Cannot acces a particular website from my Laptop - but I can from another computer

BIK30

Hi - Can someone please advise?

I cannot access a particualr website from my laptop, however when I connected my laptop to another ISP I could access the website, I have checked my internet security settings and I cannot see why I cannot access the particular site? My ISP says its my laptop thats at fault?

Any advice appreciated.

Re: Cannot acces a particular website from my Laptop - but I can from another compute

Can you access any website from your laptop connectd to your ISP? What error message are you getting from this particular website? Is it "dodgy" content?

Re: Cannot acces a particular website from my Laptop - but I can from another compute

No not at all, its an irish website thats very popular. My internet connection works perfectly, I can access all other sites no problem.

The message I am getting is:

Network Error (tcp_error)

A communication error occurred: "Operation timed out" The Web Server may be down, too busy, or experiencing other problems preventing it from responding to requests. You may wish to try again at a later time.
For assistance, contact your network support team.

Some ISP's like NTL for example route differently, I find sometimes I can't hit Irish sites, or they are very slow, but UK sites are ok. Maybe that is it?

If you can hit other websites then I highly doubt its your laptop as your internet is configured correctly. I would get back onto your ISP and complain....

are you running a firewall on your laptop or html or peer blocker? Stop everything except the browser and see if its that. Try different browsers on the same client.

Car - how exactly to I do the above? Thanks

go to control panel and security and stop everything. then open task manager and stop all non essential processes. If you try to stop an essential one then taskman wont let you stop it.

once everythings stopped, try the site again. also try from IE and firefox.

Perhaps someone has blocked this site at the router?

I still cannot access the site. I have the site listed as a trusted site.

I can access all other sites, has anyone any other suggestions as to what I can try in order to access the site.

thanks!

can you ping the site? Open a dos prompt (start > run> cmd) and see do you get a reply. Like so for google.

Code:
C:\Program Files\PuTTY>ping www.google.ie

Pinging www.l.google.com [216.239.59.99] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 216.239.59.99: bytes=32 time=5ms TTL=245
Reply from 216.239.59.99: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=245
If you cant find it you should get something like this

Code:
C:\Program Files\PuTTY>ping www.whycantIgetaping.com
Ping request could not find host www.whycantIgetaping.com. Please check the name
 and try again.

C:\Program Files\PuTTY>

Thanks Car - can you please let me know, what do I enter??
When I do start, run, cmd, I get C:\Users\User...................what do I put here?

as per the code entries, ping is a windows command that simply lets you know if you can see an address, an address either being the network address or the dom name, so out in the www we can see 216.239.59.99 is also known as google.ie by typing "ping www.google.ie". To see the results of the ping, you'll need a dos window open.
See the code entries above for example.

Good morning all,

I seem to be having a few problems with my internet. I cannot access certain webpages that I would normally view everyday, I ran the cmd, and pinged the address, one came up "request timed out", however another came up saying "reply received from", yet when I tried to go onto this site, I get the " page cannot be displayed" message. I tried using my business partners computer and she can access these sites. These are trusted sites, just seems strange.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Hizzy

for the site that you can ping, try a different browser or even type the address that you got when you pinged it. example, for google.ie you can put 216.239.59.99 into the address bar.

What security software are ye running?

AV
Firewall
Antispyware

How do you connect to the web. Through a router, or a network/server?

Hi

The security software that I use is AVG, as for connecting to the web, I use a router.

After pinging the address, I am now getting replies for any address I type in, including Packets sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0, yet when I try it on the internet, I keep getting the same message "the page cannot be displayed"

Regards

Hizzy

care to give us one of the addresses? might be able to make a judgement on whether not it could be identified by a local firewall as a phishing site and be blocked. which is what Im thinking anyway, Ive seen more and more sites in last few weeks getting reported as false negatives.

I think www.irishtimes.com was reported last week. With other posts as well, its possible its something similar

as hinted above and posted earlier, shut down all antivirus SW and firewalls to see if it opens, it also may be the browser itself so try and lower the security level in the browser to minimum to see if that helps.

No not at all, its an irish website thats very popular. My internet connection works perfectly, I can access all other sites no problem.

The message I am getting is:

Network Error (tcp_error)

A communication error occurred: "Operation timed out" The Web Server may be down, too busy, or experiencing other problems preventing it from responding to requests. You may wish to try again at a later time.
For assistance, contact your network support team.

Can I ask, are you using three broadband? I'm having the very same problems, have rang them at least 10times now and have been told each time that the matter is being escalated to "senior techs" and it will be fixed. That's well over a week now and my AVG wont update either.

Hi Car

Yeh no problem giving you the websites, , www.cro.ie, www.solocheck.ie, however, I can access my email via eircom.net, and I can obviously access this site. Will try what you said re the anti virus sw and see if I can access them.

Thanks car

Regards

Hizzy

Back