Buying Wine for Wedding

I haven't often bought wine in Lidl but the last two times I did it was vinegar. I won't be buying it there again. Could have just been bad luck but I won't be testing out that theory!

whats wrong with Aldi and Lidi??? i drink it all the time - Am I going to die now????
I wouldn't use it for a wedding though as a lot of people would know it came from there and some snobs are bound to stick their oar in!

Not much of a wine buff, but about a year ago I bought a really nice Chablis in Lidl. I don't usually buy in Ireland anyway because we go over to France about twice a year and tend to try to buy over there. I'm really curious too as to why wine from Lidl would be different to wine anywhere else? I also bought a nice Cremant from Aldi around the same time ( stocks at home must have been gone!).

www.vinatis.com french website, a bit hard to navigate but you can translate it into english and go back to french then. free delivery on 18 bottles or over. I have used them many times and good service etc. no hassle.

You've got to bear in mind that if you're buying a bottle of wine anywhere in Ireland for a fiver, the contents of the bottle are going to be worth just a few cent.

Excise is a standard €2.05 on a bottle of wine here (€4.10 for sparkling). Add to that the cost of the bottle, labelling, transport, the mark-ups for the various parties involved, etc., and then VAT on top of all that, you can see the wine itself is worth a fraction of that of the contents of a bottle of water!!
Leo

I would not recommend buying wine from Aldi or Lidl. I do not want to go into the details why, but that is my personal opinion/advice.

No really this could be a matter of life of death...........Aldi wine not bad at all as far as I am concerned. Cheap, cheerful and great fun trying them all to weed out the vinegar!

Come on we need to know now :eek:

whats wrong with Aldi and Lidi??? i drink it all the time - Am I going to die now????
I wouldn't use it for a wedding though as a lot of people would know it came from there and some snobs are bound to stick their oar in!

Why would anyone invite a "snob" to any party ie: wedding or other?

C'mon Kalel, I need to know too! I am a regular there, and apart from the prices creeping up recently I'm a big fan of many of their wines. Is there something I need to know??

One of the red best wines to go on sale here in the last year, very good quality balanced with amazing value, is currently on offer in Dunnes at €7.99 - Palo Alto Reserva 2005 from Chile. Seriously, get a bottle of this and I guarantee you will go back for a case. Dunnes cannot keep it in stock. It was also recommended in the Irish Times before Christmas. We used it for two recent family functions... went down a bomb. There is no need to spend a lot of money on wine for a wedding.

Try also the Chateau Les Maurins Bordeaux 2004 @ €6.99 also from Dunnes.

I have no connection with Dunnes or the drinks industry, but, like a bottle of wine at the weekend!

www.vinatis.com french website, a bit hard to navigate but you can translate it into english and go back to french then. free delivery on 18 bottles or over. I have used them many times and good service etc. no hassle.

Did you have to pay Irish VAT or excise duty on the wine you bought?

Did you have to pay Irish VAT or excise duty on the wine you bought?

Yes, Irish excise is included in the Vinatis price, as you're sourcing from another EU country, you pay VAT at source.
Leo

If you were able to go to Spain (or arrange shipping), I would tell you where to get a box of 12 bottles of ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS red wine, Rioja for 20 euro the box!! The bottles don't have a sticker yet, that's why they are so cheap. Top quality wine, best price ever.

My fave white wine at the moment is Louis Latour which retails normally at €13.99 and is reduced in Supervalu to €9.99 - this is still alot to spend on wine for the wedding so I was wondering if anyone can recommend a similar white wine at cheaper price? also any recommendations on a good keenly priced red rioja?

Has anyone bought Chilean wine currently on offer in Superquinn? If so, which ones do you recommend?

a lot of people would know it came from there and some snobs are bound to stick their oar in!
I would have thought snobs would not know what wine was stocked in aldi/lidl?
Seeing as the question is being asked, put me in the "am I going to die from drinking cheap aldi/lidl wine?" questioning group too.

Superquinn have lovely Ozzie wine called Warra River for 5.49 a bottle. We had this for our wedding and it was fab. They gave us 10% off as we bought a load. Why not pick up a bottle of each for the weekend ;)

According to their website, Aldi have 1er cru Chablis for 11.99.

I seem to recall that Lidl also have Marlborough (NZ) Cab Sauv (or is it Sauv blanc?) for 8.99 and it is very drinkable stuff. It must be, I can't remember what it is!

There is a really nice white in Tescos, its Frascati, usually 8.99 a bottle but if you buy the 'selected by Tesco' its 5.49, really really nice.

havent a clue about reds...

if ya buy in tesco make sure you use your club card so at least you get money off vouchers in the future.

my 2p worth would be for Nedenburg for both red and white.

Back