car check

If as you say you have bought a number of 5 year old cars with a warranty they are not SIMI approved franchise dealers as we are. I'd assume they are multi-dealers with out franchise.

Nope. All franchised dealers.

If you go onto Carzone, check dealers in the 26 counties. Check SIMI approved main dealers used stock and in the general you will see most cars are from '03 on. Any older ones usually have small milage or are odd cars. Ring the dealer and ask what sort of warranty you get.

You won't get many 12 month bumper to bumper warranties on those cars.

If you go onto Carzone, check dealers in the 26 counties. Check SIMI approved main dealers used stock and in the general you will see most cars are from '03 on. Any older ones usually have small milage or are odd cars. Ring the dealer and ask what sort of warranty you get.

Garage I was trying to buy 02 car from was SIMI member and would not give full warranty for 6mths never mind a year. Meanwhile I have found a couple of delaers who give proper warranties but they are very scarce.

Not sure about that. I found a garage in dunshaughlin which offers 12 months warranty on cars that are even as old as 01 and 24 hr roadside assistance.

Not sure about that. I found a garage in dunshaughlin which offers 12 months warranty on cars that are even as old as 01 and 24 hr roadside assistance.

Well whaddya know? Go a few miles outside Dublin and look what happens...:D

Dunshaughlin, as in Meath?! Depends on where you live in Dublin but it's hardly a few miles for most. Think how much money you could have saved by not ringing all the garages in Dublin and surrounding counties to find one.

I never said you won't find a garage but I said you won't find many.

Is it a SIMI, franchise dealer?
Also is it a full warranty covering shocks, bushings etc?
24h Roadside assistance is a great thing if you do breakdown, however if it's just a noise in the rear of the car/ radio not working/ bulb gone etc you know you have to drive back to that dealer you bought the car from, your not actually "a breakdown case" and not entitled to "Breakdown Ass".

Best of luck with your new car.

Dunshaughlin, as in Meath?! Depends on where you live in Dublin but it's hardly a few miles for most. Think how much money you could have saved by not ringing all the garages in Dublin and surrounding counties to find one.

I never said you won't find a garage but I said you won't find many.

Is it a SIMI, franchise dealer?
Also is it a full warranty covering shocks, bushings etc?
24h Roadside assistance is a great thing if you do breakdown, however if it's just a noise in the rear of the car/ radio not working/ bulb gone etc you know you have to drive back to that dealer you bought the car from, your not actually "a breakdown case" and not entitled to "Breakdown Ass".

Best of luck with your new car.

Yes it is a full warranty and from what I can SIMI dealers in Dublin wont evn give full warranty so what good is that?

Ps Havent got the car yet

Dunshaughlin, as in Meath?! Depends on where you live in Dublin but it's hardly a few miles for most.

Poster lives in the Northside I believe. Dunshaughlin is only 20 miles from the airport. I would guess it's quicker, easier and less hassle to get there than it would be for some southside garages.

SIMI, franchise dealers are all over Ireland.

Please place the details and conditions of the warranty when you get them when you go see the car.

Caveat, I'd always buy close to home as would most people, where ever possible.

SIMI, franchise dealers are all over Ireland.

Please place the details and conditions of the warranty when you get them when you go see the car.

Caveat, I'd always buy close to home as would most people, where ever possible.

I would also like to buy close to home but cant find a reputable dealer to give me a proper warranty.

What in your eyes is a proper warranty? What do you want covered be specific?

A new car, comes with a full warranty, if any item is damaged by the customer/driver or the part is deemed wear and tear it's not covered. Some Manufactures differ slightly but most are the same. If you had a two year warranty, and a shock goes in the second year. It would not be covered on a new car (most times).

You wonder why? Because it's not a manufacturing fault that the shock went, it's the driving on the roads that does it, bumps, speed ramps, potholes etc.

When you buy a second hand car, most palces will give up to a year as far back as '03, incl shocks etc.

On an older car '02 or more we usually can't give that so we don't retail them. If we were to, we would only give 3/6 months. We would cover everything but it does not make sence for us as a garage to do it any longer.

We could sell you a new car right now, give you a 10 year warranty, and argue for you to show us a clear manufacturing fault on any problem you may have that has no outside influences. There is nothing you wouldn't pay for.

What in your eyes is a proper warranty? What do you want covered be specific?

A new car, comes with a full warranty, if any item is damaged by the customer/driver or the part is deemed wear and tear it's not covered. Some Manufactures differ slightly but most are the same. If you had a two year warranty, and a shock goes in the second year. It would not be covered on a new car (most times).

You wonder why? Because it's not a manufacturing fault that the shock went, it's the driving on the roads that does it, bumps, speed ramps, potholes etc.

When you buy a second hand car, most palces will give up to a year as far back as '03, incl shocks etc.

On an older car '02 or more we usually can't give that so we don't retail them. If we were to, we would only give 3/6 months. We would cover everything but it does not make sence for us as a garage to do it any longer.

We could sell you a new car right now, give you a 10 year warranty, and argue for you to show us a clear manufacturing fault on any problem you may have that has no outside influences. There is nothing you wouldn't pay for.

All I am looking for is at least a 6 month warranty that includes parts and labour and not these mickey mouse efforts of gearbox and engine only. i dont think its a lot to ask but the attitude of several dealers is that it is.

Back