Can I refuse to have my ESB Meter replaced with a Smart Meter?

My parents want a smart meter to get the feed in tariff from their solar - as we will be exporting some in the summer. Energia refuse you any FIT if you don't have a smart meter and won't pay a nominal rate.

We're on a day/night meter at the moment and we do use the night rate to charge PV batteries. So I'm in no hurry to get rid of the current meter as you can't get day/night tariffs on the new ones. In fact ESB replaced the ancient one recently enough with a non-smart meter.
U still get FIT if no smart metre. It’s estimated based on size of system. I have battery and EV so v little going back to grid so estimate works best for me..
I’m waiting on my smart meter to be replaced with D/N meter. Will be big savings for me as can change the EV and battery on night rate. Hope to see little if any daytime electricity usage.

U still get FIT if no smart metre. It’s estimated based on size of system. I have battery and EV so v little going back to grid so estimate works best for me..
I’m waiting on my smart meter to be replaced with D/N meter. Will be big savings for me as can change the EV and battery on night rate. Hope to see little if any daytime electricity usage.
I have just got solar installed and don't have a smart meter as of yet. Did you have to apply to get the FIT or is it automatic once the paperwork is filled with networks Ireland by your installer.

I'm usually very slow to adapt to new things, I only started TV streaming in 2020 due to it been free with Eir BB
I still buy CD's rather then signing up to the like of "YouTube Music" but I do rip cd's I get from the library for listening on my phone
But I had no qualms or hesitations about letting the ESB install a smart meter, simply because it's not my meter it's theirs
If they want to update it it's their right to do so and as it's been rolled out nationwide why should I be the one "stick in the mud" because of my outdated thinking and beliefs

I stayed on the normal plan up until a month ago and had no issues with supply or usage, everything was working as normal but like everybody else the recent rise in energy prices made me re examine the idea of switching over to a smart rate and even though I feel the rates offered are designed to keep you paying the same as a normal rate or even a little more, I felt after a through examination of my usage I could save a few hundred euros worth of energy usage if we made a few simple changes to our usual daily routines

Though it's to early to say at this time if that is true I am for the most part very happy that I made the switch
I really like that I can see and analyse my usage from my computer through the Bord Gais account which has throwing up some interesting insights to our usage like how much it costs to leave our house on "standby" and now I fully understand why my father spent the whole of the seventies running around the house every night turning off every light and unplugging every electrical item in the house

But there is one thing I don't like about the smart meter and that is how and the way the information is supplied to you
It's always a day in arears, Saturdays usage is two days in arears and normally appears in my Bord Gais account sometime between 8am and 10am the following morning and can only be viewed through my BG account and not through an app on my phone
I would have thought in this day and age that I'd be able to view my usage in as close to real time through an app on my phone!!!!!

So for now I'm glad I made the switch and do wish that we had similar meters for our gas and water

I have just got solar installed and don't have a smart meter as of yet. Did you have to apply to get the FIT or is it automatic once the paperwork is filled with networks Ireland by your installer.
I got mine automatically . Think of you get the grant, it’s all linked.

I'm usually very slow to adapt to new things, I only started TV streaming in 2020 due to it been free with Eir BB
I still buy CD's rather then signing up to the like of "YouTube Music" but I do rip cd's I get from the library for listening on my phone
But I had no qualms or hesitations about letting the ESB install a smart meter, simply because it's not my meter it's theirs
If they want to update it it's their right to do so and as it's been rolled out nationwide why should I be the one "stick in the mud" because of my outdated thinking and beliefs

I stayed on the normal plan up until a month ago and had no issues with supply or usage, everything was working as normal but like everybody else the recent rise in energy prices made me re examine the idea of switching over to a smart rate and even though I feel the rates offered are designed to keep you paying the same as a normal rate or even a little more, I felt after a through examination of my usage I could save a few hundred euros worth of energy usage if we made a few simple changes to our usual daily routines

Though it's to early to say at this time if that is true I am for the most part very happy that I made the switch
I really like that I can see and analyse my usage from my computer through the Bord Gais account which has throwing up some interesting insights to our usage like how much it costs to leave our house on "standby" and now I fully understand why my father spent the whole of the seventies running around the house every night turning off every light and unplugging every electrical item in the house

But there is one thing I don't like about the smart meter and that is how and the way the information is supplied to you
It's always a day in arears, Saturdays usage is two days in arears and normally appears in my Bord Gais account sometime between 8am and 10am the following morning and can only be viewed through my BG account and not through an app on my phone
I would have thought in this day and age that I'd be able to view my usage in as close to real time through an app on my phone!!!!!

So for now I'm glad I made the switch and do wish that we had similar meters for our gas and water
I see my usage without the smart meter on the apps linked to PV system/car charger etc

So, I got two letters on the same day from the company.

I logged onto the website to make a booking and got this ridiculous almost blank page
1675243787663.png

Eventually I figured out that you click on ESB smart metering which brought me to this page:

1675243763098.png

I really am not prepared to waste time hanging on the phone to make an appointment.

So I won't bother. If they call to me, I might deal with them. But probably not.

Brendan

You can refuse however when the free roll out ends they will start to charge. Also worth pointing out , if an existing meter is faulty or needs replacing, it will only be replaced with a smart meter , there is no discretion in that regard.

I've seen examples of apartment blocks having meters changed and don't believe individual owners have any discretion , all old meters are being replaced.

I was one of the first people to get a smart meter, over three years ago. Admittedly mine was a museum piece. Low user, I chose not to avail of a smart tariff and glad I didn't. There is no obligation to change existing tariff if a smart meter installed, obviously these tariffs may suit some.

Have they said that they will charge to have "their" meters replaced?
By the end of 2024, every electricity meter will have been replaced by a next-generation smart meter. Find out more about the National Smart Metering Programme.
Costs

You will not need to pay for your smart meter. The cost of this national upgrade will be repaid over time, via electricity charges.

Have they said that they will charge to have "their" meters replaced?
do you think they'll be installing free smart meters forever , see clubmans response .I'd presume faulty meters will continue to be installed for free however, but equally I'd presume if someone hasn't taken up the offer and decides years down the road to get one, esb networks would be delighted to oblige for a fee .

do you think they'll be installing free smart meters forever , see clubmans response .I'd presume faulty meters will continue to be installed for free however, but equally I'd presume if someone hasn't taken up the offer and decides years down the road to get one, esb networks would be delighted to oblige for a fee .
But it's their meter that they are installing, you won't own it, and as Clubman pointed out that "You will not need to pay for your smart meter. The cost of this national upgrade will be repaid over time, via electricity charges".

There are a couple of statements in this thread that are contradictory and at odds with Electric Ireland's website. It seems to say that you can have a day/night rate as well as a couple of other plans. I have an EV which is making me think of opting for this. Is the 'smart meter' day/night offer less advantageous than the current non smart meter offer? Is it even possible to get the old offer now without going to the smart meter offer?

I would favour changing to a smart meter if it is not a worse deal.

Estimated bills can work both ways.
And, ultimately, you only pay for what you actually use.
Estimated bills should be based on historic usage. I get mostly estimated bills now despite my meter bing accessable 24/7 in a multi unit development. Getting bills with no relationship to usage should be illegal. Reading a meter for every billing period should be mandatory where access is available to do so.
Same happens with BG.

Any views on this, I will be making a decision soon?
My thinking is you're going to have to get a smart meter at some stage so why not now
Whether you move to smart billing will depend on how and when you use your electricity especially at the peak rate 5 to 7pm

My thinking is you're going to have to get a smart meter at some stage so why not now
Whether you move to smart billing will depend on how and when you use your electricity especially at the peak rate 5 to 7pm
Hmmm. We're probably just outside that peak time but I'm keen to charge the EV at a night rate, if that's available with the smart meter?

Old fogey here with ancient meter, ... that goes backwards when excess solar energy sent to the grid.:) We thought we needed a new meter to go with the solar and for whatever fancy day/night/peak rates that might come down the line. So far it makes sense to stay on old rate.

Hmmm. We're probably just outside that peak time but I'm keen to charge the EV at a night rate, if that's available with the smart meter?
I think most providers do a package for EV charging??
I know for sure Bord Gais do, they have four daily rates, Day, Night, Peak and EV which is between 2am and 5am
but there is a small catch the standing charge is 418.78 on the plan compared to 281.12 on the normal smart plan

The only way you will know if a smart plan will work for you is to monitor your usage over a week by reading the meter
Not just once at but at 5pm, 7pm, 11pm and again at 8am and then rinse and repeat for 7 days
And if possible keep a note of when you use your high energy use items to get an idea of what use
Like I know now my washing machine, dishwasher and oven all use 1 unit each every hour their on
Then you should be able to work out if you can make a smart plan work for you but it probably will require a few small changes in usage habits

Best smart EV plan is the electric Ireland boost plan. Still dearer than the energia d/n EV plan though. Plus you’re locked into smart tarrifs then.

Back