Carer's Leave

Jane

Hi all,

I need some help in understanding this process a little better. I have notified my employer of my intention to take carer's leave. I am waiting on the GP to complete his section of the form and then I will send it off to the Dept of Social Protection.

However, I rang them today to ask them a few questions in regards to the form and they told me there was a 10-week backlog. I need to leave as soon as possible and had planned to tell my employer I would be leaving on Nov 3rd. Are they likely to say no until the decision has been made by the deciding officer? The lady in the Carer's Benefit department said this was unlikely to happen and there was "recourse" if they refused.

I meet the 12-month continuous criteria (I've been with this company many years), it's just the approval part that has not happened yet and with this delay, I'm quite anxious.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Turns out my employers have been really great about it so there was no need to worry.

Good luck with it Jane. I am currently on leave for a parent. Also my workplace allowed it to go ahead prior to it being approved. Just to note, if you take built up annual leave for the first week or so of your carers leave the carers benifit may not be paid for that time. Once mine was looked at after the 10 weeks, it was processed quickly with one more form required and the leave and benifit granted. Good luck

Hi Tom, thanks for that. I'm the same, caring for a parent. Very glad this exists :)

Back