Carers allowance taken away after 2 years as I dont meet the means test.

marydoll

hi all my first post

i had the careers allow for 2 years and the welfare has taken it off me as i did not meet the means test.

I am still looking after the family member {female} who has Alzheimer's and my husband helps with the caring.

Can you give any advise on how we should proceed with this problem we have appealed it but it takes so long as most people will know if they have similar problems with the welfare in this country.

marydoll

As you already had Carers Allowance for 2 years I assume you qualified on the original means test so has there been a change in circumstances (ie. extra income into household) since then?
Are you sure the correct means test is being applied. Some improvements were made in Budget 2008
You should still be entitled to the Respite Care Grant of €1700 even if the Carers does not continue

hi thanks for your reply
yes we had money in account which was 3k over the limit which u are allowed under the rules.we did not know that it was ameans tested benifit
for careers allowance and it was shock when it was taken off me after 2yrs as i was lookin after a family member all this time 24/7 ;so we have sent them all the bank statements for the last 3 yrs and if i dont get the book back she will have to go into full time care she is only 54.
is there any advice u can give me to fight this unjust case'and do the careers get a creditor astamp for there 2yrs i was lookin after here

marydoll

When filling up the original application form for Carers Allowance you would have been asked for details of income plus savings and investments, so it appears something was ommitted on that form. I suppose you can only wait for the outcome of their investigation. Perhaps there may be a reduced Allowance due or there may some grounds for an appeal

Credits will automatically be given if you have been working and paying PRSI prior to going on Carers

hi thank you for your reply and for your info yes i did appeal it i was told book not canceled just send bank statments for 2005 till now .to make sure we dont have lump in bank what we had in 2006 a lot was spent on the house so we are well under the amount now .well i will just have to wait and see what happens its gone 8 weeks now .
do you know if you can work few hrs while waiting the appeal even though most nights my sis could be up not sleep we could be get to sleep when time to get up
thanks again
marydoll

You would be allowed to work for up to 15 hours per week while on Carers as long as you could arrange care for your patient while you are at work.

As you are not receiving Carers at present I dont see any reason why you could not work if you can manage the caring

I suspect that it was Carer's BENEFIT that you were in receipt of for two years and not Carer's ALLOWANCE as you state. This is not means tested but entitlement ceases after two years and then you had to apply for the means-tested CA. You must have been over the limit for the means and so Carer's Allowance was not payable. Am I correct?

i was getting carer allowance there was that many people telling me so many storiesand even the welfare web site is just a guide one person said your allowed 20k and another said said 40k

So you passed the means test for the allowance for two years but then your circumstances changed and your means disqualified you?

Sorry for jumping the thread, but is it true that if someone works more than 15hours in the week that they are NOT entitled to the allowance?
Whats the case if someone is working more than that and leaving the elderly person unattended for some of if not all of the time they are gone away to work?

sorry Clubman, its a neighbour of mine, I should mind my own business but he is enjoying going on about his "new car" to the rest of us while he heads of working and leaves his relative sitting at home.
I dont like my tax going to his "cause"

Presumably you are not privy to the full details of his situation that you can conclude that he is or is likely to be defrauding SW? For example do you even know that Carer's Benenfit/Allowance is being claimed and, if so, how?

He goes around telling people! "Sure I will be getting the lob now in July from the carers allowance, will help towards that motor" . He does not hide it!

Back