Can the preaching stop please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Money is always for spending - what other purpose does it have?

Whether and to what extent it is beneficial or appropriate to defer consumption is another matter.
Goodness gracious money is not for spending. You only spend it if you have to. Having said that as I've gotten older my siblings tell me I've become a lot better at spending it. :confused:

Early in life is the time to make it and mind it. And bringing it with you I don't intend to do.

You post on a forum like this and you get a reaction that is within reason and is the opinion of somebody of that day and that time. You've got to respect the other person's right to opinion provided it is not abusive or insulting. Otherwise, don't post.

@Leper

I assume your post was addressed to me.

FWIW, I completely and utterly respect every poster's right to express their opinion and I really have no idea what led you to think otherwise.

I assume you understood that my last post was intended to be somewhat humorous given the topic under discussion. Did the emoji not give it away? Perhaps not:(.

@Leper

I assume your post was addressed to me.

FWIW, I completely and utterly respect every poster's right to express their opinion and I really have no idea what led you to think otherwise.

I assume you understood that my last post was intended to be somewhat humorous given the topic under discussion. Did the emoji not give it away? Perhaps not:(.

No Sarenco, my post was not addressed to you and I know you respect other peoples' opinions and I admire any kind of good humour.
Regards
Lep

Irony and satire can be difficult to read on the net. I didn't see the post on the 'Mortgage after Bankruptcy' or the Audi A5 situations, but I did see the thread from the poster that seemed to be looking to take advantage of a banking error and I thought that the responses to that poster were, frankly, largely fair.

A post asking for advice I recently put up myself received one useful response, and three not particularly useful ones (the last of which I reported, as the poster clearly did not even trouble to read my OP, but decided to have their say anyway). I think the latter is one of the dangers of online forums where anyone can offer advice in an anonymous fashion, so there is no way to vouch for their credentials, expertise, qualifications, and so on - although I can understand why some prefer to post anonymously on internet forums (strange to relate, I don't play lead guitar for a well-known rock band :D) .

A post asking for advice I recently put up myself received one useful response, and three not particularly useful ones (the last of which I reported, as the poster clearly did not even trouble to read my OP, but decided to have their say anyway).

Here is the question to which the Edge refers. Readers can make up their own minds about the appropriateness or otherwise of the answers.

Can medical expenses tax relief be backdated?

Brendan,

I take it that you ignored the complaint - you did good! Monbretia was just being helpful.

Hi Edge

Why did you report Monbretia's post?

I'd consider the reporting of the post more serious (in that it was a waste of moderators' time) than Monbretia's post which was clearly an innocent attempt to be helpful.

Gordon

You ask for advice. You get advice. You don't like the advice. If you can't hack the answer, don't ask the question.

I have to say I'm disappointed you felt so bothered by my post, I was just trying to be helpful and explain the reason behind why it wouldn't work in light of the previous replies on your original post which of course I read.

It's extraordinary that he reported it. You can't win on here is the moral of this thread.

the reason i thought you were trolling was because you mixed up the make and models of the cars so much and asked questions that related to one model and pointed out that different information was provided related to another one. I genuinely thought your were trolling.

You seemed to want to compare buying a new car to running an old one, which is a different argument, and also you cant see why anyone would spend so much on a car when people have different interests and different things that they enjoy in life.

. Also i understood what i was getting into so having someone that a) didnt understand the general premise and b) has no interest in cars give me a hard time about it was just annoying.

Morning Blackrock, I'd just like to clarify something. I absolutely know nothing about cars. I was not trolling you though. I was genuintely trying to work out the PCP deal and if you'd have let me continue I getting to the idea that they might be a good deal because of the low interest rate. In order to do that I wanted the details of the two cars.

What I wanted to do was figure out the difference in cost between buying a car on PCP and borrowing from a bank. I had no interest in comparing the cost of running an old car versus a new one.

The only reason I wanted to know the model was the hope that someone else who know about cars would tell us if the price you paid was the same as if one walked in off the street with cash.

I also wanted to figure out if people were buying a more expensive care, because of the PCP than they would buy if they paid cash. And yes I did jibe you a bit about your love of cars. Boys and their toys. In relation to watches, I was fascinated to learn a month or so ago on here about a poster who seemingly is making money out of investing in them which I'd never thought possible.

In relation to watches, I was fascinated to learn a month or so ago on here about a poster who seemingly is making money out of investing in them which I'd never thought possible.

there can be a lot of money in them, vintage watches (rolexes in particular) of a certain type go for insane money. not for the faint hearted however.

Regarding the cost of buying on PCP versus borrowing from a bank, of course it will be cheaper, PCP interest rates generally go from 0 to 3%, personal loans are more like 8%

Pinkie.

I would be a bit more chilled about perceiving patronising/attacking comments .
We all come at things from different doors and most times the posters are helpful.
It continues to amaze me the naivety of some posts ,( my pet hate for a long time, was the way people continued to expect good service from Banks , only now have the posts got more realistic) .
It just shows we should consider all posts as being genuine, even if (stupid) and try to respond in a helpful vein and try not to respond to our perception of the post.
On balance I think AAM are fair.

I just can't believe you haven't been pulled up for your systematic abuse of punctuation marks and parentheses Gerry...! :p

In all seriousness though I think the simple answer to the OP is that no, the preaching won't stop - it's part of the price to pay for getting a better standard of more informed response that sometimes the relative experts will be a bit condescending to the naive man/woman on the street...

The tone is set from the top, and since Brendan and the mods are no strangers to indulging in a bit of it themselves, it's inevitable that it's part of the culture of the site.

All,
I must admit it seems like you all have had a great time taking chunks out of each other while I was busy coughing my lungs up for the last week!

I have to say that I can see both sides of this if I am being honest.

1. This is a financial site, and the vast majority of people who post regularly are very financially savvy. With that comes a level of astonishment at certain behaviours or lack of basic financial knowledge. I am sure everyone has hear about people who do not understand what percentages mean, or why would I want to change x - sure I am fine the way I am.
When someone posts on a financial site, they are effectively asking for free advice. Any OP (myself included) needs to take the good with the bad with the ugly, and work out based on the various replies what is best for them. The vast majority of people posting here do not share full financial details anyway. There is no such thing as a free lunch - internet forums are no different, meaning its part of the course.

2. This is a financial site, and there are a lot of people in Ireland who have very strange relationships with money. As a nation we do not appear to be very financially savvy, and we seem to think that we have a right to be exempt from personal financial responsibility. When things get tricky, as a nation we put our head in the sand and hope they will go away until its normally too late (or close to it).
Those who are slightly more 'on the ball' come on here asking for advice - most don't want to hear what they are going to be told. Lots and lots I imagine look and never even post on here.
Being 'a bit preachy' means these people, by enlarge will no longer be willing to engage on here, and they are the ones probably in most need of financial advice.

The question comes down to who is the site aimed at - those who are financially literate and wanting detailed advice, or those who are financially naive and needing all the basic financial support they can get?

That said, it is very easy to under appreciate all the time regular posters give on here for free, and makes the site what it is for a lot of people, including myself. If the price to pay for this is a little cheekiness, then from my point of view so be it !

Last edited:
This thread illustrates the ugly preachy side to AAM pretty well:

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/thread...n-from-the-credit-union-after-joining.202303/

The forum is a Credit Union one, and the thread is specifically a query about whether / how OP can obtain a loan in a quick turnaround.

The majority of respondents, however, decided that the OP must be chastised over his evidently poor money management, which is completely off-topic in relation to the question posed. There's already plenty of scope to chastise him on his other thread, about that topic, but people couldn't resist dragging it into this thread too...

I'm one of the preachers on that thread. The OP on that thread, like others, wants the easy option financially and is willing the kick the consequences down the road.

A lot of people don't seem to want to save for anything anymore. Get it on the never never and it will be grand.

People come on AAM looking for financial advice - they should expect (and accept) a little bit of preaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back