Carers allowance taken away after 2 years as I dont meet the means test.

If he's so open about it then why not ask him straight if he is defrauding SW? If he says that he is then you can report him.

If he's so open about it then why not ask him straight if he is defrauding SW? If he says that he is then you can report him.

Then the lad will know who reported him then! I should let it lie but it irks me.

If you suspect that there is fraud, you can report it to SW who will review his case to ensure that he is getting his correct entitlements.

Can you? How serious will they take it though?
Very serious. They have inspectors dedicated to such work. Naturtally, they will not just take your allegation on face value as some such reports are malicious. They will build up evidence based on survellience and the like adn eventually, when they feel they have a strong enough case, they will confront the person with it. You can report it anonymously if you wish.

hi
any idea how long it takes to get word back about carers all asit is being assed
thanks marydoll

NO, took down that shelf there last year, dont like laminated shelves ;)

Try directory enquiries.... 11811 is the number....

Seriously, Social Welfare fraud is a serious issue. I think an advertising campaign like the one run by the insurance companies, is needed, to jog the conscience of people. I'm not saying your neighbour is defrauding the state. I think anyone who is a carer, whether part time or full time, deserves a medal. But I think as a nation, we have a nudge nudge, wink wink kind of attitude to social welfare fraud. Take the person who works and claims unemployment assistance, or the single parent who claims One Parent Family Payment while living with his/her partner who is in full time employment. It gives unemployed people and single parents a bad name, because everyone gets "tarred with the same brush"! It is grossly unfair on people who through no fault of their own are dependant upon Social Welfare payments to survive from week to week. People who defraud social welfare are putting their hands in OUR POCKETS and taking our money!!!

Marydoll, sorry to hear about your sister and it must be a lot of work looking after her. If you have 3000 Euro in your bank account for the means tested carers benefit/allowance which brings you over the limit, can you just spend the 3K to bring you back into being eligible for it. I wouldn't listed to other people in the social welfare office. You should sit down with a social welfare officer and ask exactly what are the rules. Or if you post on here more details, your income, your husband's income, your savings etc someone on this website might be able to tell you what you should be entitled to. For a start it's not clear if you were getting a 'benefit' or an 'allowance.'
Yop - is your neighbour looking after an ill person when he comes home from work? Any who are you to judge that other person, I have great sympathy with anyone who looks after disabled/incapacitated/sick relatives and friends and I feel they don't get paid half enough for it.

If you have 3000 Euro in your bank account for the means tested carers benefit/allowance which brings you over the limit, can you just spend the 3K to bring you back into being eligible for it.

But this will only bring you below the limit to qualify for the minimum payment (€2.80 for single person). Also other means factors may be influencing the assessment other than capital.

Yop - is your neighbour looking after an ill person when he comes home from work? Any who are you to judge that other person, I have great sympathy with anyone who looks after disabled/incapacitated/sick relatives and friends and I feel they don't get paid half enough for it.

We all have sympathy with carers but just because we feel they are not paid enough by the state does not mean that we should condone fraudulent claiming. After all, if all fraud was eliminated, there would be more money to pay for the genuine claimants.

Last edited:
Back