how much tax you are paying the tax back when you go on it can be very considerable.

Good luck with it and any questions just shout. See also here
https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/carers-leave.205417/#post-1534820

Back