Can I refuse to have my ESB Meter replaced with a Smart Meter?

TrundleAlong

I got a letter today from the ESB saying that they would be replacing my existing electricity meter with a smart meter in the coming months. I don't want a smart meter in my home, I want to keep my existing meter. Can I refuse a smart meter?

For now they are allowing people to refuse, but ultimately, it's their meter not yours and the connection terms mean they can replace it at their discretion.

Having a smart meter does not mean you move on to a smart tariff, which is just as well as many of those are poor value for many.

I got a letter today from the ESB saying that they would be replacing my existing electricity meter with a smart meter in the coming months. I don't want a smart meter in my home, I want to keep my existing meter. Can I refuse a smart meter?

You can still have a smart meter but stay on a basics 24 hour flat rate unit plan

A guy from KN arrived at my door to replace the electricity meter with a smart meter. He asked me for my mobile phone number for GDPR reasons (?). I refused to give it to him and he said he needed it to make the appointment on their system. I told him that I don't give out my phone number to strangers just arriving at my door. He said he couldn't install the smart meter then.

<sarcasm>I was gutted.</sarcasm>

Just wondering why you wouldn’t want it replaced?

You can stay on the regular plans with a smart meter

I’m genuinely curious as to what the negatives might be.

If your existing meter broke or became dangerous or faulty would you allow it to be replaced then?

I do know of one person whose meter apparently goes backwards in summer months because of solar generation (I was told that directly by the home owner but not even sure if this is actually possible).

Presume it’s not with a smart meter so can understand reluctance in that scenario.

I have a relative whose regular meter is buried under stairs.

Trying to install smart meter would have involved much disruption to shelves and units so they obviously didn't want to go through with that and delined the smart meter install.

You can still have a smart meter but stay on a basics 24 hour flat rate unit plan

But what about grumpy old consumers who hate change and so-called 'smart' devices and who have a day/night meter? Can they keep their day/night plan if they agree to the installation on a smart meter?

Yes, the installation of a smart meter has no bearing on your supply contract type or duration

I note that in France the Electricity network provider (Enedis) is adding an additional charge to anyone who doesn't have a smart meter. Around 2 Euro a month from memory from Jan 2023. the reason quoted is the need to manually read the meter.

It's probably only a matter of time before we see something similar here.

I don't have a problem with a charge for reading your old-style meter or to put it another way, a discount if you have a smart meter

if you want to continue with an old meter, then you should have to shoulder the cost of having them read

I don't have a problem with a charge for reading your old-style meter or to put it another way, a discount if you have a smart meter

if you want to continue with an old meter, then you should have to shoulder the cost of having them read

I've been sending in my meter readings to the ESB (now EI) every month since the internet was invented. (Prior to that, I sent them in by postcard.)

I have never charged them for providing this service which I am happy to continue until I am cremated (hopefully after my death). I have, on occasion, even provided them with a photograph of my current meter readings, also without charge.

I have never charged them for providing this service which I am happy to continue until I am cremated (hopefully after my death).
Weird way of looking at it. Sending readings to EI has no bearing on the actual reading program which is the function of ESB Networks, not your chosen electricity supplier.

Weird way of looking at it. Sending readings to EI has no bearing on the actual reading program which is the function of ESB Networks, not your chosen electricity supplier.

Even more weirdly, those postcards and electronic readings that I send in always end up wherever they're supposed to - and appear on my subsequent electricity bills. (Must be some sort of voodoo, I suppose!)

Submitting meter readings will ensure accuracy of your bills and can help save you money. There are a few easy ways to submit a meter reading.

If you're unsure how to read your meter, please follow our meter reading step-by-step guide. Alternatively, check out the below videos.

Remember, the quickest way to submit a reading is by signing in to your online account. If you don't have an account, register now.

Yeah, you can submit meter readings directly to your supplier if you wish, that doesn't change the fact that the meter reading program is run exclusively by ESBN. They maintain the central records for all electricity customers.

Just wondering why you wouldn’t want it replaced?

You can stay on the regular plans with a smart meter

I’m genuinely curious as to what the negatives might be.

If your existing meter broke or became dangerous or faulty would you allow it to be replaced then?

I do know of one person whose meter apparently goes backwards in summer months because of solar generation (I was told that directly by the home owner but not even sure if this is actually possible).

Presume it’s not with a smart meter so can understand reluctance in that scenario.
Yes, a certain brand of the old meters goes backwards if you're generating a surplus. Tell your friend to hang onto it as long as they can!

I also send in my own and quite honestly only once in a blue moon do I see an actual human meter reader, they can't access the cabinet unless I am here to let them in so it's hardly a huge expense to them! I don't particularly want a smart meter for now anyway, if they insist then grand but no advantage to me right now. I actually monitor my own electricity readings constantly out of sheer curiosity and the new meters don't have the fraction of a unit bit on them, I'd prefer have that for now anyway.

Even more weirdly,
No, I just found it weird that you consider it almost an act of charity that you supply them readings without charge. They're more than happy to use ESBN readings or estimates as they do for the majority of customers.

Last edited:
Back