Can I get Rent a Room Relief if I am working and living somewhere else?

I am aware of cases where planning permission wasn't required for a granny-flat, so the above may not always be relevant.

What LA area was that? Most of them include 'This exemption does not apply to the subdivision of a house into flats or granny flats. Planning permission must be obtained for such works.' in their explanation of Exempted Development. Kildare go so far as to say any conversion that is not for use as part of the main house such as a granny flat/ self-contained unit does not fall under the exempted development conditions of the Planning & Development Regulations 2001

I suppose I've muddled this thread a bit by asking my question half way through it..
I wanted to know if I buy a house that has a self-contained unit attached (like a granny flat) would I be able to rent it out under the rent-a-room scheme.

Presumably the planning would have to be ok or I wouldn't be able to go ahead with the purchase. So planning in my case probably wouldn't be an issue right?

So, assuming the planning is ok.. and the self-contained unit is physically attached .. then I can actually rent it out to a student under the scheme?
Is that a correct read of it?

(do I need to apologise to the auctioneers.. oh gawd... :))

So, yes, you will be able to let an attached self-contained unit under the rent-a-room scheme as it satisfies Revenue's criteria.

Never assume with planning, an agent selling a property will tell you what they think you want to hear. You need to find out what conditions were made on the grant of planning. Your local authority will be able to give you that, or you may even find the planning details online. Your solicitor should be confirming all planning is in order before you proceed.

Ultimately, unless your LA are really on the ball, or someone reports you, they're unlikely to find out. If they do though, they can come after you with an enforcement order.

Ahh yeah, well I wouldn't be buying anything unless the solicitor tells me the planning is right for it.

And I'd now be asking specifically if the granny flat (or whatever) is compliant.

I would just like to say thanks very much to everyone for the advice I've received here.

Back