I can't find a GP to register with. So I can't get mortgage protection!

horse7

So, I,ve called 30 GP practices today in the Dublin 15 area,none are accepting new patients, neither are they interested in supplying a refusal letter, which HSE require to assign a GP .

So, I,ve called 30 GP practices today in the Dublin 15 area,none are accepting new patients, neither are they interested in supplying a refusal letter, which HSE require to assign a GP .
Wow, that really is terrible. Could you sign up with someone outside the Dublin area?

Have to say I wouldn't have believed this at all until last summer

Had a huge falling out with my own Doctor of 20 years over his attitude and treatment of a medical issue that I have, high blood pressure
Contacted every Doctors surgery close to where I live in Blackrock, none were taking on any new patients even full paying ones
Closest I got was one Doctor agreed to see me but when I mentioned that I already had a Doctor they informed me that they were only taking on patients that don't already have a Doctor and I should go back to my current Doctor
Think I contacted eight to ten surgeries in the area

Now in fairness to my own Doctor, he did contact me by the end of the next day and apologised profusely to me for his attitude and lack of attention to me on my ongoing issue and asked if I would continue to see him until we got my issue under control and then if I wanted to he would help me move Doctors if I choose to

Glad to say issue now under control and am staying with my own Doctor as I genuinely believe he is a very good Doctor

I used to use this clinic in Dublin city centre when I couldn't get a timely appointment with my GP in Louth.

You can book appointments online. The centre doesn't (or didn't) accept medical cards.

I would try ringing the HSE and see what their view is on the surgeries refusing to provide the refusal letter or the fact that you have been turned down by so many. This attitude would appear to be totally out of order. A complaint about this practice naming the doctor that you wish to attend or the owner might move things along. I have heard of late that they are absolutely swamped because of Covid but at the same time people need to have a doctor and preferably not just a casual one.

IMHO it is very important to build up a relationship with your doctor rather than seeing possibly a different one each time you attend what appears to be a drop in clinic.

Its also best to have a local practice look after you especially in an emergency and its quite a distance from Dublin 15 to Rathmines if you were thinking of using them on a regular basis.

Presumably when you mention the HSE it is a medical card sign-up that you are trying to achieve? It is common practice for them to have a waiting list and just wondering did any of them offer to add your name to one?

That's the kind of red tape problem that would lead to me contacting my local TD to raise with the Minister for Health/HSE. In your case, 3 of the 4 TDs are government TDs, so take your pick!

*However, I note that the Citizens Information website states "If you are refused by 3 GPs, state this on your application, including details of the doctors, and the HSE will assign a doctor to you." No reference there to a letter of refusal?

*Link added by Moderator.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the kind of red tape problem that would lead to me contacting my local TD to raise with the Minister for Health/HSE. In your case, 3 of the 4 TDs are government TDs, so take your pick!

However, I note that the Citizens Information website states "If you are refused by 3 GPs, state this on your application, including details of the doctors, and the HSE will assign a doctor to you." No reference there to a letter of refusal?
Well done on finding that, should help quite a few people.
Was talking to a medical student today, he told me of the great wad of money GP's are getting for giving people a "shot", he smiled at me and his parting quip was, "Ah sure, aren't we all in this together? :p
Sure it's mighty, we must be the best country in Ireland.

*However, I note that the Citizens Information website states "If you are refused by 3 GPs, state this on your application, including details of the doctors, and the HSE will assign a doctor to you." No reference there to a letter of refusal?

*Link added by Moderator.
That bolded statement re refusals refers to medical card and GP visit applications only (as does the webpage from citizen's information). I'm not sure what role the HSE might have in finding a GP for a private patient? I've never seen anything on it.

The GP situation in South Louth is similar to the OP's experience.

That bolded statement re refusals refers to medical card and GP visit applications only (as does the webpage from citizen's information). I'm not sure what role the HSE might have in finding a GP for a private patient? I've never seen anything on it.

The GP situation in South Louth is similar to the OP's experience.

I was responding to the OP which refers to the "refusal letter, which (the) HSE require to assign a GP" - there's no reference there to a private GP!

Hello,

I agree with Sue Ellen about making a formal complaint. Don't allow people to just brush you off.

I'd also be getting on to the Royal College of Physicians, they might be able to get you into a local doctors practice.

Not having a GP shouldn't stop you getting Mortgage Protection. If you haven't got a GP, you haven't got a GP. If the life assurance company sees something in the answers to your medical questions that causes them concern, and they cannot get a medical report from a GP, they will send you for a medical to an independent doctor.

Did you ever have a GP? I'd have thought that mortgage protection providers are interested in your history from past GPs rather than a one-off assessment from a new GP.

Hi
Have you tried Beechview in Blanchardstown. They were definitely taking on new Dental patients in December and are pretty new so might take you on for GP.
01 598 9412 | 087 989 8670
email-icon-2x.png
[email protected]
link-icon-2x.png
www.beechview.ie
Joe

Not having a GP shouldn't stop you getting Mortgage Protection. If you haven't got a GP, you haven't got a GP.
I took out a policy in the last year, I haven't been to a doctor in many years, but the broker advised that if I didn't list one, cover would be refused, and I'd then have to declare a refusal on future applications that would result in more scrutiny.

I just made an appointment to a walk in clinic in Dublin 10 years ago. Since then I go back about once a year and I use that as my GP when asked. Maybe when I start mentioning medical card they may start putting some obstacles in my way.

I took out a policy in the last year, I haven't been to a doctor in many years, but the broker advised that if I didn't list one, cover would be refused, and I'd then have to declare a refusal on future applications that would result in more scrutiny.
What you were told is incorrect. There is even a box to tick on most forms if you don't have a GP.

The OP should proceed with the application and say they don't have a GP. If there are over the underwriting limits and further medical evidence is required, they will have to do a nurse medical or maybe a full one, it depends on the OPs age and the amount of cover they are looking for.

If, on the other hand, you have a medical history but claim not to have a doctor, that will set the alarm bells ringing.

But I wouldn't worry about it, loads of people don't have GPs, almost exclusively men.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

Reactions: Leo
I took out a life insurance policy 18 years ago. The insurance company nominates a doctor and I had to attend him. Was a fair distance away. I had a GP but they weren't interested.

What do you make of this article in the examiner,. https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40781697.html. (minister Stephen Donnelly quote) However, he said that the HSE cannot assist those without a medical card in obtaining GP care. Also another question my son has been with our family doctor since birth, he,s been living in Canada for a few years and has returned to live with his family (&2 under 6 children). When trying to access his old GP he,s been told they are not taking on any new patients and he has been archived. Is this something new or has he any rights to contest this?

Back