Can my Medical Card move to a New Doctor....Easily?

SoylentGreen

I am due to get a medical or GP visit card shortly. My existing doctor has made a few "mistakes" in recent times, so I was thinking of moving to a new practice, nearer to my home shortly.

A couple of questions if I may. Are doctors happy to take on new patients under the scheme? If I stick with my current doctor and have the medical card linked to him and then decide to move to a new doctor, is it easy to have the medical card moved to the new doctor?

Before doing anything. Make sure the new GP is taking new patients (and medical patients) and will take you on. Very few are taking on any new patients. Most are over subscribed.

See this previous discussion some of which might be of interest.

Perhaps your doctor is under immense pressure because of workload due to Covid so sitting it out might be worthwhile as you have built up a relationship with them.

If you do decide to move the Citizens' Information site gives this advice as discussed in that other thread:

Selecting a doctor

If you apply online, the doctor you select will be contacted to accept you as a medical card patient.

If you apply using the printed application form, you can call the GP that you have chosen from the list of participating doctors. Usually, the GP you select must be within 7 miles of where you live. If the GP agrees to accept you as a patient for medical card GP services, you can send them the form to sign. If you are refused by 3 GPs, state this on your application, including details of the doctors, and the HSE will assign a doctor to you.

Thanks for the responses.

Just another question to add to the mix. I will be 70, my wife will be 69....I understand that she will automatically qualify for a medical card as well.
She has her own doctor.....I assume that she can stay with her own doctor? Does she have to go through the same procedures as well as myself....contact her own doctor.....apply separately online etc?

She has her own doctor.....I assume that she can stay with her own doctor?

My understanding is your current Doctor is required to still accept you as a patient when you qualify for a Medical card
When I gave up work first I was entitled to a Medical Card, I mentioned it to him during the next visit and he changed me over on his system
Then when I lost my entitlement he changed me back to a full paying patient but this time he had a small smile on his face

Back