car check

kiwijbob

does any know if Bernard Kelly is still on the go with
Carcheck, I was on the site last year and now it puts
me straight through to motorcheck who only provide
information on cars. I need a pre purchase inspection,
anyone else provide the service where the inspector
will visit the car i.e. not carsireland?

cheers ;)

Yes still on the go.

Some weird kind of domain hijacking (or something!?) going on. I think their new site should be up soon.

You can still reach Bernard at 1850 909090.

Try this handy little site:

It may not be what you're after gives the number of owners on the car and other intersting information.

Try this handy little site:

It may not be what you're after gives the number of owners on the car and other intersting information.

Thats a very interesting site. I just ran a check on a car I almost bought at the weekend and it says that it had 3 owners, garage is claiming only 2 owners.

Thats a very interesting site. I just ran a check on a car I almost bought at the weekend and it says that it had 3 owners, garage is claiming only 2 owners.

Sometimes what happens here is that the car is registered to the garage for a few weeks/months as a demo car - or maybe it just doesn't sell for a while. Officially, the garage is counted as another 'owner' - although they don't usually include this to you in their list of owners.

I thought that as well but last car I bought was out of garage and I checked this out also and amount of owners added up and didnt include the garage.

I thought that as well but last car I bought was out of garage and I checked this out also and amount of owners added up and didnt include the garage.

Not sure about that one - maybe if the car was only just traded in and was with the garage for only a day or something it never got officially registered to the garage? I'd guess to avoid unnecessary paperwork garages maybe hold off on doing anything for a week or so in case the car moves quickly - only a guess though.

Anyway, for anything relating to your new car purchase, I'd strongly recommend Bernard Kelly (above) for a very thorough mechanical and history check (no connection BTW).

Have used him a number of times - excellent service.

Not sure about that one - maybe if the car was only just traded in and was with the garage for only a day or something it never got officially registered to the garage? I'd guess to avoid unnecessary paperwork garages maybe hold off on doing anything for a week or so in case the car moves quickly - only a guess though.

Anyway, for anything relating to your new car purchase, I'd strongly recommend Bernard Kelly (above) for a very thorough mechanical and history check (no connection BTW).

Have used him a number of times - excellent service.

Cheers for that. Have v reliable mechanic though, its the dealers that are a prob, dont want to give proper warranties .

Cheers for that. Have v reliable mechanic though, its the dealers that are a prob, dont want to give proper warranties .

Yeah, think you were saying this on another post (or maybe it was someone else). Sounds a little strange to me.

I always buy 2nd hand and have never been offered anything less than 1 year warranty - in fact on a couple of occasions I've gone a week or two over the year and the garage still repaired minor things (e.g. horn not working) free of charge.

What are the dealers offering you? Are the cars you are looking at more than 7 years old maybe? (sometimes decent warranties are difficult to get on cars this age).

foxylady, I just typed a few reg's in to that site, maybe not 100%.
It does ask you to "choose" how many owners!

Checked a '98 car came up with 5 owners, It's my mothers and she is the second owner since '01. Says so on tax book.

'05 car that a was bought last November is comming up with 1 owner. He's the second owner.

Maybe it's guessing as to the age of the veh to how many owners it's had, so I wouldn't condem the dealer with out asking
to see the tax book of the car etc.

While a car is in a garage unless it's a demo, the garage will not go on the Tax book as an owner. The car is supposed to be off the road.
If the garage is down as an owner it may have taxed the car for a few months and driven it for a while but then it is down as an owner.

yes - glad I read the other posts - averted a slight heart attack. Mrs Goggin just got a new (second hand) car with one owner. This site says there are 4 previous owners. Regular heartbeat has now resumed.

Yeah, think you were saying this on another post (or maybe it was someone else). Sounds a little strange to me.

I always buy 2nd hand and have never been offered anything less than 1 year warranty - in fact on a couple of occasions I've gone a week or two over the year and the garage still repaired minor things (e.g. horn not working) free of charge.

What are the dealers offering you? Are the cars you are looking at more than 7 years old maybe? (sometimes decent warranties are difficult to get on cars this age).

Oldest Car I have been looking at is 02 which is hardly ancient to be fair, and most garages I have contacted are saying they only give gearbox and engine warranty and that I wont get a full warranty anywhere oh and they are only offering 3 months as well on car this age.

wont get a full warranty anywhere

Absolute rubbish. My advice would be to go outside Dublin - if you buy a car with a good reliability rep it will be very unlikely that you will have to go back to the dealer within the year anyway. From outside of warranty onwards - just use your local mechanic.

Outside of Dublin you will probably pay less and will almost certainly get your 1 year warranty on any 02 car.

Absolute rubbish. My advice would be to go outside Dublin - if you buy a car with a good reliability rep it will be very unlikely that you will have to go back to the dealer within the year anyway. From outside of warranty onwards - just use your local mechanic.

Outside of Dublin you will probably pay less and will almost certainly get your 1 year warranty on any 02 car.

I agree when u say that its rubbish but that is the line I am being fed from several dealers and I would be lucky to get a 6mth warranty never mind a year, its amazing what they can get away with.

foxylady, I just typed a few reg's in to that site, maybe not 100%.
It does ask you to "choose" how many owners!

It is not solely a vehicle data information website. It is for entering cars onto the Merlin Car Auctions website, explaining why it gives you the option to fill in missing information. It does give good clues to a car's history though. It is most likely telling the truth about the number of owners the car has had and when the tax and NCT expire. When I typed in my car registration everything that came up was correct to my knowledge.

Jeff 24, I understand that, but foxylady was taking the site that it was bible and thought the garage was pulling the wool over her eyes as they said a car she looked at had fewer owners that the web site and hence was now not going to buy from the dealer.

On a car that 5 years old ('02) how much warranty do you expect?
If you got a warranty for 3 or 6 months that would cover anything that could go wrong with Engine/Gearbox. But when people come back with shocks/clutch/ bushings etc that have signs of wear as the car is 5 years old. Then they "go" and require replacing. How does a garage make a profit?

Does it get a 5 year old car, replace everything and then put a price way out of line with the market and never sell it but put a full years warranty on it and use this as it's sell point?

Or does it service the car, replace the parts the car requires now and offer a 3 month warranty and if it comes back in that time, fix it. At that we may or may not make a profit.

Jeff 24, I understand that, but foxylady was taking the site that it was bible and thought the garage was pulling the wool over her eyes as they said a car she looked at had fewer owners that the web site and hence was now not going to buy from the dealer.

If you got a warranty for 3 or 6 months that would cover anything that could go wrong with Engine/Gearbox. But when people come back with shocks/clutch/ bushings etc that have signs of wear as the car is 5 years old. Then they "go" and require replacing. How does a garage make a profit?

Does it get a 5 year old car, replace everything and then put a price way out of line with the market and never sell it but put a full years warranty on it and use this as it's sell point?

Or does it service the car, replace the parts the car requires now and offer a 3 month warranty and if it comes back in that time, fix it. At that we may or may not make a profit.

I think you said before that you were in a garage Mr2 - are you saying that you don't generally give any more than 3 or 6 month warranty on a 5 year old car?

Is this a Dublin thing or something?
I've bought a number of 5 year old cars (all in 'the country') and have never been offered anything less than 1 year warranty.

I was not taking this as bible but merely saying that it was very interesting.

Are you trying to tell me that a garage would not try to pull the wool over my eyes???

As for what warranty would I expect, I would expect a full warranty inlcuding parts and labour and if a garage cant give this then they are saying that they are not prepared to stand over what they are selling. Are they then saying that the car is not roadworthy??

Caveat, generally speaking, we would not have a car on our forecourt (most main dealers at the moment) older that 4 years. As a result we do give a warranty of 1 year on our cars but they will not usually have more than 60,000 miles/100,000 kms on the clock. We are not a Dublin dealer.
If as you say you have bought a number of 5 year old cars with a warranty they are not SIMI approved franchise dealers as we are. I'd assume they are multi-dealers with out franchise.

foxylady, SIMI, franchise dealer would not intentionally "pull the wool over your eyes". Many other dealers would.
We would always sell a car that is roadworthy at the time of selling but after that, we would always do our best with a customer that is our own.

Back