Car left in my parking space. Should i report them?

feebee

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum. Basically there has been a car parked in one of my (marked) parking spaces for a week now. It's pretty much a junker of a yoke, and seems to have just been left there (havent seen anyone coming or going in the week its been there).

Phoned the gardai to see if i am entitled to ring and have it clamped/towed, but apparently because its not stolen/has valid number plates all they can do is call out to the owner and ask them to move it.

Am a bit recluctant to do this as i'm living there on my own, and i assume the owner will know it's me who called the gardai.... don't want to start causing any agro for myself. Also, feel a bit petty calling the gardai on them... then again it's my space and clearly marked so i'm well within my rights.
Any advice?

ETA i asked the gardai for the owners address so i could call in myself and ask them to move it but they can't give it out.

If it has an insurance disc, call the insurer & ask them to notify the owner that it will be clamped & towed. If the tax is up, ring the gardai back... they'll only act if it's not taxed

Assuming that the space is in the car park of an apartment building then you need to contact the management company about this. They may have a contact with a clamping company though if this is the case there should be signs displayed saying that clamping is in operation. Since its a private car park the guards have no role here unless the car is stolen. If there is no clamping then you should at least be able to get the management company to put stickers on the car.

Isnt this trespass ?

Unscrew the number plates and the gardai will have to move it straight away.

My guess is the car has been dumped and noone will jump out from behind a bush and stop you taking the number plates off.

Basically there has been a car parked in one of my (marked) parking spaces for a week now.

The Guards will have no interest in an out of date tax, or missing number plates, if the car is on private property. The OP sounds as if the car is on private property.

Or in the words of our local Garda on abandoned cars on private property:
"Removed the number plates, push it out onto a public road and ring up the local Co Co complaining about it. It will be gone in 2 or 3 days."

Why would the local authority remove abandoned vehicles from private property?

I was referring to your post above which, by my reading, implied that the LA might remove an abandoned vehicle from private property.

"Removed the number plates, push it out onto a public road and ring up the local Co Co complaining about it. It will be gone in 2 or 3 days."
I believe Towger was referring to the section in bold.

- This seems like terrible advice to come from a Garda.

"Remove the number plates, push it out onto a public road and ring up the local Co Co complaining about it. It will be gone in 2 or 3 days."

Crazy advice. You could get done yourself for dumping the car if anyone saw you doing this. And rightly so in my opinion...

Ring your LA, they will (fingal do) have a section for dealing
with abandoned cars. I had reason to call them last
year, they told me they'd post a letter to the owner
(you need to give them the reg plate) and if there
wasn't a response within 3 weeks they'd take the car
and dump it - worked like a charm :)

[broken link removed]

If you get the number plate i.e 97 D or 97 C, etc and send it to the relevant motor taxion authority for that county giving the reason that you need to know the owners name and address for them to remove the car then the authority will give you the name and address details for a charge of, I think €6

I missed the "push into the public road" bit of that crazy advice.

I too have heard gardai giving that advice...it is crazy, but only as crazy as being unable to have a car moved from your own designated parking space.

How would you push a car with the handbrake on? - Would you have to bust into the car first?

Maybe you could drag it away with another car.

Thanks everyone.

Been back to Gardai who told me to contact Fingal coco. They won't do anything as the car is on private property. Management company are going to put a sticker on the car and try and get the owners address to tell them to move it.... but since they havent been near the car in over a week not much help!

Checked last night and no tax, insurance or NCT on the car, so looks like its just been dumped and left. Am :mad: to say the least!

Is there any legal difference between illegal dumping of rubbish on your land and dumping a unwanted car ?

My advice is take the number plates off then call the guards who will then remove it.

Back