Buying Wine for Wedding

P

pixie

Want to buy wine for our wedding in 5 weeks time. Ideally looking at sauvignon blanc or pinot grigio for the white and rioja for the red. does anyone know of good wine deals going on at the moment?

Don't know if this is of any use to you but Superquinn started a Chilean Wine sale this week and prices look fine. Otherwise I suggest a trip up North where prices are keener.

Don't forget to factor in the corkage that will most likely be charged by the venue and don't be afraid to haggle.

Thanks for your replies. Where in the Northwest do you recommend?

Tescos have an excellent wine sale on at the moment with up to 25% off on a number of brands. I bought a lot of Eagle Hawk Semillon Chardonnay and Merlot for a party at approx. E6.70 per bottle which is a very good price.

But I think the sale ends today.

mf

I bought about 300 bottles (red/white/sparkling) for my wedding in O'Briens and got almost €1000 discount, they could have an outlet close to you and they also do online sales. Look up the wines online and dont be afraid to email and ask for a discount on the quantity you require. They deliver right to the door of your house or hotel.

A lovely Rioja is El Coto. The Irish distribs. are Mackenway or I've seen it in some supermarkets (e.g. JCs in Swords)

If going to France is not an option (there may still be spaces left on the remaining Irish Ferries mini-cruises this side of the Summer), then O'Briens is a good bet. Look for any special offers which they may have and then haggle for as big as discount as possible..... Haggle with the hotel about corkage too.....

I just saw an ad for Dunnes in the Indo...they're giving 30% back on all wine and champagne this weekend. Someone else will know the ins and outs of this but I think it means you get vouchers or something like Superclub points to the value of 30% of the wine to set against your groceries down the line.
Might be worth looking at too

yes as above the north is much better in price and only 2 hours away great road now

Northern Ireland is much cheaper for drink. Surely the "2 hours away" depends on where you start out from? The OP could be in Cork and you in Athlone for example. :confused:

Pixie, where are you?

We got ours from a supplier in Westport and it was fantastic for the price.

Hi Nige
I am based in Galway and would be very interested in the details for the supplier in Westport. which wines did you select?

If you want a luvverly Rioja, try Marques de Caceres....not cheap (€11-12) but sure you could have it at the top table ;)

Hi Nige
I am based in Galway and would be very interested in the details for the supplier in Westport. which wines did you select?

The red was a very drinkable rioja and I can't remember what the white was other than it was gorgeous (and I'm not a white drinker normally).

The guy who runs the shop (whose details I'll get for you this evening) is brilliant. We told him what we liked and he gave us a box with a mix of wines that might suit. We'd a great evening or two trying them!

Is the wine in Aldi or Lidl any good. I remember paying £20 (in old money) for a bottle of white in a restaurant in Kenmare some years ago, and later found the same wine in Aldi priced €4.99.
Its yummy by the way:D

Is the wine in Aldi or Lidl any good. I remember paying £20 (in old money) for a bottle of white in a restaurant in Kenmare some years ago, and later found the same wine in Aldi priced €4.99.
Its yummy by the way:D

I would not recommend buying wine from Aldi or Lidl. I do not want to go into the details why, but that is my personal opinion/advice.

Back