Can bullying "tenants" claim adverse possession on my grand uncle's 1ac garden?

If "persuasion" was an option available to the OP I don't think they'd be posting here. I think think they are looking for other options.

That said I don't think there are any options here. They are bullying the're way into to steal the land, and eventually the house and the rest of the property.

Theres no avoiding a battle, legal or force of will of some sort to dislodge them.

I wonder what would make the land unattractive to them? I dunno.

I'd like to suggest a wild idea that may help.

How about organising a female (less likely to get thumped) with a disposable camera (less expensive than a dslr to replace) to take loads of photos of the unwanted visitors, their horses, cars, number plates, etc.

If landowners permission has been given and its in public then no-one can complain but documenting someone who is doing something shifty often focuses their mind and they might have a re-think.

Get the horses taken away by an animal pound - say they were abandoned.

Any vehicles left - report to local council as abandoned.

Anything else left on property - report as illegal dumping and get removed.

Refuse to talk to the bullies - just continue the above every time it happens and it will soon be too much hastle for them to leave anything on the property.

Should also think about ways of either securing or sterlising the property so that it can no longer be accessed or used by the bullies. I assume your relative is too old to drive, so one option is to completely block off all vehicular access - not by a gate - by something more permanent. I'd also remove all internal fences within the property so that nothing can be sectioned off and get all the grass vegitation completely removed with one of those sprays - dont know what called, but you sometimes see people completely de-vegitating their gardens before landscaping etc. Also cut off the water supply to the garden.

No access, no grass or water - not much use for horses.

lock the gate its your land if they break the lock,lock it again and warn them about cctv,inform the gards,keep locking it,each time they enter they trespass keep informing the gards about the trespass,eventually a history will form which a solicitor will be able to work with.

Go down to the station to report in person each time and insist on a Pulse number.

Get the name of the Superintendent in charge.

You need to make their leaving the lesser of 2 evils.........

I've contacted the solicitor's office about making a formal complaint to the gardai, he's to come back to me on Monday (was out of office until then). Can't wait to see what he's to say.

I am in fighting spirit and these people will be removed, thanks to everyone for the advice and most of all getting me fired up. My granduncle is now staying at a friends house too nervous in his own home, they actually had the cheek to put a lock on his gate so he now can't even park into his own drive.

I am furious, I am going to try the legal route first but one way or another I will get them out, it is now my sole mission. It will be legal route then I'll also be contacting the health board, councillors, gardai and press if all else fails.

What kind of country is it, to let this crap happen, we've already been to the gardai and they said contact a solicitor, it's my granduncle's property pure and simple, there should be no questions asked, just f**k them out.

I've contacted the solicitor's office about making a formal complaint to the gardai, he's to come back to me on Monday (was out of office until then). Can't wait to see what he's to say.

I am in fighting spirit and these people will be removed, thanks to everyone for the advice and most of all getting me fired up. My granduncle is now staying at a friends house too nervous in his own home, they actually had the cheek to put a lock on his gate so he now can't even park into his own drive.

I am furious, I am going to try the legal route first but one way or another I will get them out, it is now my sole mission. It will be legal route then I'll also be contacting the health board, councillors, gardai and press if all else fails.

What kind of country is it, to let this crap happen, we've already been to the gardai and they said contact a solicitor, it's my granduncle's property pure and simple, there should be no questions asked, just f**k them out.

I'm so glad to know your Granduncle is away from the house.
Make sure his house is insured for fire, theft, malicious damage etc.

Get that cctv asap, and don't put it on the house - who knows how that house might catch fire, especially if it is empty.
Put up a dummy camera as well, where it is visible, to let them know that you mean business.

Do what csirl said, and they may realise that they are no longer dealing with an elderly man on his own. Get the ISPCA out as well.

While the Gardai might say this is a civil matter, if trespass, intimidation, threats ( to seize/steal his land ), and forcing a man to move out of his own home, is not a crime, then it would appear that we live in a very primitive society.

What sort of neighbours has he got, who said that they won't contradict the squatter's claim that they are there fourteen years? Every one in the area should be helping this man.

I wish you success. This is not just about an acre of ground now. It is about restoring a quality of life to your Granduncle.

I would suggest someone moves into your Granduncles house if it is vacant. An empty house like this is just too much of an invitation to the likes of these people. You might find that they have moved into the house and now you are trying to remove them from the house as well as the land. They could lie and say they have been lodging with him for years and this could make things awkward.

Would agree with Larkenn not to leave the house unocccupied. It's just inviting further trouble and hassle down the line. If these people should happen to squat in the house, you will have an even more difficult job to get rid of them. They'll no doubt be delighted to see your grand-uncle moving out. I'm glad to hear you're fired up now to stand up to them and to sort this out. Good on you.

Back