Can bullying "tenants" claim adverse possession on my grand uncle's 1ac garden?

Thanks a million I will get him straight down to a solicitor and get it sorted once and for all.

Whatever course of action you pursue, your uncle will suffer. So, before you do anything, make provisions to protect him - he needs an alarm in his house and a personal alarm.Going on local radio is not a bad idea - these people need to know that the finger of suspicion will point at them if anything should happen to your uncle.

Take down the gates and the fences they put up, let out the horses.
Spray the whole place with Roundup and let them take your uncle to court. I'll bet they won't.

I would agree with Bluebells post. Your uncle will suffer. We had a similar situation many years ago (neighbour squatting on an outfarm a mile away) and it became a war of attrition, with us removing his cattle only to have the fences cut an hour later and put back again. You do have to stand up to them or else they'll walk all over you. It can drain you both physically and mentally.

Remove the horses, preferably take them in a trailer a 100 miles away and let them go. He'll have a job finding them. Plough up the field (or burn it off as Bluebells suggests) There isn't much feeding value in bare soil.

Do they have a water supply there in the field? a stream? If it's a water trough, then cut off the water supply.

Put up a sign saying " Poison Laid, Stay out!" They'll think twice about running the risk of getting their horses poisoned.

Close off any entrances with large mass concrete bollards like those the Co Councils have been using lately.

If he was in my part of the country, the horses would either disappear one night and else be shot

hope this helps

I would be amazed if the Guards would not help............have you contacted them?? If you have what was their response? I really do feel for you, what a horrible situation. LS.

Re: Adverse Possession

Thank you for your replies, they are saying they are in his land 14 years whereas in fact they're only there 4 years. They paid rent for 2 years and after that time they were told to leave. So it's basically there word against my granduncles.

It seems from the replies above he only has 2 options 1. stand up to them (unfortuntely wouldn't even attempt to do that) or 2. take them to court (he doesn't have the money).

I know it is a difficult situation, but I think you are being a bit defeatist here. If your grand uncle is frail, broke and elderly, then it is up to you, his family, to stand up to them for him. Break down their fences, release the horses, plough up the garden, put up your own fence and gate. Show up at your grand uncle's property and confront them yourself. Bring friends with you if you have to.

The squatters have no legal right to the land, they are just intimidating your grand uncle (and you too by the sounds of it). They haven't a legal leg to stand on, their stance is just based on fear. But make sure you report the matter to the Gardai anyway.

You need to show a little more backbone on your grand uncle's behalf, in my opinion.

Re: Adverse Possession

Thanks for your advice, we'll be going to the solicitor to get him to present a complaint to the gardai as McCrack suggested.

You're right I don't have any backbone but from what I know and hear of these people, it wouldn't be the wisest thing for both my family and my granduncle to embark on a battle with them, I think it would make the situation worse.

I will keep you updated on the outcome.

Roball,
Good luck with the legal route and we'll await news of a satisfactory outcome.

I am certain some enterprising former garda out there could help. Have a look for security services or chat to some gardai about former colleagues.

sorry to hear about your troubles,

listen the law means f** all here, stand up to them, as a previous poster has said, it's your property or family property after all,

If you need numbers ask cousins,friends, work colleagues, i'm sure they'd all be disgusted, do you know any gardai or friends that mihgt know a garda that could have a private word....

I hate this kind of thing......if all comes to all.. i'm sure i could come up with a few... its the only kind of language these people know...

Why ? just because you've read a paragraph form the RTE website !!!

I have thankfully needed their assistance in the past and very grateful to the boys in blue !!
So what happens when the Garda has 'a quiet word' and finds himself on wrong end of a complaint to the Garda Ombudsman about Garda interference in a non-Garda matter?

So what happens when the Garda has 'a quiet word' and finds himself on wrong end of a complaint to the Garda Ombudsman about Garda interference in a non-Garda matter?

There is a difference between a quite word , and bashing someone's head in.

One suggestion that might be practical is to install a CCTV camera or cameras to overlook the field. He could conceal these pretty well or put protection around them so that the invaders can't throw stones up and smash them. This would give him video evidence of their activity to go to the Guards with and then make a formal complaint. It would also give him footage to go to the media with, if necessary. You say that they broke his windows once when he asked them to leave the first time. If they ever tried that again, the CCTV footage would be there and he'd have an open and shut case for vandalism and harassment.

At the very least, he could get the Guards out to call on them and 'make enquiries' e.g. are the horses legally owned, are their cars all registered and taxed, who are they, any criminal convictions etc. Make them feel uncomfortable.

I appreciate he's elderly / frail so probably doesn't want trouble but the Guards are the right people to approach as it's their job to protect law-abiding, quiet citizens like your granduncle who can't protect themselves. It sounds like this 'family' or clan are well able to look after themselves and probably familiar to the Gardai already so put the wind up them with some CCTV footage and nosy Guards poking around and they'll soon be gone, I'd bet.

There is a difference between a quite word , and bashing someone's head in.
The clear implication in this case was that 'gentle persuasion' from anyone was not going to be effective, and threats would be required. But even it it was a 'quiet word', do we really want Gardai getting involved in civil matters like this?

The OP is clearly in a very difficult situation, but I don't see a solution available from Gardai and quiet words.

Back