Can I get Rent a Room Relief if I am working and living somewhere else?

paddy328i

Can this be done? Renting apartment elsewhere and "keeping a room" in your home for the purposes of rent-a-room?
I'm in a similar situation to the OP.
Thanks

If you don't live there and are renting an apartment elsewhere then its no longer your primary residence and therefore does not qualify under the rent a room scheme.

I'm between 2 places TBH. Renting in Dublin but also living in my house. I feel my home is my PPR, duno how other people manage this situation.

If you don't live there and are renting an apartment elsewhere then its no longer your primary residence and therefore does not qualify under the rent a room scheme.

This isn't written down in stone and the correct treatment in a given case will depend on the individual circumstances of that case. Anyway it's all kinda moot in that this thread has been dead for 7 years.

Well, it isn't moot to me..

Ah:
4. Qualifying Residence
4.1 Sole or main residence The room or rooms must be in a residential premises that is situated in the State and that is occupied by an individual as his/her sole or main residence during the particular tax year. An individual may live in more than one residence but can only avail of rent-a-room relief in respect of his/her sole or main residence. In general, an individual’s sole or main residence is that individual’s home for the greater part of the time and where friends and correspondents would expect to find him/her. The individual does not have to own the residence and it could, for example, be occupied as rented accommodation.

hxxp://xxx.revenue.ie/en/about/foi/s16/income-tax-capital-gains-tax-corporation-tax/part-07/07-01-32.pdf?download=true

Apologies if I am opening an old thread but it seems to be the most appropriate to my question.
Looking at buying a house with a granny flat on it.
Does income from granny flat fall within the 12k rent a room scheme?
Or is it viewed as an apartment and subject to tax etc.?
Would have its own entrance.

Apologies I hadn't noticed that you'd posted a fresh question. Here's an old blog post that I wrote on this topic. https://mcgibney.ie/2010/06/25/ivor-callelys-principal-private-residence-dilemma/
Unrelated to the topic of this thread but is that a bunch of spam messages at the bottom of your blog post?!?

Apologies if I am opening an old thread but it seems to be the most appropriate to my question.
This wouldn't qualify for rent a room relief as a self contained unit.

Thanks for that.. its as I was expecting.
I figured the smartarse auctioneer was talkin through his This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language alright..

Its a pity that it does't qualify .. cos if I did buy it I wouldn't bother renting it out in that case.. wouldn't be worth the hassle...
So another student would have to go a begging.. silly really..

Along with Rob's comments above, the planning stipulations on such granny flats generally explicitly forbid letting them out and state they are only ever to be occupied by direct family members.

Well, somebody would want to pull these smarty auctioneers up on it then.
Cos they are all offering granny flats as selling points saying that there is potential for income.

Besides that tho the planning would want to move with the times... people are crying out for accommodation.. colleges are stuffing leaflets through letterboxes begging people to rent rooms.. its high time the granny flats were included in the 12k scheme..

Well, somebody would want to pull these smarty auctioneers up on it then.
Cos they are all offering granny flats as selling points saying that there is potential for income.

Well, presumably you can still rent it out, thus producing income (assuming no planning clause as above), you just can't get tax relief on that income.

Ehh.. didn't Leo just say its explicitly forbidden to rent them out??

Along with Rob's comments above, the planning stipulations on such granny flats generally explicitly forbid letting them out and state they are only ever to be occupied by direct family members.

There's some bogus advice in this thread unfortunately.

A granny-flat or self-contained unit is fine, once it's attached to the main house.

Revenue confirm same in the following document:

[broken link removed]

For clarity, here's the Dublin City Condition (Code C510) that is attached to all grants of permission for granny flats, or ancillary family accommodation as they are now calling them:

The proposed ancillary family accommodation shall be incidental to the enjoyment of the principal dwelling on site. It shall not be separated from the principal dwelling by lease or sale. Once the accommodation is no longer required for ancillary accommodation purposes, it shall revert back to being part of the original family house. Reason: In the interests of the proper planning and development of the area.

For clarity, here's the Dublin City Condition (Code C510) that is attached to all grants of permission for granny flats, or ancillary family accommodation as they are now calling them:

To the extent that they wont wear a separate entrance anymore

Thanks Gordon Geko...
From the document you supplied the link to:

4.2 Self-contained unit
It is not possible to let an entire residence because the room or rooms that are let must form part of the residence and the residence must be occupied by the individual receiving the rent as his/her sole or main residence. The room or rooms can comprise a self-contained unit within the residence such as a basement flat or a converted garage attached to the residence. However, a self-contained unit that is adjacent to the residence but not actually attached to it cannot qualify for the relief.

So, maybe I'm wrong.. but a small self contained thing .. like what I'd call a granny flat .. does appear to fall under the rent-a-room scheme.. as long as it is attached to the residence...

I suppose there might be planning argument tho.. probably about population density or something...

I am aware of cases where planning permission wasn't required for a granny-flat, so the above may not always be relevant.

Back