cant cope

Status
Not open for further replies.
Change to a new cc and avail of the 0% balance transfer rate for six months. Use this time to either reduce your cc balance or eliminate one of your loans.

don't forget children's allowance. It sounds like you have more than one child. Any child under the age of 16 is entitled to 166 per month. Based on two children, that's 332 per month.
There's also the children's supplement of 1100 per annum or 275 per quarter.

Make sure you're claiming refuse charges and any medical expenses. Check out citizensinformation.ie for more information on this.

Have you and your husband investigated your tax credits? Is he claiming your tax entitlement? Again the citizensinformation.ie web site may be able to give more information.

Can you look after children during the day? That way no one else has to take your kids. How about w/end jobs where either you or your partner are available to look after the kids while the other works a part time job.
iv applied to H*lif*x for that special offer,fingers crossed.i would consider childminding definatly its just i live in a small town i wonder how id go about it?.id sell myself for moey @ this moment & time

Helen, have you looked into getting the Family Income Supplement (FIS) ?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/c...amilies-and-children/family_income_supplement

edit: sorry, didn't look to page 2 of thread where busymum already mentioned FIS

Helen, have you tried having a clean-out and doing a car boot sale? any few quid you could pick up would help.

there's always, catalogue selling like Avon, Kleeneze etc

what about offering an ironing service? I know someone who offered this serivce to an office (10 employees, mainly women) and she was kept busy with it.

How about the "rent a room scheme" where you let out a room in your house and the income is tax free. Some of the more experienced posters may be able to confirm if this scheme is still in existance.
Best Of Luck.

God yeah there very good ideas girls.I like the ironing idea im good at that & chilminding if i could get it too.iv one small single room i could let out but as i live in a small town with not alot of employment i duuno if any1 would want it,but id do it definatly.

I would recommend to everyone to keep a money diary for a month. you will be amazed at how the small things you buy add up.

I would also not hesitate to call MABS, these guys are experts and will know all about better rates etc.

200/230 euro every 2 months on ESB. This is very high. You must be leaving all of your appliances on standby and you must be using non-energy efficient bulbs and leaving them on a lot. Maybe you are leaving the immersion on alot. Dishwashing and using the dryer alot. Invest in energy saver bulbs and plug out all of your appliances when they are not in use. Use the line to dry your clothes when possible. We do not have a dryer or a dishwasher and our ESB is always less than 100 euro for 2 months. You should be able to cut your ESB bill to less than 130 relatively easily if you do the following.

1. Cut out the dishwasher and drier.
2. Plug things out when on standby, phone chargers, laptops, tv, playstations etc.
3. Invest in energy saver bulbs especially for the locations you use the most.

Hope this helps you reduce your ESB bills.

Helens,

please don't despair - that is the main thing !!!!!!!

There were important points made on this thread earlier -

1. The world still turns AND
2. Its just money Helens

THINGS WILL WORK OUT

The main issue is the credit card and switching to the 0% option is a fantastic solution. I recommended it to a friend of mine who was in a similar situation a while ago and it provided the breathing space he needed to get back on track

Stay on line and any help we will gladly give

Helens,
Can you give details on how much is outstanding on the bank loan and the GE finance loan?

Hi Helens,

Your phone and ESB are expensive although if you are at home all day with young children, the heating needs to be on.

Could you cut out the phone and download Skype to make cheap calls?

Could you put a notice in local schools and shops offering childminding? Are you near enough to the local schools to offer after school care and do school runs without a car?

Definitely change credit card providers to avail of the zero interest rate. If for any reason you can't, it is worth ringing your current provider and asking them if they can give you a better rate. You'd be surprised how powerful one phonecall can be if they think you are going to switch.

This is a link you might find useful http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=62751

Please contact MABS in the morning and things won't seem so bad when you have talked it through with someone.

Best of luck.

Helens,

My friend was in the same position as you few years ago. She was so worried, anxious, depressed. She wouldnt open any letters or bills. Her back was against the wall and she was so scared.

She went to MABS, they contacted all her creditors on her behalf. They helped organise for her to open a special credit union account to sort out the bills.

They worked out her budget with her.

She then had to lodge a certain amount into the credit union account every week. The bills were all then paid using this account.

Before she knew it, she had savings in the credit union.

She got so used to putting in her amount every week and bit by bit the bills disappeared and she kept going to the credit union. Some bills were paid before others so hence the savings kicked in.

It is only money and it can be sorted. It is very hard but there is help and MABS are the best.

Take care, you will sort this.

thanks gor all the replies.
Tmccar-we have anoutstanding mortgage of 140,000
personal loan outstanding 16,500 gemoney 4,500 outstanding and about 12,000 on cc

Depending on where you live, there could be merit in making a regular trip to the North to stock up on baby essentials (nappies etc) as they are significantly cheaper up there

Also take a long hard look at your tax situation and ensure you are claiming for everything you are entitled to

iv actually had a run in with the tax office a few weeks ago.
Basicly my husband was unemployed for 9 months this year and claiming his stamps(jobseekers)
So when he started his new job his new employer rang tax office to get his tax allowence and they said hang on his jobseekers was taxable so now theretaking €70 extra off us a week to get it back.
Like it never rains but it pours
But he is claiming for me & a home cares allow.But his credits have been reduced to 32000 because of jobseekers

Conatcting MABS will not affect credit rating and TBH, the last thing you need is another loan so that isn't relevant.

Last edited:
iv actually had a run in with the tax office a few weeks ago.
Basicly my husband was unemployed for 9 months this year and claiming his stamps(jobseekers)
So when he started his new job his new employer rang tax office to get his tax allowence and they said hang on his jobseekers was taxable so now theretaking €70 extra off us a week to get it back.
Like it never rains but it pours
But he is claiming for me & a home cares allow.But his credits have been reduced to 32000 because of jobseekers

will this be sorted out by next tax year so that his nett income increases?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back